Grey Cup: Calgary vs Toronto

JCon

I disagree with some of the posters here saying Mitchell and the OC should have played it safe and gone for the field goal with 25 seconds left.  I doubt Calgary has a better chance than 50-50 to win in overtime.  It's not like they marched it down the field at will on every drive during regulation.

When you have an opportunity from inside the 30 to win it regulation you take it.  Unfortunately, Bo should have recognized the receiver in the end zone was being double covered and thrown it out of bounds.  Terrible mistake on his part.  Calgary would have had another chance at a TD with all the time left too.  Take two calculated shots and if that fails kick the field goal and go to overtime.

I am pretty happy to see the Argos win considering all the uncertainty facing the franchise heading into last off season.  I used to cheer for Calgary at one time , but I started to find it more difficult to do that around 2015  given how cocky Mitchell became.  Too much success at too young an age perhaps?  He won his first cup when he was 24 or 25?  Now Mitchell has lost the last 2 Grey Cups.  The 4 interceptions he threw in those games played a big role in those losses.

A took a peek at the Calgary Stampeders forum and there is some poster over there crying to the other 5 guys on that site about how unfair the CFL is having a team play a one-game winner take all format for the championship...coin-flip basically.  Playoffs should go back to best two-out-of-three or a two game cumulative score...even the Grey Cup lol.  Sore loser in my opinion suffering from recency bias due to the Stamps recent regular season success the past 10 years and previous to that, the 90s.  Most teams in the CFL could try to justify a similar system to right perceived wrongs of the past.

Edited by blueandgoldguy

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I disagree with some of the posters here saying Mitchell and the OC should have played it safe and gone for the field goal with 25 seconds left.  I doubt Calgary has a better chance than 50-50 to win in overtime.  It's not like they marched it down the field at will on every drive during regulation.

When you have an opportunity to from inside the 30 to win it regulation you take it.  Unfortunately, Bo should have recognized the receiver in the end zone was being double covered and thrown it out of bounds.  Terrible mistake on his part.  Calgary would have had another chance at a TD with all the time left too.  Take two calculated shots and if that fails kick the field goal and go to overtime.

I am pretty happy to see the Argos win considering all the uncertainty facing the franchise heading into the last off season.  I used to cheer for Calgary at one , but I started to find it more difficult to do that around 2015  given how cocky Mitchell became.  Too much success at too young an age perhaps?  He won his first cup when he was 24 or 25?  Now Mitchell has lost the last 2 Grey Cups.  The 4 interceptions he threw in those games played a big role in those losses.

A took a peek at the Calgary Stampeders forum and there is some poster over there crying to the other 5 guys on that site about how unfair the CFL is having a team play a one-game winner take all format for the championship...coin-flip basically.  Playoffs should go back to best two-out-of-three or a two game cumulative score...even the Grey Cup lol.  Sore loser in my opinion suffering from recency bias do to the Stamps recent regular season success the past 10 years and previous to that, the 90s.  Most teams in the CFL could try to justify a similar system to right perceived wrongs of the past.

Stamps are soft. Their fans blaming the weather or the system for their loss?? That's just crazy. Just go out & play harder than the other team. Make your own breaks. That's how you win. The Stamps continually choke. It's in the organization's DNA to choke. That's what they're about. They just choke.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Gotta send out an attaboy to Lirim --goes from the Bomber scrap heap to the grey cup-winning kicker in a couple short years. Love those redemption stories.

Did we send him to the scrap heap or did he decide to leave?  

Yesterday’s missed extra point was covered up by the pair of 2 pt converts thrown to Cross.

On 20/11/2017 at 11:50 AM, bluto said:

We're deserved underdogs. Calgary has been the class of the league and they beat us twice and were full value for the wins. We've come together well and are playing solid football in all 3 phases but we're still prone to mistakes and lacks of discipline. It should be a cut and dried Stampeder win.

But we were underdogs in 2004. And we were underdogs in 2012. And we've won in each of our prior 6 trips to the big dance. And nobody has more Cups than us. And nobody is even close in GC winning percentage. I say this not as a brag but as a plain fact: The Toronto Argonaut Football Club wins Grey Cups.

Maybe this is the year where the Law of Averages looks our way and the superior team stomps us. Frankly, it ought to happen.

But don't be at all surprised either if there's an Argo Bounce and we shock the league again and Ricky wins in a dramatic swan song... Argos Pull Together.

I ******* love my team.

In the same hotel as them. Partied all night. Tip: never get to the buffet after the o line has been there first. 

The Argo Bounce. It's real.

Heading home. No voice left. 8/10 hangover. Still not warmed up. Feeling fine.

Congrats to the Argos... happy for Ricky Ray, he;s one of my all-time favourite CFL QBs... very happy that Lirim got the game winning FG... I always liked him too...

But the Stamps... what a bunch of chokers.... Kamar Jordan might be the biggest anomaly on that team... had around 100 yards and a TD, then a game changing  fumble in the red zone... on the final drive he drops one right in his hands, then on the very next play he catches an over-the-shoulder, diving catch.... great player, but tough to rely on that kind of inconsistency...

The last play of the game... they didn't necessarily need to go safe and hand-off... but there's no reason to go endzone there... there was 20 seconds and they had a time out... check down if nothing is open, give it one more try and if it fails kick the FG and go to OT...

Harsh words from Marquay McDaniel about his team mate,  I don't disagree with him but yikes way to throw a team mate under the bus. 

I did find it funny on the radio this morning when the Hamilton PBP guy said that McDaniel was the biggest whiner in the league and how he complains on every single play.

Stamps arrogance cost em. BLM trying to play the hero and making the big passes the entire time. He wanted the highlight to be his toss into the endzone no question, instead it's him throwing a dumb dumb interception when they were in position to at least tie the game. Looks good on him cause he's really only a step above douchebags like Duron Carter. 

And then the Stamps players start pointing fingers at each other, hooo boy that's gonna be a fun offseason. Flying apart at the seams we can hope. 

20 minutes ago, max power said:

Did I not hear BLM on the pregame show talking about how he was planning to win not 1 or 2, but 10 grey cups in 15 years??  Or did I imagine that hilarious bit of arrogance?

Yes I heard that too and thought, wow are you kidding me?... funny thing we forget is Calgary almost choked away the 2014 GC also... if not for the (appropriately called) illegal block penalty at the end of the game, Hamilton wins that one...