2018 CFL Draft

Rich

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

I really think Walters thought Shepley and Hunter would fall...

Possibly, but I think the opposite is more likely - that Walters was pretty certain the guys he really wanted wouldn't be available by pick #7.  That he had a small group of guys in his "elite" tier, Chapman and a couple of the Olinemen perhaps, and a much bigger group of guys in his "pretty good" tier.

And since he had very little chance of landing an elite player in this draft, why not move down 5 spots, get a pretty good player much like we would have gotten anyways, and get a pick in next year's draft that very realistically could be a top 3 pick?  That way we actually can turn our pick this year into landing an elite player.

It's just a theory, one that makes sense to me.

And after all, otherwise next year we wouldn't get to pick until 9th.

That said, this Bomber draft class fell well outside of what we would consider to be the norm.

Like what they did if your ratio is being built heavily around WR and OL then that’s how you draft. Simonise highest ceiling in the draft think he really benefits from being in that WR room with Bowman Dressler and Adams. They won’t let him get bad habits.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Like what they did if your ratio is being built heavily around WR and OL then that’s how you draft. Simonise highest ceiling in the draft think he really benefits from being in that WR room with Bowman Dressler and Adams. They won’t let him get bad habits.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that, but we can hope.

Young players like Simonise are very impressionable ...When you make the 'right' impression on a player and it sticks, we could really have something...I hope it works out for Simonise and us and we end up with a star receiver that will have the other gm's in this league wondering...'what the hell were we thinking'

I wish someone would ask him how to pronounce his name. Looks like "See-mo- niece" to me. 

not   like "Simoniz USA, Inc. is an American manufacturer of automobile and janitorial cleaning products."

or something.

Edited by Mark F

If in fact there were better offensive lineman available at the number 7 spot than Walters predicted the nice thing about this is they didn’t give away their pick.  It should result in a top 3 pick next year from BC.   Secondly without this trade there’s a good chance Simonise would not have been on he board when our 2nd round pick came around. 

The trade to me really hinges on how good spooner and the developmental guy from last year are.  If they are legit future starters than it was a good trade because we are going to have trouble protecting all these guys. Especially if Gray joins the team later this year.

Definitely hate what Walters did this draft, or to put it better, what he didn't do.

Every other team tries to significantly improve every off season. Can't see how this years draft efforts are going to even remotely help to do that. I think that Simonize is going to be Addison Richards 2.0 and that is the highlight. It just gets ugly after that. Still think Bombers Cdn depth is going to be tested this year - and found to be way too thin.

The team may do well, but I think there is also a good chance they will significantly regress, and when you couple that with every other team solidly improving this off season, it may not be BCs draft pick that give them the top pick next year.

8 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Definitely hate what Walters did this draft, or to put it better, what he didn't do.

Every other team tries to significantly improve every off season. Can't see how this years draft efforts are going to even remotely help to do that. I think that Simonize is going to be Addison Richards 2.0 and that is the highlight. It just gets ugly after that. Still think Bombers Cdn depth is going to be tested this year - and found to be way too thin.

The team may do well, but I think there is also a good chance they will significantly regress, and when you couple that with every other team solidly improving this off season, it may not be BCs draft pick that give them the top pick next year.

Calgary isn’t getting better.  They are trying to fill massive holes on their offensive line to try and make up for busts in previous years.  After the third round you rarely get anything of long term substance. So the bombers basically solidified their agenda of starting two Canadian receivers by drafting 2 of the top 3 or 4 receivers in the draft including Simonise who has the potential to be one of the top Canadian receivers in the league if he and the bombers are able to get him back to where he was when he played for the Dinos.  There was nothing that would have been available at pick 7 that was going to make this team better this season.  It would have been another backup offensive lineman who’s gonna take a couple years to develop.

18 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Thank you for your opinion.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thank you for your opinion.

Why do you go after people here so much? Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if you disagree. If you don't like what someone said, you just get nasty. You definitely play favourites here it's so obvious. To you, it's all about talking down to, belittling & snide remarks to members you don't like. You don't even attempt to hide your disdain for certain people here anymore. Why don't you just perma ban everyone on your **** List & be done with it? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do you go after people here so much? Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if you disagree. If you don't like what someone said, you don't have to be so nasty. To you, it's all about belittling & snide remarks. Why don't you just perma ban everyone on your **** List & be done with it? 

Out of the two posts Mike’s was less nasty.

Great job in the draft, addressed our current needs and landed a couple of real studs. 

Just need the US recruits to come through and we have the makings of another great season of Bomber football. Except for Rich Hall, should have tied the can to him.