Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

40 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He sounds like he went through the Mike O’Shea school of pro football. 

yeah, volunteering for special teams, 100 % O'Shea style. also the humility.

North Bay to New York. 😀

coach saleh:

"He’s a warrior and a fighter, it’s been cool to watch him play,” Saleh said."

Edited by Mark F

35 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

In my opinion if I’m the Jets I make him the number two. You’re not a super bowl contender this year, you’re not even a playoff team. Use a guy like Streveler with the upside as your backup QB. You know what you’re going to get from a 35 year old Flacco, not much, keep Flacco as the third because he is by all accounts a good locker room guy and can teach Wilson and Streveler something but once Wilson is healthy I would demote Flacco to third string and really see what you got in Streveler if the opportunity presents itself. 

Strevey doing his thing AND Alford is smart enough not to get in front of that train   lol

IF Streveler doesn't stick in the Big Apple then I bet he's headed north....You can bet the Leo's would be more than interested BUT would he entertain going there....He's going to want some big coin to return to the CFL and do the Lions have it????...Conjecture at best especially when you hear about the praise being thrown Chris's way....I think he's entitled to an nfl pension with a few more games under his belt....Hope that part works out for him

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Nonsense. Streveler showed as a rookie he could pass, it was Lapo turned him into a gimmick.

This is 100% correct... in year one Strev was running a normal offense and had a really quick release and a great mid-range to deep ball that was accurate.    

Year 2 is when the stupid gimmick plays came out thanks to LaPo. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Why the **** does anyone think that Larry Arugula, being cut again and again and again, is gonna be the answer rather than our 90% CFL (and all time CIS record holder) kicker........?? 

Simple answer? Fans (short for “fanatic”) are ruled by emotion more than common sense and lack perspective. The same people begging for Lirim were likely his most vocal critics when he was here the first go-round  

The back-up QB and the free agent kicker the team haven’t signed are always the most popular guys out there for many fans at the first sign of things going wrong. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Simple answer? Fans (short for “fanatic” are ruled by emotion more than common sense and lack perspective. The same people begging for Lirim were likely his most vocal critics when he was here the first go-round  

The back-up QB and the free agent kicker the team haven’t signed are always the most popular guys out there for many fans at the first sign of things going wrong. 

Again, sure... but there's track records involved in both your guys thoughts. I don't think anybody is shouting at the rafters to cut legs. There is a reason we brought in another guy last year. 

I personally don't think that's the case this season. Mostly because "larry" will possibly find another NFL club and would command more money then we could shell out. To Liegghios   credit aside from the Montreal mishaps, and "mishap" being a gentle way of putting it. He's done a good job in all three phases of his game

I think the better question is why wouldn't we want the guy who's hung around the NFL, kicked for the cowboys, and had success at the CFL game too.

Has legs kicked a 50 + yarder once this year? How about over the course of his career? I'm not being condescending I'm actually curious. 

I suppose it's possible I'm being a "fanatic" here but I'd prefer a sample size of more than 10 games to fully trust our kicker. 

I'll reiterate myself here. In a perfect world, one which the price was right and he wanted to come to winnipeg. Why wouldn't we want him? Since when did competition at any position become a problem 

Edited by CodyT

Your last sentence sort of answers your own question of “why wouldn’t we?” Cost and wanting to be here. 

And speaking of small sample sizes, I’d rather not chuck a young guy based on less than 10 games of kicking last year. The last time we did that too quickly, we scrambled to get him back (Castillo). The time before that, he went on to be a star elsewhere and now we are pining for him again (Hajrullahu). Kickers miss kicks, doesn’t mean we run them out of town at the drop of a hat. Liegghio will learn, get better, and has made more game-winning pressure kicks (Calgary last year, Ottawa this year) than he has missed to cost us (Montreal this year).