Divisional Semi-finals GDT

Geebrr

This team doesn’t talk about disrespect by other fandoms or media.  They don’t even say “Grey Cup” during the regular season… they talk love for their teammates, going 1-0 each week… and sometimes they’ll reference the “ultimate goal”.

Only -after- beating Hamilton for the cup last year did Biggie mention how satisfying it was to win despite the huge target on their backs.

17 minutes ago, johnzo said:

for me it's the tale of two t-shirts:

the swaggerville t-shirt was a flashy side hustle by a bunch of guys who were hyping themselves after an unreal half-season run of defensive awesomeness. but it wasn't sustainable, it was a flash in the pan.

(tbh I wanted one super bad but I didn't ever hear back from Jovon about international shipping)

the GOAT 24 t-shirt they rolled out last year was a tribute to an unsung hero on the team who is the best in history at his important, obscure job, and the big men on the team were all rocking them. QB out there hyping a special teamer... you love to see it.

(was GOAT 24 a player-only thing or did the Bomber Store sell it?)

BC Lions are the swaggerville T-shirt 

21 minutes ago, johnzo said:

the swaggerville t-shirt was a flashy side hustle by a bunch of guys who were hyping themselves after an unreal half-season run of defensive awesomeness. but it wasn't sustainable, it was a flash in the pan.

(tbh I wanted one super bad but I didn't ever hear back from Jovon about international shipping)

the GOAT 24 t-shirt they rolled out last year was a tribute to an unsung hero on the team who is the best in history at his important, obscure job, and the big men on the team were all rocking them. QB out there hyping a special teamer... you love to see it.

that shirt is soley for the players on the team....you cant get one

And I agree about the previous swaggerville..was fun and all...but yup was an aberration in the fact there was more me me me there and personal accolades...these guys could give a crap...unless it's a teammate of theirs getting something....That TD they got for Miller is a perfect example...that came from within the players ranks of getting him that....thats a team thru and thru

to get back to the game talk....

I agree with folks here that there is no way on paper that BC competes with us.  Their prize QB didn't play well against us when he was smashing the rest of the league.  Their OL is leaky at best and kid Canada is scrambling about 80% as well as he did in the early going and his throws seem to have about 5-10% less mustard on them.  And their RB with his legit unreal burst has a gimpy leg.  Butler is a guy who could really hurt us, given how we've been gashed by guys like him.

Sure give em credit, the Lions made some plays in the WSF and Rourke made some throws and had a tidy and productive game, and those BC receivers are freaking pitbulls when the catch is contested.  but they also got hella lucky in that game because the opposing coach was Dave "Shoot Myself In The" Dickenson.

so yeah in conclusion I am feeling super relaxed about the WF.  This means we are ******* doomed.  I'm sorry, my bad.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

I picked up a Swaggerville T-shirt when I was in Vancouver for the 2011 Grey Cup, but it was only because it had the "RH" initials on the back. I just couldn't say no when I saw that.  Had to buy it.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The only exception seems to be A. Harris in 2019 calling out the “haters” for the abuse he took after failing the drug test, and he carried that chip on his shoulder. Same as the chip he had when he didn’t re-sign him and he wanted to show us in the Toronto game how good he still was. But that seems to be more of a personal motivation tactic for him, and not a club-wide scenario, unlike 2000-2001 when Dave Ritchie lapped up the “us vs the world” mentality to motivate the team.

yes but that was only after the won the grey cup and he was named the most outstanding player and most outstanding Canadian... he didn't go around show boating until the job was done 

I loved Swaggerville - that summer was, for me, the most fun I've had as a Bomber fan my entire life. It was college years and that was just pure enjoyment. Jovon Johnson and Jonathon Hefney are two of my all time favourite players. And I was very upset when we let O'Dell get away.

This team is obviously expected to act/represent themselves in a different way. But, though they say all the right things and go about things professionally no matter what, you could see in the BC games that they (and especially Zach) come out a little bigger, stronger, faster. They know what's been said about Rourke and BC and they want to shut them down a little harder than other teams. 

56 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I loved Swaggerville - that summer was, for me, the most fun I've had as a Bomber fan my entire life. It was college years and that was just pure enjoyment. Jovon Johnson and Jonathon Hefney are two of my all time favourite players. And I was very upset when we let O'Dell get away.

This team is obviously expected to act/represent themselves in a different way. But, though they say all the right things and go about things professionally no matter what, you could see in the BC games that they (and especially Zach) come out a little bigger, stronger, faster. They know what's been said about Rourke and BC and they want to shut them down a little harder than other teams. 

Swaggerville was fun while it lasted. Too bad they crapped the bed in the Grey Cup, but c'est la vie.

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Swaggerville was fun while it lasted. Too bad they crapped the bed in the Grey Cup, but c'est la vie.

Fun little Swaggerville bit-

My daughter was dubbed "Little Miss Swaggerville" by the Winnipeg Sun. We went to the Bomber Store before Labour day, to pick up a shirt, my 4 year old in her Bomber cheerleader outfit. The players could see her coming up in line, and when she finally got there all the players were so happy to see her, joking that they were waiting for her. Odell Willis spent about 10 minutes joking with her, making the whole crowd laugh.

Yeah they crapped the bed with that bravado, but one of my best Bomber memories. Still have the photo framed in my basement printed from the Sun, along with they ball and shirt they all signed..

39 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Swaggerville didn't crap the bed in the Grey Cup, lapo forced them to try and win the game for the team, which didn't happen in the 2nd half of the season or the Grey Cup. 

Cfl you see it all the time. Defenses start faster than offenses and you can win games purely on D early, but as the year moves on you need the O to help out. In the Grey Cup it was the patented Lapo play not to lose offense a d guess what happened? Everyone laments Willis dropping an int that might have been a td (still would have been trailing)... you see the problem? We expected a defensive end to score touchdowns!

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Swaggerville didn't crap the bed in the Grey Cup, lapo forced them to try and win the game for the team, which didn't happen in the 2nd half of the season or the Grey Cup. 

Cfl you see it all the time. Defenses start faster than offenses and you can win games purely on D early, but as the year moves on you need the O to help out. In the Grey Cup it was the patented Lapo play not to lose offense a d guess what happened? Everyone laments Willis dropping an int that might have been a td (still would have been trailing)... you see the problem? We expected a defensive end to score touchdowns!

Swaggerville allowed 34 points in that game. It wasn't their best performance. I am not defending our offence either, but we surrendered less than 20 points avg. all season long and then let BC take it to us for a big early lead and that changes the dynamic of any game considerably. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Swaggerville allowed 34 points in that game. It wasn't their best performance. I am not defending our offence either, but we surrendered less than 20 points avg. all season long and then let BC take it to us for a big early lead and that changes the dynamic of any game considerably. 

Not to mention zero turnovers and one measly sack.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Not to mention zero turnovers and one measly sack.

Yea...there is no denying our O was crappy in the game. It was crappy all of that year. Our strength that season was Swaggerville, they were the reason we got there and they were the only way we were going to win that game. Blaming it on the O is just an opportunity to take a shot at Lapo in this instance. We had a team built primarily on defence and the defence let us down that game by being average.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...there is no denying our O was crappy in the game. It was crappy all of that year. Our strength that season was Swaggerville, they were the reason we got there and they were the only way we were going to win that game. Blaming it on the O is just an opportunity to take a shot at Lapo in this instance. We had a team built primarily on defence and the defence let us down that game by being average.

The o didn't have to be crappy. They played a passive game the while way through expecting the D to win. Believe me I still vividly remember how angry i was about it all game long. You do not win championships in this league by the defense scoring points for you without support from the offense, but that is what they tried to do in that game. 

Offense hangs onto the ball a little bit the defense doesn't have to do everything 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You're flat out wrong. While also being correct. You see, 2 things can be true at the same time. You are correct about the offense being garbage in that game, like it was for most of that season. BUT the defense absolutely crapped the bed and had basically no answer for the BC game plan. Swaggerville 100% shat the bed in that game.