Grey Cup: Calgary vs Toronto

JCon

I don't care about the outcome but I think the game will be good. Last chance to watch CFL football until spring. I didn't care about the outcomes of the East and West Finals but still found myself drawn to the games themselves.

Edited by JCon
Typos.

I understand the sort of wet blanket that Toronto's scant crowds kind of put on this, but I'd have no problem with Ricky Ray winning one more Cup just because he might choose to retire at the end of this one ....

Well maybe not, I know some QBs who haven't yet reached 40 sometimes decide to keep going when they win cups (AKA Calvillo who didn't quit until he was forced to).  But if I was Ray, I'd probably be thinking ok, I just won the cup, I got a chance to end my career on a high note, I think I'll do it.  Just my take, and I like seeing QBs call it quits without having an injury do that for them.

We're deserved underdogs. Calgary has been the class of the league and they beat us twice and were full value for the wins. We've come together well and are playing solid football in all 3 phases but we're still prone to mistakes and lacks of discipline. It should be a cut and dried Stampeder win.

But we were underdogs in 2004. And we were underdogs in 2012. And we've won in each of our prior 6 trips to the big dance. And nobody has more Cups than us. And nobody is even close in GC winning percentage. I say this not as a brag but as a plain fact: The Toronto Argonaut Football Club wins Grey Cups.

Maybe this is the year where the Law of Averages looks our way and the superior team stomps us. Frankly, it ought to happen.

But don't be at all surprised either if there's an Argo Bounce and we shock the league again and Ricky wins in a dramatic swan song... Argos Pull Together.

Edited by bluto
words

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

We're deserved underdogs. Calgary has been the class of the league and they beat us twice and were full value for the wins. We've come together well and are playing solid football in all 3 phases but we're still prone to mistakes and lacks of discipline. It should be a cut and dried Stampeder win.

But we were underdogs in 2004. And we were underdogs in 2012. And we've won in each of our prior 6 trips to the big dance. And nobody has more Cups than us. And nobody is even close in GC winning percentage. I say this not as a brag but as a plain fact: The Toronto Argonaut Football Club wins Grey Cups.

Maybe this is the year where the Law of Averages looks our way and the superior team stomps us. Frankly, it ought to happen.

But don't be at all surprised either if there's an Argo Bounce and we shock the league again and Ricky wins in a dramatic swan song... Argos Pull Together.

also, see: REDBLACKS, Ottawa c2016

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Calgary is going to stomp on them. Stamps by at least 2 majors. At least. 

I remember people saying this about the 100th GC between these two teams. And then the GC last season when the Stampeders were favoured to stomp the RedBlacks.

It's one game in a winner take all. Anything can happen in the big dance, but especially in the CFL.

I don't care who wins; I just want an entertaining game, similar to last year.

20 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I remember people saying this about the 100th GC between these two teams. And then the GC last season when the Stampeders were favoured to stomp the RedBlacks.

It's one game in a winner take all. Anything can happen in the big dance, but especially in the CFL.

I don't care who wins; I just want an entertaining game, similar to last year.

Funny thing, I remember the lead up to the 100th... Everyone was talking about the underdog Argos but I just couldn't see it. We were on an almighty roll and I knew that the matchups favoured us whichever way you looked at it... and we killed them.

This season... I'm not seeing an Argo win as likely.

But by God we've got a team that's come together and the offence and defence are clicking... we've an excellent coach who will do his best to put his team in a position to win... and we've 60 minutes of football to play.

Well, we all know how good it is for the Argos to win the CFL championship don't we? Y'know, for the good of the league and all. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I'll always remember Leo Cahill and Leon McQuay. Now that's an Argo bounce! 

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

Well, we all know how good it is for the Argos to win the CFL championship don't we? Y'know, for the good of the league and all. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I'll always remember Leo Cahill and Leon McQuay. Now that's an Argo bounce! 

It's ok JV5, just close your eyes, and think of the league

2 hours ago, bluto said:

nobody is even close in GC winning percentage. I say this not as a brag but as a plain fact: The Toronto Argonaut Football Club wins Grey Cups.

I am pretty god damned sick and tired of the Argos winning every cup they get into and the Bombers losing every cup they get into. Time to spread that luck around a little bit. ******* centre of the universe... Always trying to screw western Canada. 

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am pretty god damned sick and tired of the Argos winning every cup they get into and the Bombers losing every cup they get into. Time to spread that luck around a little bit. ******* centre of the universe... Always trying to screw western Canada

Clearly, that is the only reason to win a Grey Cup. Spite.

When you think of the word choke, the name Calgary Stampeders jumps right out at you. It'll be interesting to see if they shed that label this Sunday. I expect the collars will be tight on every player & coach for this game as there is a lot of pressure on them to win. The Argos? They've got nothing to lose so just go out, play hard, have fun & see what happens.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am pretty god damned sick and tired of the Argos winning every cup they get into and the Bombers losing every cup they get into. Time to spread that luck around a little bit. ******* centre of the universe... Always trying to screw western Canada. 

I can assure you there is no conspiracy. No one in Ontario cares that the West exists. They still believe we're governed by the Hudson's Bay Company.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't care about the outcome but I think the game will be good. Last chance to watch CFL football until spring. I didn't care about the outcomes of the East and West Finals but still found myself drawn to the games themselves.

in the same boat.  I could care less what happens but football is football.

I'm really sick of the Argos getting Grey Cups when their shitty fan base (present company excluded) doesn't deserve it......but I hate the Stamps fans more than anyone other than Riders fans. I'm also a Frito Ray Fan 4 Life, so all of that puts me firmly on the Argos side this weekend...