Back 2 Back Champs @ VAJ-Cats-tic Voyage: The Mahfuggin GDT!

Noeller

Frustrating piece on the special teams coverage was no adjustment to the kicks.  Like the returner is killing our cover teams, how about squibbing the ball or popping it up 15-20 yards shorter?  Kinda just let it happen.

Also on the long FG's we might want more of a cover crew out there.  Not sure Jefferson is a good fit to cover missed FG's for instance, maybe throw Cooper or Cole out there.

This is football....not tiddly-winks....Alexander plays hard and the way it's supposed to be played...That was a clean hard tackle BA made on Rhymes ...ref seen it that way as well....What was it someone once said....'if you can't take the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen'....message to 'headed for the nursery' Rhymes' the whining baby

Edited by Stickem

I think that Dru did well enough to establish himself as a legitimate backup with a good possibility of becoming a starter. I am OK with the defensive backfield performance and they can only get better, but our run defence is well, offensive. The linebackers had to play up to the line (and not very well) which opened up the passing game. Had the Bombers consistently stopped the run, the whole defence would have been better. We are vulnerable to a strong running game, even with Jeffcoat back. Its not just the loss of Stove, but Kongbo is gone and The Snake seems to have lost a step or two,

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

Our run defense was also worse than usual.

I love BA but I don't think he should be trying to kill RBs the same way he kills receivers. They are a lot shifter. Cost us a lot of yards this game.

One more lament about letting Steven Richardson go. Our defense is generally built around playing linebackers in coverage as much as possible. Important to not let running backs get through the line or its basically a first down.

Our backers blitz a ton.  Thought our DL looked pretty stout, backers weren't ready to clean up.  Key to defending zone run is not run into the wash, force the line to be mobile opening up the gaps for the first wave to break their blocks and get a shot at the back.  Clements is brutal at this, just runs right into the pile, makes it easy to block up and gives tons of space to cut back/run counters.  Darby made a couple of poor reads too that opened up huge lanes, especially on the one big run.  Bighill filled the last gap on the play side to force the back across field but Darby followed Bighill into the gap instead of being patient and cleaning up.

29 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Haven't seen this anywhere else but apparently Rhymes tried to go after BA post-game according to 3DN.  

"Unfortunately, the press box conversation after the game was that Rhymes felt well enough to cross the hallway to the Bombers’ locker room and attempt a confrontation with the safety — the second time the Lions have been accused of that type of behaviour this year."

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/16/lions-show-that-its-dangerous-to-terry-and-eight-other-thoughts-on-b-c-beating-the-bombers/

Love that the 3down doofus insists that tackle was after the whistle.  Clearly was not.  Problem on that play was Rhymes quit immediately at the pop and then left himself prone for the finish.  Extremely lazy play by Rhymes and he paid for it.  Should be trying to fight himself.  All I'll say about trying to fight guys post-game is that you have 60 minutes to get that violence out on the field.  If you have the energy to try to go at someone post-game you're doing it wrong.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Just now, bustamente said:

If Wilson comes back I think he will help stop the run better then his replacement but can he come back this year 

I'd like to see a bunch of guys get reps at WIL/DE in the next game.  I'm not sure why Cole doesn't get a shot.  Speedy and comes violent.  A few snaps as a blitzer last night.  Clements is just awful, not sure why he wasn't cut after his first stint.  Cooper, whether DE or WIL, even Rutledge at WIL.

Also throw the German receiver on the roster instead of Machino.  Get Demski out of there so he can rest up for playoffs.

They should give certain players flags if they don't want to play through the entire play.  At least everyone else knows what to do then.

Like "oh I caught this ball, I'm done now"

Rhymes plants his foot and drops down forward there's no issue at all.  The biggest player safety issue continues to be players who aren't prepared to play a contact sport as the one receiving a tackle/hit.

2 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

But, Rhymes didn't give up on the play... he was still refusing to go down... the whistle wasn't blown, so BA forced him down... and then he whines like a little baby. What did he expect, to be cradled and coddled?

Rhymes stands straight up and doesn't brace himself at all.  He made an assumption at first contact that they play was done.

Not on the defender to make that assumption too.  Refs need to blow whistle, everyone needs to play through.  If you have the ball brace for contact or get injured.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Rhymes stands straight up and doesn't brace himself at all.  He made an assumption at first contact that they play was done.

Not on the defender to make that assumption too.  Refs need to blow whistle, everyone needs to play through.  If you have the ball brace for contact or get injured.

Odd, I saw it differently... I would love to see a clip of it.. 

It looked to me that DR braced standing up and was refusing to get pushed backwards... BA realized, he wasn't going to push him backwards, so elected to toss him sideways. Like I said, would love to see a clip of that play and look at it a little more objectively.

Regardless of all the above, the refs should have blown it down.

To me I don't think he gave up either, and Alexander isn't the kind of player to do dirty ****, he clearly thought there was still some fight in Rhymes. Half hearted maybe but again guy like that I think probably gave it a lame effort hoping for Alexander to give up so he could try and slip away. Similar to how qbs used to fake the slide.

4 hours ago, coach17 said:

I'm not so sure we should be all that critical of Legs this game. All of the attempts were long and he was accurate , but short on everyone. I think the air is/was a lot denser at BC Place so the length of kicks is a little less than the rest of the CFL stadiums. Might be wrong but all the kicks and punts looked a little shorter than normally used to seeing.

dead dome air is an actual thing...dont hold those kicks against him...was a meaningless game so why not....they were dead on, so mechanic and end result wise they were fine...his 30 something one earlier in game almost landed at back of endzone...so was 50+

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Maybe leggs just struggles in BC. Missed a few there in our earlier win. 

Must be something in the air there  

Did Darby play? If so guess he didn't do much. Wilson needs to return. 

he did...got some reps..worked off some rust then got rested...he looked just fine

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Haven't seen this anywhere else but apparently Rhymes tried to go after BA post-game according to 3DN.  

"Unfortunately, the press box conversation after the game was that Rhymes felt well enough to cross the hallway to the Bombers’ locker room and attempt a confrontation with the safety — the second time the Lions have been accused of that type of behaviour this year."

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/16/lions-show-that-its-dangerous-to-terry-and-eight-other-thoughts-on-b-c-beating-the-bombers/

grade A loser

10 hours ago, coach17 said:

I'm not so sure we should be all that critical of Legs this game. All of the attempts were long and he was accurate , but short on everyone. I think the air is/was a lot denser at BC Place so the length of kicks is a little less than the rest of the CFL stadiums. Might be wrong but all the kicks and punts looked a little shorter than normally used to seeing.

How soon we forget past misery, 2016 WSF against Jon Jennings and the Lions, O'Shea sends Medlock out to kick a 61 yd, FG with 36 seconds left in the game, which falls short.  Torrential blame falls mostly on O'Shea for not gambling on 3rd and  4, secondly on dead BC Place air, Medlock just shrugs and walks away.

5 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Rhymes is a whiny cry baby 

He doesn’t want BA to be great 

BA is in his head now. If they make the West Final Rhymes is gonna be hearing footsteps on the frozen tundra when he's reaching for a pass......

Advantage Bombers.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

13 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

How soon we forget past misery, 2016 WSF against Jon Jennings and the Lions, O'Shea sends Medlock out to kick a 61 yd, FG with 36 seconds left in the game, which falls short.  Torrential blame falls mostly on O'Shea for not gambling on 3rd and  4, secondly on dead BC Place air, Medlock just shrugs and walks away.

I was actually thinking about this the other day.  That was a tough pill to swallow.  But 3 years later, we hoist the Grey Cup.