2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

To illustrate your point It is likely the root reason why outstanding football players like Willie Jefferson left town. Marino is a complete tool, he was disliked in his own locker room last year, and they made him a healthy scratch in the playoffs because they didn't trust him not to cost them the game in penalty yardage.....but hey Micah had enough of the clown show so they were desperate for a NT....let's roll with Marino again. SMH. This is on coaching, management, and scouting. Hanging on to an average DT despite the fact he has seriously tarnished your brand is just a failure on so many levels of football operations. 

I guarantee you Willie left because he realized how terrible it was to live in Saskatchewan. 

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

To illustrate your point It is likely the root reason why outstanding football players like Willie Jefferson left town. Marino is a complete tool, he was disliked in his own locker room last year, and they made him a healthy scratch in the playoffs because they didn't trust him not to cost them the game in penalty yardage.....but hey Micah had enough of the clown show so they were desperate for a NT....let's roll with Marino again. SMH. This is on coaching, management, and scouting. Hanging on to an average DT despite the fact he has seriously tarnished your brand is just a failure on so many levels of football operations. 

Geez - the more you read about this - the deeper it slides into absolute stupidity.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If you’re a free agent and you’re getting pitched by Craig Dickenson and Mike O’Shea the choice should be pretty easy if you’re a football player.

Pretty easy pitch to make for Mike O'Shea too. 

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ended every play for how many consecutive diving into some Redblacks legs...non-intentional.

Really don't get why an organization or a coach will burn all their credibility for an average American DT.

It's actually an interesting conversation.

Obviously leaders and Head Coaches in this instance feel the need to be the shield and protect their players. We've all praised MOS for it and mocked others when they throw players under the bus.

But at what point do you say, this person made poor choices and need to accept the consequences? (Actually, typing this out, that's all Craig needed to say.....what an idiot).

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It's actually an interesting conversation.

Obviously leaders and Head Coaches in this instance feel the need to be the shield and protect their players. We've all praised MOS for it and mocked others when they throw players under the bus.

But at what point do you say, this person made poor choices and need to accept the consequences? (Actually, typing this out, that's all Craig needed to say.....what an idiot).

Precisely. This isn't your average mistake either though. Coaches will be meat shields for their players 90% of the time when they play poorly or make a costly gaffe in the course of a game, but standing behind this is just incredibly stupid. MOS would not stand behind this....I guarantee that. He would be explaining that Marino had to be released because he was costing his team and organization. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I guarantee you Willie left because we made him the highest paid DE in the league.

Sure. But it isn't like the Riders - or any other team - could've made a similar offer back then.

There are factors besides money that players consider, IMO. And I think that applies to Jefferson based on his character and statements he's made.

Edited by blue_gold_84

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Precisely. This isn't your average mistake either though. Coaches will be meat shields for their players 90% of the time when they play poorly or make a costly gaffe in the course of a game, but standing behind this is just incredibly stupid. MOS would not stand behind this....I guarantee that. He would be explaining that Marino had to be released because he was costing his team and organization. 

In practice, Marino would never make it past our organizations vetting process. 

I doubt MOS would ever hear of him and our leadership group would bounce him out quick if he did.

Never would have hit the field.

22 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He raises a point I think about all the time.

How can PA's (of every sport) defend players who are out there hurting members? They should be the one's wanting suspensions to keep their members safe.

The sad and simple answer is that they are there to protect the players’ financial interests, more so than player safety. Masoli still gets paid while on the injured list, Marino won’t because the suspension forfeits his salary. And no, the PA will not consider the murky question of “what about Masoli’s future salaries he loses if his injury knocks him out of football and he cannot get another contract when this one is done?”  They are about the here and now. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I guarantee you Willie left because we made him the highest paid DE in the league.

The fly in the ointment of your perspective is two things:

1. We did not make him the highest paid DE in the league

2. He turned down a higher monetary offer from Toronto to come here instead.

We didn't make him the highest paid DE in the league until after he put up his MDOP season with us.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Marino pays his dues and gets representation. Everyone deserves a defence. 

Yep...union members are union members...even the ones that are bad apples.

39 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He raises a point I think about all the time.

How can PA's (of every sport) defend players who are out there hurting members? They should be the one's wanting suspensions to keep their members safe.

No different than any union defending employees who abuse the system and create work. grief, and stress in the workplace for other union members. Anyone who has worked in a union environment and been stuck working with one of these types knows that unions are great....except in circumstances like this. 

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

Because they’re legally obligated to, that’s really about it I would think.

For sure. I used to meet with union reps all the time, as one of my businesses was unionized,  and how vehemently they opt to defend a member can vary greatly. They are legally obligated to represent their member so they show up, but if your case as an employer is a slam dunk...it's a slam dunk. If someone is a clear "problem child" that they have been called to 10 disciplinary meeting about, they largely just take notes and that's about it.

Edited by GCn20

The CFLPA could make changes to their system that would make it harder on repeat offenders.  An NFL player tried to sue the NFLPA (and NFL) about 10 years ago for not protecting him as a union member.  He (and a few others) were singled out and not protected by the PA because they were deemed repeat offenders.  The player (Cedric Benson) lost that case so it can happen.

Here's an article that came out (prior to the lawsuit being tossed out) that explained how it could happen up here (based on Ontario law):

https://lawofwork.ca/nfl-player-files-duty-of-fair-representation-complaint-against-union/

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Where are people getting this from? Not that I doubt it, but I can't find anyone from the criders talking about it

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

Marino pays his dues and gets representation. Everyone deserves a defence. 

They are there to represent not defend. They are negotiators really and there to make sure everything is on the up and up with the CBA, and that it has been fairly applied. In Marino's case I could only see them filing an appeal on the racist comment suspension, or at the very least demand to see the proof. There is nothing in length, or severity, of his suspensions that lead me to believe he was treated unfairly or without precedent. That is usually the crux of a union's concern. They care that the CBA was followed, it appears it was, and they care that his punishment is not excessive given the infraction....hard to make that argument.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Where are people getting this from? Not that I doubt it, but I can't find anyone from the criders talking about it

It was widely reported last year when the playoff rosters were revealed that it was his discipline issues that kept him out. I believe even Dickenson had said as much. As for his presence in the locker room, Dickenson just stated that this week.

Edited by GCn20

From a union perspective, while they may not agree or like Marino, they will defend and fight for him if they are worried about a precedent being set that may impact other members down the road.

Personally, I'd rather see Marino thrown out of the league.  Too many clips and evidence that he plays with intent to injure.   But the union's job is to protect their members (current and future)

Willie came here for less than he could have got elsewhere the first time...and has stayed for what he thinks is fair...and again less than what he could have got elsewhere..

And back to the idiocy of Dicklesson and the Riders...he's quoted as saying good gracious or Good golly..something like that....about it unfair to judge this turd based on his worst moment or something along those lines...well his worst moments continue and are getting worse as they go...so who's to say this is his worst moment to date?? Highly unlikely and any defense of him...and keeping him employed is sad and pathetic...I guess when u have poor depth and obviously worse scouting u hamstring yourself with keeping your garbage around