Grey Cup - Game Week Thread

Mark H.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

That is offensive to actual game managers like Matt Nichols and Kevin Glenn.

Montreal is quarterbacked by a 3rd stringer cosplaying as a starting quarterback. All those sacks fajardo takes aren't on the offensive line.

WLPA00w.gif

36 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Thought I saw Proulx on the sideline at the East final game.  He was standing there beside Maas while he was having one of his many mental outbursts....

Yup! I saw him too. 

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

If you could build a team of 46 Rasheed Bailey's you may never lose a game. 

Id run through a brick wall for that man. How could you not like Bailey? The guy is pure motivation, exactly what you look for in a teammate and he's a damn decent receiver too. I hope they find a way to keep this guy, love em.

7 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Sure glad the Bombers found a way to bring back Bailey back after signing Lawler, not the flashiest but he gives 100% on every play gets his hands dirty and does what the team wants him to do

I'm sure glad Bailey was willing to take a big discount to come back. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

**** off with that noise, Matt Nichols was many times the qb fajardo is.  The fact that you compare Nichols with a shoulder injury that ultimately ended his career to fajardo says it all really. 

Matt Nichols in his last few years with us and his time in Ottawa was definitely worse then current Fajardo.      But both guys equally healthy and at their prime it isn't even close.    

Fajardo currently is a game manager and a dink and dunker,  I'd imagine it's very low odds that he takes the team on his back and makes big plays to win the game.   

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I'd say this year would classify as dominant as well. 1st in just about every meaningful statistical category, 1st in the West, and onto the Grey Cup with a dominant victory over our next closest rival.  I guess we could have been more dominant, but that's really splitting hairs as far as I am concerned. 2021 and 2023 can end with the exact same outcome. Not sure how they are not remotely the same. I mean we like to wax poetic about 2021 because we didn't drop a deuce in a game or two but our win % this year is virtually the same and our margin of victory is better.

I’d I had to define them, I’d say 2021 was a historical team. All time elite of the elite. 
 This team id put in a level of the west semi and final team in 2019. Had holes but has the ability to fix most all of em. 
 2021 the gap between us and the whole rest of the league was miles and miles deeper. Teams couldn’t score on us at all in the 4th. One of the stingiest defences ever and an offence that could dominant and blow out any one with ease. That 21 team had soo much junk time with back ups in and foot off the gas. 
 This offence is more explosive but less consistent and not as good at protecting the ball. 
 Zach was sacked more in 4ish games than all of 2021 regular season. 
 Win rate and even differential aren’t be all and end all stats. By those stats the Argos this year were better than any of our 19+ teams. And they weren’t. 

I can understand the optimism of facing Montreal in the grey cup... However, I really hope the bombers don't make the same mistake they made last year of overlooking Toronto.  Yes, we dominated Montreal this year and they have a lot of momentum.  Keep in mind that the Hometown crowd that the bombers feed off of won't be there in Hamilton. that is something to consider... Although I don't think the players needed to play at their top level.  

Anyways, I really hope everyone here is right and it will be a cakewalk but I have seen the bombers play down to their opponent and it's not pretty.

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Matt Nichols in his last few years with us and his time in Ottawa was definitely worse then current Fajardo.      But both guys equally healthy and at their prime it isn't even close.    

Fajardo currently is a game manager and a dink and dunker,  I'd imagine it's very low odds that he takes the team on his back and makes big plays to win the game.   

Hard to compare a battered and broken qb to a young raw guy. 
 Nichols didn’t throw games away. Cf throws away a lot. Both teams were carried by great Ds and special teams. 
 As a member of the meh Nichols club, and probably president, Nichols was always at his best in the play offs, and late close games. 
 Nichols had arm limitations, cf has brain limitations. Nichols did the most with what he had, cf doesn’t. If Nichols and cf traded physical attributes entirely, Nichols would’ve been better and cf would’ve been a hs back up at best. 
 Nichols was a leader, the opposite of a head basket, and tough as nails mentally and physically. 

I liked cf in college with Nevada. But I think the dirty old Regina state of mind under the disciples of jones ruined him. Right now I’d take cf as a qb2 running poopkup type stuff with a real passing qb as qb 3. 

Montreal is a team capable of winning from capitalizing on other teams mistakes. They do not have the ability to win at this level of competition without those mistakes. Playing clean football has to be our focus as it pretty much assures us victory.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Nichols in his final year with us was the favorite for MOP until his injury.

12 hours ago, bearpants said:

this was a great read, Thanks @SpeedFlex27.... the old school days were wild... imagine Dru Brown realizes he's not going to unseat Zach as the starter so he just goes and becomes an all-star DB... though I guess TSN thinks he plays there...

Thank you, bearpants. The days of small rosters & players that could go both ways. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Montreal is a team capable of winning from capitalizing on other teams mistakes. They do not have the ability to win at this level of competition without those mistakes. Playing clean football has to be our focus as it pretty much assures us victory.

Nichols in his final year with us was the favorite for MOP until his injury.

The guy was nothing special outside of the one season where he came into camp in terrific shape and actually had some mobility.  That was the one year he threw for more than 4000 yards and more then 18 touchdowns.  He threw 28.  The other seasons he was simply an improvement over what we were used to and helped the team to be respectable. I’d take Kevin Glenn over Matt Nichols for sure. Even so I’m eternally greatfull for what he did for the team by helping to get us to the point where we were on the cusp of being great. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I’d I had to define them, I’d say 2021 was a historical team. All time elite of the elite. 
 This team id put in a level of the west semi and final team in 2019. Had holes but has the ability to fix most all of em. 
 2021 the gap between us and the whole rest of the league was miles and miles deeper. Teams couldn’t score on us at all in the 4th. One of the stingiest defences ever and an offence that could dominant and blow out any one with ease. That 21 team had soo much junk time with back ups in and foot off the gas. 
 This offence is more explosive but less consistent and not as good at protecting the ball. 
 Zach was sacked more in 4ish games than all of 2021 regular season. 
 Win rate and even differential aren’t be all and end all stats. By those stats the Argos this year were better than any of our 19+ teams. And they weren’t. 

I would take the 2019 team over the 2022 & 2023 teams - simply because they performed better in the cup.  You didn't hope they'd win, you knew they'd win. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

The guy was nothing special outside of the one season where he came into camp in terrific shape and actually had some mobility.  That was the one year he threw for more than 4000 yards and more then 18 touchdowns.  He threw 28.  The other seasons he was simply an improvement over what we were used to and helped the team to be respectable. I’d take Kevin Glenn over Matt Nichols for sure. Even so I’m eternally greatfull for what he did for the team by helping to get us to the point where we were on the cusp of being great. 

To be fair to Matt, he was a huge part of turning this franchise around and having it blend into the current run we're on. He doesn't get hurt, we may not even have won a Cup yet.

7 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

So where can one find any of these live interviews?  Little on CFL.ca or the Bomber website, and it doesn't look like TSN bothered to send anyone down the pike from T.O. on "media day".

Found a great photo piece.

https://www.cfl.ca/blue-bombers-take-on-grey-cup-media-day/

Interview with Holm.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/15/landry-bombers-holm-sharpened-by-teammate-schoen/

Interview with Grant.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/15/oleary-grant-sizes-up-another-big-game-moment/

Interview with Houston.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/15/houstons-patience-key-to-help-bombers-finish-the-job/

Can't find anything else.