Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

Silly question here.  For all the blather from Rider Nation about the $$$ they bring in and how they're "propping the league up", does the CFL actually get much of a cut, if any, from CFL teams' merch and ticket sales?  I assumed that teams keep what they make with possibly a % going to the league from merchandise.  Does anyone know how it actually works?

I know the big league money maker is the TV contract.  As someone pointed out on this site earlier TSN wouldn't have pumped big bucks into the contract if there weren't good viewer numbers across the league and sponsers wanting their ads to be seen nationwide.  Don't think Saskatchewan by themselves would have TSN giving a damn.

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Silly question here.  For all the blather from Rider Nation about the $$$ they bring in and how they're "propping the league up", does the CFL actually get much of a cut, if any, from CFL teams' merch and ticket sales?  I assumed that teams keep what they make with possibly a % going to the league from merchandise.  Does anyone know how it actually works?

I know the big league money maker is the TV contract.  As someone pointed out on this site earlier TSN wouldn't have pumped big bucks into the contract if there weren't good viewer numbers across the league and sponsers wanting their ads to be seen nationwide.  Don't think Saskatchewan by themselves would have TSN giving a damn.

Money from merchandise sold at the Riders stores goes to the Riders. Ticket sales for each game are split between the 2 teams iirc (not sure what the split is). The thing is a lot of Rider fans think that when the Riders are on the road that half of the tickets for the game are bought by Rider fans.

I've said it before, the TV deal with TSN is the biggest part of league revenue. There is no way that TSN does that deal if the ratings are driven only by Saskatchewan. I've never seen a breakdown by region but the games must get a decent draw in Ontario and to a lesser extent Alberta and BC. It makes no sense for TSN to do it otherwise.

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

That's an interesting question.

The whole notion of Saskatchewan propping up the league is laughable garbage, and there's not an ounce of truth to that.  But how it actually works?

Let's start by not talking about that other moldy team at all.

When I buy something from the Bomber store, they get all the cash.  But do the Bombers keep all the cash, or does a portion go to the CFLPA?  Note that I did not say the CFL.  And when someone buys Bomber merch from the silly little rack at Walmart or Kandahar Tire, how does the pie get sliced then?  And how does that change if I buy Bomber merch off the CFL website?  There will be three different answers to these questions, and I could only guess at them.

Back to the total crap Rider fans are suggesting above, there is only one economic value they add to "the league", and that is other teams experience a bump in ticket sales when the Riders are in town.  None of the other nonsense suggested results in revenue for anyone other than the Riders, and to continue to suggest simply cements their status as the league's most insufferable fans.

45 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Money from merchandise sold at the Riders stores goes to the Riders. Ticket sales for each game are split between the 2 teams iirc (not sure what the split is). The thing is a lot of Rider fans think that when the Riders are on the road that half of the tickets for the game are bought by Rider fans.

That's understandable.  Numbers, gizzintas and figgerin ain't their strongsuit.

3 hours ago, mbrg said:

That's an interesting question.

The whole notion of Saskatchewan propping up the league is laughable garbage, and there's not an ounce of truth to that.  But how it actually works?

Let's start by not talking about that other moldy team at all.

When I buy something from the Bomber store, they get all the cash.  But do the Bombers keep all the cash, or does a portion go to the CFLPA?  Note that I did not say the CFL.  And when someone buys Bomber merch from the silly little rack at Walmart or Kandahar Tire, how does the pie get sliced then?  And how does that change if I buy Bomber merch off the CFL website?  There will be three different answers to these questions, and I could only guess at them.

Back to the total crap Rider fans are suggesting above, there is only one economic value they add to "the league", and that is other teams experience a bump in ticket sales when the Riders are in town.  None of the other nonsense suggested results in revenue for anyone other than the Riders, and to continue to suggest simply cements their status as the league's most insufferable fans.

Having spent some time in the sporting goods industry I would expect the breakdown to be something like this.

Each team that operates a store or any other store buys their products from a supplier. Whether it is Adidas, New Era, the BBQ Covers etc etc etc. These suppliers would pay licensing fees to the League to be allowed to use the logos. That would be where the league would get revenue from store sales. The Bomber Store or any other store would not return any portion of their profits to the CFL.

Does the CFLPA get any proceeds from any of this? I wouldn't really expect so, they are a union and should be funded by their membership. I understand that the CFL and member teams contribute to the benefits of the CFLPA but I would be surprised if they funded the operation through licensing fees.

Proceeds from merchandise sales at CFL.ca site? It would depend on the deal the league has with the teams, I expect these revenues would be shared between the CFL & Teams or the teams would be against the league having a store and would rather all traffic be directed to their own site.

On 2016-08-14 at 11:28 PM, Ripper said:

Ok so what was the laugh?  We just has a sellout to watch a 1-5 team play. Name another city that would have happened in?

Winnipeg. 2013. The 1-5 Bombers lost to the Ti-Cats (thus going 1-6) in front of nearly 33,000 at Investor's Group Field. That was also after 22 full seasons without a championship.

So if you're giving props to Rider fans for their commitment to a losing team, then you have to give HUGE props to Bomber fans!

Edited by comedygeek

58 minutes ago, comedygeek said:

Winnipeg. 2013. The 1-5 Bombers lost to the Ti-Cats (thus going 1-6) in front of nearly 33,000 at Investor's Group Field. That was also after 22 full seasons without a championship.

So if you're giving props to Rider fans for their commitment to a losing team, then you have to give HUGE props to Bomber fans!

Don't go using facts on rider fans. They don't like those things.

16 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Some clown over at Riderfans was suggesting that they should all boycott the next Riders game in Calgary and then see how happy Mitchell is when the Stamps can't afford to pay his salary.

SMH

Edited by gcn11

3 hours ago, comedygeek said:

Most of those 33, 000 fans were roughrider fans generating revenue for the league. Sheesh.

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Some clown over at Riderfans was suggesting that they should all boycott the next Riders game in Calgary and then see how happy Mitchell is when the Stamps can't afford to pay his salary.

SMH

I would absolutely love it. There are always ass clowns from the gap wearing their rider **** to mcmahon stadium even when the Riders are no where to be seen. 

I maintain that my favourite CFL moment is the 09 Grey Cup. ******* were annoying as **** all day and watching them all instantly be silenced with one simple too many men penalty was glorious. 

C0TuzPtP_normal.jpg

#Bombers Kevin Fogg and Clarence Denmark are named two of the three Week 8 CFL Top Performers.

What ever happened to Offensive, Defensive, ST, and Canadian player of the week? Now it's just top three regardless of position?

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

4 hours ago, comedygeek said:

I was at that game!  Kito Poblah dropped a sure TD in the end zone!  Not that it would have mattered anyway...

38 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/08/16/riders-acquire-veteran-dbs-bennett-hecht-from-stamps/

Looks like the Riders need to make room for two roster spots.

Im a little bit surprised these two hook up on a trade. Imop calgary should have held out for an apology to be included jk

Decent trade for the riders, gotta try some thing i guess. As for calgary i wonder if this is a futures thing or if they are close to a deal with one of the neg listers. I miss the days of more of the neg list being made public.