2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

It's a problem right now. It will continue to be a problem until it is addressed. Will Walters fix it? We'll see. It's not like he's always fixed things in the past.

Right now it's actually not a problem. Both kickers lead the league in field goal percentage and lead the league in punting average.

It won't be a problem until the kickers come out and show that it's a problem. All it is right NOW is fodder for forums.

On 2022-03-13 at 5:49 PM, Noeller said:

I'm not pointing fingers, but man it has gotta be exhausting being sour/angry/negative all the time about seemingly everything.

I have faith in this regime because they haven't steered me wrong yet. 

I have faith in a raw kid who kicked 92% in CIS. 

I have faith in an American guy whose only real issue (apparently) was the angles of a much larger field. 

We have a whole camp to get it figured out and if they don't have someone they like, there are dozens and dozens of kickers out there that can be brought in. 

When Mourtada lined up for a FG were you confident that he'd put it through or were you nervously on the edge of your seat going, "C'mon... C'mon..."?? If anyone said No then they're lying. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When Mourtada lined up for a FG were you confident that he'd put it through or were you nervously on the edge of your seat going, "C'mon... C'mon..."?? If anyone said No then they're lying. 

I will agree,  kicking isn't exactly a position that you want a guy to learn on the job.  

55 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I will agree,  kicking isn't exactly a position that you want a guy to learn on the job.  

Yes, a person could say its learning on the job, but again, many will say its a matter of making an adjustment or fine tuning mechanics to achieve the results required... Makes me wonder how the golf swing is with those that are voicing concerns in here...

I found this interesting. 

We needed the ability for the CFL to access gambling revenue. It's a lifeline to the CFL. 

But, how closely do we want the league tied to the organizations behind it? I think finding that balance is going to be challenging for the integrity of the game. 

I would imagine professional (or high-stakes) gamblers will be scrutinizing the relationships between the leagues and gambling orgs. 

The CFL’s partnership with data and technology firm Genius Sports has been billed as a major win for the league, but it could spell the end of Canadian football as we know it.

In the midst of commissioner Randy Ambrosie’s cross-country road trip, Sportsnet reporter Arash Madani told The Rod Pedersen Show that the CFL’s new partner has been vocal about their support for a conversion to four downs.

“I’m told that Genius Sports has really made a push to the league office about four downs and that Randy Ambrosie has let the teams know and let some of the football people know that there is a real push towards four downs from their now partner over at Genius Sports,” Madani said Wednesday.

“Keep that in mind as this kind of unfolds, that some of the reporting that came out of Grey Cup week, it’s getting a real push now from one of the key stakeholders on the business side of that entire operation.”

The same week that the CFL unveiled it’s groundbreaking relationship with Genius, reports emerged that the league would be undergoing a review of its entire operation, including weighing the merits of three versus four downs. The idea was met with swift backlash from fans and commentators, but appears to have powerful supporters.

Genius Sports owns a minority stake in the league’s new commercial arm, CFL Ventures, allowing it to profit off of the revenue it is intended to help create. The high profile firm is set to provide everything from tailored marketing research to revolutionary new broadcast technologies, as well as spear-heading the CFL’s approach to legal sports gambling, but may see the operation as more viable with a more familiar four-down model.

On Tuesday, Ambrosie was asked about the possibility of an Americanized CFL in an appearance in Calgary and avoided answering the question directly.

“I’m constantly struck by the quotes that I read that are attributed to the league. Look, I think there are three fundamental priorities right now and they are this,” he rambled.

“One is to use this bargaining to build a long-term mutually beneficial partnership with the players. That is our number one priority. The second priority is to use this product review process that’s underway to learn and educate ourselves and to work with the ambition of building the fast, funnest, most dynamic game of football on the planet. That’s it. Funnest, fastest, most dynamic game of football on the planet is our ambition. And the third is to grow our fan base.”

“Those are the three priorities. That’s what’s driving our agenda, that’s what’s driving our efforts and those are gonna be the things that we’re gonna be focused on. You have to, for your sanity and for the sake of relationships with all of our key stakeholders, stay away from those specific solutions because they drag you down a rabbit hole and they never lead to anything good.”

The CFL rules committee is set to meet in April, but a monumental shift in how the game is played likely won’t be possible on such a short timeline. Fans should expect this controversy to percolate within league circles for quite some time before a decision is made either way.

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The CFL’s partnership with data and technology firm Genius Sports has been billed as a major win for the league, but it could spell the end of Canadian football as we know it.

In the midst of commissioner Randy Ambrosie’s cross-country road trip, Sportsnet reporter Arash Madani told The Rod Pedersen Show that the CFL’s new partner has been vocal about their support for a conversion to four downs.

“I’m told that Genius Sports has really made a push to the league office about four downs and that Randy Ambrosie has let the teams know and let some of the football people know that there is a real push towards four downs from their now partner over at Genius Sports,” Madani said Wednesday.

“Keep that in mind as this kind of unfolds, that some of the reporting that came out of Grey Cup week, it’s getting a real push now from one of the key stakeholders on the business side of that entire operation.”

The same week that the CFL unveiled it’s groundbreaking relationship with Genius, reports emerged that the league would be undergoing a review of its entire operation, including weighing the merits of three versus four downs. The idea was met with swift backlash from fans and commentators, but appears to have powerful supporters.

Genius Sports owns a minority stake in the league’s new commercial arm, CFL Ventures, allowing it to profit off of the revenue it is intended to help create. The high profile firm is set to provide everything from tailored marketing research to revolutionary new broadcast technologies, as well as spear-heading the CFL’s approach to legal sports gambling, but may see the operation as more viable with a more familiar four-down model.

On Tuesday, Ambrosie was asked about the possibility of an Americanized CFL in an appearance in Calgary and avoided answering the question directly.

“I’m constantly struck by the quotes that I read that are attributed to the league. Look, I think there are three fundamental priorities right now and they are this,” he rambled.

“One is to use this bargaining to build a long-term mutually beneficial partnership with the players. That is our number one priority. The second priority is to use this product review process that’s underway to learn and educate ourselves and to work with the ambition of building the fast, funnest, most dynamic game of football on the planet. That’s it. Funnest, fastest, most dynamic game of football on the planet is our ambition. And the third is to grow our fan base.”

“Those are the three priorities. That’s what’s driving our agenda, that’s what’s driving our efforts and those are gonna be the things that we’re gonna be focused on. You have to, for your sanity and for the sake of relationships with all of our key stakeholders, stay away from those specific solutions because they drag you down a rabbit hole and they never lead to anything good.”

The CFL rules committee is set to meet in April, but a monumental shift in how the game is played likely won’t be possible on such a short timeline. Fans should expect this controversy to percolate within league circles for quite some time before a decision is made either way.

Time for social media backlash from cfl fans. If they aren't stopped now we won't have a cfl in 5 years. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I’m a pretty open guy when it comes to change, but this would absolutely undoubtedly kill what the CFL represents and I would NOT be in favour of supporting it. In fact if that happened I would no longer support the CFL. The league may have its issues but having three downs is not one of them. 

58 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

I'm never watching a down of the CFL again if this happens.

I can't see them being dumb enough to actually do this.

I'm seeing a coming together of all leagues in North America (USFL, XFL & CFL) into one developmental league for the NFL. Perhaps like the AHL, one developmental team for every NFL team.  For example, the BC Lions for the Seahawks, the Eskimos for the Rams, the Stamps for the 49ers, the Bombers for the Vikings. A massive infusion of money from gambling, tv & the NFL. The first step on making it 4 down football only & taking it global.