Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Something DT posted about Sergio: his average FG attempt was like 5-6 yards longer than anyone else's. I know it seemed like he wasn't as good for the Elks, but they literally trotted him out there for every long shot. 

And yet he still hit 26 of 29 last year. This really should settle the nerves of many fans, proof that this team isn't complacent and will always make changes to make them better. Also a bit of a sign for the rest of the league, be a quality organization and players want to play for you. 

I very much expect Walter's got a call from his agent "So, Sergio just got cut by the Elks, he will sign with you today for $X and not talk to anyone else if that works for you."

Edit: UGH!! I need more coffee before posting in the morning. I heard @DTonOB quote that 26 for 29 number and didn't realize it was PAT's not FG's. Field Goal percentage was still roughly 85% which I will take any time.

Edited by GCJenks
Added context/correction.

4 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

And yet he still hit 26 of 29 last year. This really should settle the nerves of many fans, proof that this team isn't complacent and will always make changes to make them better. Also a bit of a sign for the rest of the league, be a quality organization and players want to play for you. 

I very much expect Walter's got a call from his agent "So, Sergio just got cut by the Elks, he will sign with you today for $X and not talk to anyone else if that works for you."

I wouldn't even place a bet on who called who first. They probably got each other's voice mails as they dialed numbers simultaneously. 

I had just sent my buddies a message pointing out his release when I saw the "SIGNED" image. Whole thing was wrapped up in 20 minutes.

15 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Guess the Bombers aren't as sold on Legs as some members here.

Now, with Castillo here I can relax a bit. When Lieghhio kicks, I don't have to cross my fingers, close my eyes & say out loud anymore, "C'mon! C'mon!" And when he'd miss a convert or easy FG, I'd be yelling, "#@%^&*!!! I knew it! I knew it!!" My stress level should be a lot less much like when Jason Medlock was our kicker. He just had this aura of confidence around him that his teammates & fans could sense. With Lieghhio, he always seemed to be in panic mode half the time. 

15 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Guess the Bombers aren't as sold on Legs as some members here.

Nobody said that Legs shouldn't be challenged for a job.  A more accurate take would be that we shouldn't immediately throw him in the dumpster and instead allow him a chance to earn a role.

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now, with Castillo here I can relax a bit. When Lieghhio kicks, I don't have to cross my fingers, close my eyes & say out loud anymore, "C'mon! C'mon!" And when he'd miss a convert or easy FG, I'd be yelling, "#@%^&*!!! I knew it! I knew it!!" My stress level should be a lot less much like when Jason Medlock was our kicker. He just had this aura of confidence around him that his teammates & fans could sense. With Lieghhio, he always seemed to be in panic mode half the time. 

I'm all for giving him a fair chance to earn a kicking role and I am certainly no expert on kicking (or football for that matter) - but the thing that scares me most about Legs is my eyes don't like his place-kicking mechanics.  I don't know if it's his build or something else - he just doesn't look smooth ever.  His form is closer to a Tim Horton's kick for a million contestant than a pro (to my eyes).

Again, I remind you I have no idea what I'm talking about here in any technical sense.

I do like him as a punter, though.

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I wouldn't even place a bet on who called who first. They probably got each other's voice mails as they dialed numbers simultaneously. 

I had just sent my buddies a message pointing out his release when I saw the "SIGNED" image. Whole thing was wrapped up in 20 minutes.

In twitter time it was 20 minutes but in reality Castillo had been released earlier in the day and the announcement just hadn't gone out yet.  Still a very fast turn around though - Jeff Hamilton figures under 2 hours.

45 minutes ago, Mike said:

DB doesn’t worry me at all - I am wondering if we get a bit younger there this year though. 

I don't wanna say it, cause I don't like being That Guy, but I'm wondering if Rose isn't a guy that's a bit of a "surprise" cut this year, getting beat out by someone younger.... I know he played hurt last year but watching a lot of highlight packs lately and jeeze he got picked on a lot last year. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't wanna say it, cause I don't like being That Guy, but I'm wondering if Rose isn't a guy that's a bit of a "surprise" cut this year, getting beat out by someone younger.... I know he played hurt last year but watching a lot of highlight packs lately and jeeze he got picked on a lot last year. 

Yeah he's been mediocre since he came back from the NFL, but the guy was THE BEST DB in the league before he left. He's still young so i expect him to get back to his allstar form. Or hope so atleast.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Rose is the least of my concerns this year...he will bounce back.

I think the secondary will be one of our solid spots....top 2 in the league....I like the bodies we brought back and a couple of the new guys we recruited are intriguing.

Really looking forward to the rotational guys we brought in for the edge...TC gonna have some legit battles this year

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah I think we are going to have to brace ourselves for a few "surprise" cuts. You have to think we need shed some weight to get under the salary cap this year.

I just have no idea who it will be.

28 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Yeah I think we are going to have to brace ourselves for a few "surprise" cuts. You have to think we need shed some weight to get under the salary cap this year.

I just have no idea who it will be.

Yeah a lot of this core has been together for years. Any year we will see the changes start. 
 Salary cap wise most Guys are on affordable deals. Much more so than a year and two ago. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Any interesting future bighill replacements? Feel like that time is coming sooner rather than later 

Yes... I can't remember the names off hand but there's at least two really intriguing MACK prospects... 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Any interesting future bighill replacements? Feel like that time is coming sooner rather than later 

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yes... I can't remember the names off hand but there's at least two really intriguing MACK prospects... 

Joe Beckett is the big one. 6’4 240 and pretty effective in the pass rush. 
 I think biggie could be a very effective wil or even s in the cfl for several years. It’s just we gotta keep the ol off him. He’s never been huge and now he’s past the point where he can shed blocks to make tackles in the gap reliably. He still flies around like a 20 year old and hits like a beast. 

Cooper is the next prospect he got dressed a few times last year but barely played. Cole dressed for more games and saw more sts action but still not much on d. Both are tall thin athletic wil types. Lastly is clements who is stockier than both cole and cooper and was solid early in his relief of kyrie last year. Good tackler, but tended to end up on the back end of plays instead of making a good quick read and stopping a gain. 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

MAC (or MIKE) is a middle linebacker whose current iteration is a forever Bomber hero. MACK is a middling (at best) GM whose last iteration is a forever Bomber cancer. Please don’t mix the spelling up, seeing the wrong version gives me heart palpitations.