Back 2 Back Champs @ VAJ-Cats-tic Voyage: The Mahfuggin GDT!

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

When is the Bombers coaches show on job? Tuesday? Would like to hear MOS opinion of the illegal kickoff in the 4th. Does he think it was an illegal kick? He wouldn’t say in public the refs made a mistake, Id guess. Was it suppose to be a short kick, a squib, or did the camera work miss it heading out of bounds? Have the Mafia asked the league for further clarity on the call? 
can’t listen to it on Tuesday, I’ll be busy in some mom’s basement - for real, so if it’s mentioned, a comment here would be cool! 

You can send @DTonOB a message and he will ask MOS about it. 

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

When is the Bombers coaches show on cjob? Tuesday? Would like to hear MOS opinion of the illegal kickoff in the 4th. Does he think it was an illegal kick? He wouldn’t say in public the refs made a mistake, Id guess. Was it suppose to be a short kick, a squib, or did the camera work miss it heading out of bounds? Have the Mafia asked the league for further clarity on the call? 
can’t listen to it on Tuesday, I’ll be busy in some mom’s basement - for real, so if it’s mentioned, a comment here would be cool! 

It absolutely is an illegal kick. Here are some video examples from the NFL (yes the rule is the same there and in amateur football). 

Now if you want to know WHY that penalty exists, I have not found a clear answer as to the intent of the rule, and most people either think this is a genius play or the stupidest rule on the hook. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It absolutely is an illegal kick. Here are some video examples from the NFL (yes the rule is the same there and in amateur football). 

Now if you want to know WHY that penalty exists, I have not found a clear answer as to the intent of the rule, and most people either think this is a genius play or the stupidest rule on the hook. 

Thanks. I want to know O’Shea’s view. I sent the query to @DTonOB for tuesdays show. I’d like to have the purpose of the rule clarified, at some point. Your research so far has been helpful and is appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Thanks. I want to know O’Shea’s view. I sent the query to @DTonOB for tuesdays show. I’d like to have the purpose of the rule clarified, at some point. Your research so far has been helpful and is appreciated.

No problem. Did not mean to detract from your question. I too would love to understand the “intent” behind this rule. Not sure O’Shea will know (although has he been a part of the rules committee at some point?) but it would be nice if the league office had a way to “ask the ref” on the website to clear up curious calls. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

No problem. Did not mean to detract from your question. I too would love to understand the “intent” behind this rule. Not sure O’Shea will know (although has he been a part of the rules committee at some point?) but it would be nice if the league office had a way to “ask the ref” on the website to clear up curious calls. 

Well, an email asking is always possible. If it’s found to be a rule that detracts for the game, at least OShea could maybe influence a rewrite if he wants to.

apparently Osh applauded the play....said its a little known and used rule but its there and gave them props for taking advantage of it...but also said he doesn't like the rule....also apparently we had an opportunity to do it as well in that game but I dont recall seeing when it was tho havnt watched the game back yet.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

apparently Osh applauded the play....said its a little known and used rule but its there and gave them props for taking advantage of it...but also said he doesn't like the rule....also apparently we had an opportunity to do it as well in that game but I dont recall seeing when it was tho havnt watched the game back yet.

I know the play, because I remember thinking Grant may wait and let the ball roll out of bounds....but he ultimately didn't. Think it was closer to the end of the game.

Seems to me that illegal kick penalty in that circumstance makes no sense as the ball remains in the field of play, obviously as discussed here and consensus achieved.
TBH, the famous fake injury just before the snap penalty makes more sense than the illegal kick. The continuing fake injury bull **** was stopped before it got out of hand during the season, without going to the rules committee. 

Edited by Rod Black

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Leggs makes 1 kick and dru tosses just 1 pick 6. We win. 

If I'm Oshea I'm not happy with the loss 

That is exactly my point. When a coach rests his starters, he's basically trading the chance to win over protecting his players. Considering everything, O'Shea should be satisfied (maybe not happy) with the way the team played on Saturday. I don't necessarily buy the line that losing sucks because he didn't dress his best team. He knew the Bombers would be at a big disadvantage by not playing all his starters. 

BTW, I agree guys like Collaros should be protected & players like Neufeld, Yoshi & Bryant needed rest. I just was surprised with Coach's comments, that's all. 

59 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That is exactly my point. When a coach rests his starters, he's basically trading the chance to win over protecting his players. Considering everything, O'Shea should be satisfied (maybe not happy) with the way the team played on Saturday. I don't necessarily buy the line that losing sucks because he didn't dress his best team. He knew the Bombers would be at a big disadvantage by not playing all his starters. 

BTW, I agree guys like Collaros should be protected & players like Neufeld, Yoshi & Bryant needed rest. I just was surprised with Coach's comments, that's all. 

Legs is not a back up but a starter. He missed three fg’s and that’s 9 points - the win. Legs also had to make tackles. More on that later. Long field goals because of shitty field position. Don’t see how that makes osheas mindset hard to figure. 
It’s not like Collaros has not thrown interceptions either. In fact Brown threw for more yards than Collaros average for the year, 303 to 257 avg., more td’s on avg., 3 to 2.25, but, profoundly 2 ints to 1 avg. so Brown had a better game statistically than Collaros average, barring his inexperience resulting in two pic 6 td’s.
Therefore OShea can be satisfied with the way the subs played with the exception of inexperience at qb on two very poor plays. Losing sucks because of real bad special teams. Allowing 450 yards on returns and the field position is a record and should be unacceptable. Count the subs on ST. The special teams squad and ST coach spent too much time on Robson Strasse the night before. That is what sucked, not the subs.  
Hey Al, how was dinner? 

Edited by Rod Black

8 hours ago, JCon said:

You can send @DTonOB a message and he will ask MOS about it. 

I asked him about it in the post-game show, and we'll definitely talk about it on Tuesday.

O'Shea said that it's known to be a legal play in the CFL that results in an Illegal Kickoff. He said he doesn't like the rule, but he praised Terry Williams for making a smart play.

I guess the rules treat Williams' play like catching a ball with a foot on the sidelines. It's not illegal to do so, it's just out of bounds, incomplete. I'd expected the rules would treat it like going out of bounds unforced and reaching back into the field of play--Illegal Participation. Upon further review of the rules, the one I was looking at says "loose ball" for IP. But a kickoff is a "kicked ball"

6 hours ago, DTonOB said:

I asked him about it in the post-game show, and we'll definitely talk about it on Tuesday.

O'Shea said that it's known to be a legal play in the CFL that results in an Illegal Kickoff. He said he doesn't like the rule, but he praised Terry Williams for making a smart play.

I guess the rules treat Williams' play like catching a ball with a foot on the sidelines. It's not illegal to do so, it's just out of bounds, incomplete. I'd expected the rules would treat it like going out of bounds unforced and reaching back into the field of play--Illegal Participation. Upon further review of the rules, the one I was looking at says "loose ball" for IP. But a kickoff is a "kicked ball"

Thanks very much. The result was about a thirty yard penalty, for a perfectly playable ball. One other thing, was the kick suppose to be a squib that didnt work? Wish I could listen real time to the Coaches show but will have to review when it’s posted on the OB website. Mucho grrracias for your time and MBB participation! 

Edited by Rod Black

On 2022-10-17 at 9:12 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just was surprised with Coach's comments, that's all. 

I'm surprised that you are surprised by this... Coach O'Shea is upset when we lose pre-season games... nevermind regular season

On 2022-10-17 at 4:53 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

So is Green Bay the only team that knows this rule??