Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

“I don’t know that that would be really fair to anybody involved: my son, the players on this team, the coaches. I don’t know that that would be in anybody’s best interest but I don’t know. I can’t say one way or another,” O’Shea told 3DownNation. “My responsibility lies with our football team first and foremost in terms of that coaching hat. The dad side? I just want to see him keep playing as long as he can.”

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yeah...was gonna say...what was he watching??!?!...and if you look at the whole ball of wax from week 1 thru to the cup...with all the secondary turnover...injuries...guys playing hurt....guys apparently "having lost it" we still gave up fewest passing TD's....least amount of yards per game...and lowest completion percentage...or qb rating...one of them I think...maybe both....so all this moaning and groaning about the secondary is almost laughable

We going into camp with a healthy Rose and BA...who I see training often and is killing it...Lawrence who I see as a potential West All-star...Darby from the get go...we all know Nichols is the best db in the league, and it's not even close....Houston back healthy and in the mix right out of the gate, and some solid second yr guys who will be in tough with some real good TC prospects...our backend is least of worries.

With Barrington now in the fold....and that Beckett...and the incumbents I am a bit more at ease now too with the linebackers which was my big concern...and the Dline has some nice rotational parts now to sift thru to ease the load on the Jeffs, and get us back to that lethal dline rotation....that was the biggest thing that hurt us last yr...we didnt have roster depth, or makeup to do that pretty much all yr...especially when we traded away Wilcotts and turfed Mack....said right from get go the Loss of Kongbo and Hansen at start of the yr was gonna hurt us big time and mare than loss of Adams..Harris..Lawler...even Stove....and it did

Agreed- I think the overall age of the secondary is just fine - and our talent is deep. 

you didn’t even mention Parker - that’s how deep we are. 

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Bad idea imo.

I trust the judgement of our management. They've more than earned the benefit of the doubt.

For all we know, it could be a gentleman's agreement between the Osh's to let him get some game play on film in the preseason and hope another team takes a chance on him after cut-down day.

Just now, Mr. Perfect said:

I trust the judgement of our management. They've more than earned the benefit of the doubt.

For all we know, it could be a gentleman's agreement between the Osh's to let him get some game play on film in the preseason and hope another team takes a chance on him after cut-down day.

Could be a million things, even an opportunity to try him out and see if he can contribute as a special teams guy.

The one thing I really doubt is that it’s a legitimate chance to make the club as a receiver. 

I'd be shocked if MOSJ turns out to be anything more than another body in camp.  He was an undrafted receiver in a fairly shallow draft so my expectations are low.  That being said, if he does manage to snag a spot on the roster, I have no doubt it'd be because he earned it, and not because of nepotism.  

Just now, Mike said:

Could be a million things, even an opportunity to try him out and see if he can contribute as a special teams guy.

The one thing I really doubt is that it’s a legitimate chance to make the club as a receiver. 

yeah....I see no shot of him making the club as a back up receiver in any way shape or form...The Highschool kid we signed that had Alabama after him would/should be kept before him on the PR as his upside potential right now is untapped...and likely quite high

Pygrome looks interesting. Gets caught up using a wind up on deep balls, but doesn’t seem like he lacks arm strength. Looks much better when he’s using touch and taking some thing off the ball. Pretty savoy at eluding pressure and throwing on the run. Not a crazy dual threat qb. More mobile and kg esq. He lists between 5’9 and 5’10 and looks pretty stocky at 200-205. 

Not a lot of experience or film on Jackson. Testing numbers aren’t crazy athletic but certainly athletic enough. Likely not refined at combine tests as well. A teams and high character guy. This smacks of a guy mac or another scout saw in practice / pro day and he was just beasting. Kind of a flyer and i like the big strong de with versatility for that kind of camp addition. 

cole looks really good. A monster kr guy who transitioned into a wr role. 35 yards kick off and 26 yards per punt return in his best years with 4 tds. then had a huge senior year as a wr. Also put up solid running numbers in college. 
 Alleged 4.3 speed was disappointed in a high 4.4 pro day. But had a 10 yard split of 1.46 which is insane. 37.5” vert and monster 127” broad jump. He also covered kicks in college and the nfl some and is supposed to be a good tackler. Which is great to have. Put up 46 tackles on teams in college. Don’t often see under sized d2 guys go to the nfl and make a pr little on get in some games. This guy has some lofty potential. 

Edited by wbbfan

Jackson is an interesting one. 30 year old who didn’t play high school football and walked on at Nebraska after a 4 year term as a navy seal.

He’s 31 in July and just finished up his fifth year of eligibility and is trying to make it as a … long snapper? 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I believe he doesn't cost us a training camp roster spot.  

Possibly.  According to the CBA, MOSJ would fall under the 4th category of non-counters but those are limited to 2 players so it really depends on who else (if anyone) the team brings in.

Non-counters:

1) Players selected in the current year Canadian and Global Draft.

2) Players selected in a previous year’s Canadian Draft by the Member Club that have never attended a professional training camp in Canada or elsewhere.

3) Junior players not under contract.

4) Two additional undrafted National Players comprised of either: (A) A Player who was eligible for the current or the previous years’ C.F.L. Draft, or (B) A C.J.F.L. Player whose junior eligibility had terminated in the previous C.J.F.L. season.

5) A National quarterback who is playing and participating in training camp at the quarterback position.  

Edited by bigg jay

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Jackson is an interesting one. 30 year old who didn’t play high school football and walked on at Nebraska after a 4 year term as a navy seal.

He’s 31 in July and just finished up his fifth year of eligibility and is trying to make it as a … long snapper? 

With a us passport. Even by cfl standards that’s an odd duck. I feel like they saw some thing in him in person. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

re: Jr.... I just feel bad for both of them because of the potential drama it'll cause. I'm sure they've all talked about it ad nauseum and have a plan in place, but it's going to be tough with people beating the story to death. 

Isn’t going to be any drama on this team. sr will get a couple more questions from the media that he will just shrug grin and be vague about. I have no doubt that the room will take care of rookies intro to fifo no matter their status. Any one who doesn’t fi will fo. Doesn’t matter if it’s a guy like lawler, Castillo, a blue chip ncaa/nfl guy, a high first round pick or a camp invite. 
 Doubting the character of the room and the mafia at this point is ridiculous. 

Tbh I’m happy Osh Jr gets a chance to experience the culture of a premier CFL locker room.  Whatever the armchair scouts have to say, this front office doesn’t do charitable TC invites.  Osh Jr has to have  
-something- to offer other than his name.  He worked hard enough to get an invite and now he technically has an opportunity to work hard enough for a roster spot.  Whether or not that happens there will be legitimate reasons either way.

On 2023-05-07 at 10:13 AM, Geebrr said:

3 of the last 4 DMOPs were Bombers - so I’ll deal with it. 

what was the record last season for touchdowns allowed?  For quite a while it was one a game, something like that.

O'Shea Jr is as much of a CFL prospect as anyone picked Round 3 on in the 2023 draft aside from the obvious NFL guys teams took fliers on to grab their CFL rights just in case.

Let's just say he was a much more dominant player in the BCFL than many others who were drafted, even in the same position and as a straight up playmaker as a returner.  Now some of those guys have the things you can't teach, like being 6'5 230.  But doesn't make them a football player.