2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

On 2022-03-18 at 2:51 PM, TBURGESS said:

I don't mind moving the hash marks in, but I don't expect that will result in anything more than higher FG %.

Every offensive player seems to like it. Claim it'll open up the boundary side of the field which is underutilized. Booch? What do you think?

7 hours ago, Stickem said:

Ambrosie says '''and if they're quoting him correctly, that there's a real push on towards 4 down football'....Genius says it's not them....then where the hell does this 'so called' push come from....I don't think we're getting the whole picture here.....Talk about mixed messaging.....it makes us look so rinky dink, especially over what could be a game changing topic....Confusing the fans ain't a good road to go down

Umm 

TSN and the ppl who own the Argos likely 

I'd say 99.9 percent it's coming from out East 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Every offensive player seems to like it. Claim it'll open up the boundary side of the field which is underutilized. Booch? What do you think?

I can see why hufnagel would be in favour. His qb has a busted shoulder can't make the throws anymore. Same with Craig Dickenson. Got a noodle arm qb. Can't make those throws at the best of times.

Seriously though I can see the logic in it. Puts more of the field in play at all times. Might make the short side more dangerous though.

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

Umm 

TSN and the ppl who own the Argos likely 

I'd say 99.9 percent it's coming from out East 

Maybe bc too

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

100 percent would open up the offense. The ability to use more balance in target areas would also force the d to use less bend but don't break. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe bc too

I'd think it would be too soon for the new owner to be pushing something like that.  He, by his own admission, has been pretty quiet so far as he learns the ropes.  

He has also said he feels the league's biggest issues are off the field.

"The game is excellent. The product — there’s nothing wrong with it. The league does not need surgery, it needs attention, and it needs fan base and needs passion,” said Doman. “This is deeper than a business turnaround. This is engaging people. This is getting advertising and marketing back to a high level."

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I like the hash marks idea, the rest is garbage. CFL needs to focus on marketing to younger fans, really pushing fantasy and the gambling pieces.

Hash marks 30 second play clock whistled in right away and no more singles on fgs. Maybe on 40 plus yarders. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Hash marks 30 second play clock whistled in right away and no more singles on fgs. Maybe on 40 plus yarders. 

Good points. With the time it takes them to whistle the play in, they are often past 40 seconds, by the time the ball is snapped. Singles I think should be limited to kickoffs and punts. 

On 2022-03-18 at 11:53 AM, JCon said:

I see the problem as this... Everytime they look at "growing the game" the only voices they ask are the ones that are just NFL fans. Of course they'll tell you they want 4 downs, it's what they watch. 

They never ask the CFL fans how to grow the game. They don't advertise. They're partners just want to sell off the league. 

Then they get mouthpieces like Farhan and Naylor, who have a vested interest in pushing the league south, out there waving their hands. 

The CFL, as a league, seem uderrly bewildered on how to grow the CFL. It's embarrassing. 

Broken record time.

Partner with EA (or whoever) and develop a CFL video game. No market for it? Maybe NFL fans will buy it, I dunno. Take a risk.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe bc too

100 percent would open up the offense. The ability to use more balance in target areas would also force the d to use less bend but don't break. 

I'm good for anything that will utilize a very underutilized Drew Wolitarski. He's a great receiver but is wasting away. 

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I'd think it would be too soon for the new owner to be pushing something like that.  He, by his own admission, has been pretty quiet so far as he learns the ropes.  

He has also said he feels the league's biggest issues are off the field.

"The game is excellent. The product — there’s nothing wrong with it. The league does not need surgery, it needs attention, and it needs fan base and needs passion,” said Doman. “This is deeper than a business turnaround. This is engaging people. This is getting advertising and marketing back to a high level."

Right now, the guy who would be a great Commissioner would be Mark Cohon. He understands the CFL, the fans & how to market our game. Dark day when he left. 

59 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Broken record time.

Partner with EA (or whoever) and develop a CFL video game. No market for it? Maybe NFL fans will buy it, I dunno. Take a risk.

All they seem to know how to do is to drive salaries & costs up by greedy GMs. Some random coach who knows a few NFL contacts but has no idea how to run a business are put in charge  as GM & then go nuts spending on free agents. No team seems to have a person in place who is above the GM in charge of the day to day business operations of a CFL team. Every team has a President but the day to day operations are left to goofs like Chris Jones & Pinball Clemons. They need to be reigned in by a guy who tells them "NO!!!"

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I can see why hufnagel would be in favour. His qb has a busted shoulder can't make the throws anymore. Same with Craig Dickenson. Got a noodle arm qb. Can't make those throws at the best of times.

Seriously though I can see the logic in it. Puts more of the field in play at all times. Might make the short side more dangerous though.

I believe that this will be Bo Levi Mitchell's last year in Calgary as the starter with Jake Maier coming up behind him. The biggest mistake Dickenson would make is if he gave little playing time to Maier because Mitchell refuses to come out of games or the HC is stubborn to keep him playing when he struggles. BLM needs a short leash but not a long one. 

As far moving the hash marks yes, do it!!

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Good points. With the time it takes them to whistle the play in, they are often past 40 seconds, by the time the ball is snapped. Singles I think should be limited to kickoffs and punts. 

Yep. The refs are often soo slow offenses have go wait when trying to go hurry up. They kill any attempt to run hurry up out side of the final minutes.

30 minutes ago, CodyT said:

The cfl should be doing something like the documentry series formula one did. Huge success. All of my buddies are now formula one fans because of this docu.

They have the one in ott this year but a league wide one would be great. The ones so far have all been in Ontario too. 

The only thing in here I'll agree with is bring back Fantaseh. That was amazing and I want it back. I hate the TSN weekly roster thing. Lame. Give me a full season team that we draft in May. The fantasy draft with buddies over some drinks is most of the fun... Always a great time. 

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

They have the one in ott this year but a league wide one would be great. The ones so far have all been in Ontario too. 

Yeah but isn't it short and just online?

Like 9 minute episodes?

Need a universally used streaming program like Netflix or Amazon to pick it up. This is doable. I've seen some low budget **** on Amazon 

Edited by CodyT

11 hours ago, CodyT said:

Yeah but isn't it short and just online?

Like 9 minute episodes?

Need a universally used streaming program like Netflix or Amazon to pick it up. This is doable. I've seen some low budget **** on Amazon 

Yep you are correct. You'd think they could get a university film crew From each city to film it. Have some one from tsn show run make it an hour and bounce between say 4 teams. Can't believe they couldn't match the quality of last chance u. Follow the Bombers riders cats and rbs mainly and mix in some from the rest. 

Totally off topic. But I'm kinda annoyed with football manitoba right now. Maybe someone here can shed some light. My son wants to play football but he is only old enough for flag football (which is some how linked to the Bombers as it's called Bomber futures or something close). The cost is $245.00...for flag football!? Why? Tackle is $290. The real kicker here is to play soccer (same amount of games) is $65.

We don't qualify for assistance or anything and I'm not trying to come off as if we're hurting for $ either....but damn the budget is tight right now. And $65 is a lot easy to justify than $245!!!

Talk about helping grow the game of football....that's gonna continue to be difficult at that price point considering the alternatives.

And just for comparison, I've played touch football for close to 20 years and have never payed more than $150.

Edited by Bigblue204

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Totally off topic. But I'm kinda annoyed with football manitoba right now. Maybe someone here can shed some light. My son wants to play football but he is only old enough for flag football (which is some how linked to the Bombers as it's called Bomber futures or something close). The cost is $245.00...for flag football!? Why? Tackle is $290. The real kicker here is to play soccer (same amount of games) is $65.

We don't qualify for assistance or anything and I'm not trying to come off as if we're hurting for $ either....but damn the budget is tight right now. And $65 is a lot easy to justify than $245!!!

Talk about helping grow the game of football....that's gonna continue to be difficult at that price point considering the alternatives.

And just for comparison, I've played touch football for close to 20 years and have never payed more than $150.

Tell me about it!

My boys just finished the winter indoor season. Same price but they played indoors and there were significant facility costs. 

Spring is just outdoors. 

thinking there's a lot more equipment cost in football, which is where the extra expense comes from.....but still.....if you want kids to play, you have to find a way to be competitive with other stuff. That said, $245 doesn't seem like that much to me, and seems WAYYYYYYY cheaper than hockey, which I can't understand how parents pay for that every year...

Just now, Noeller said:

thinking there's a lot more equipment cost in football, which is where the extra expense comes from.....but still.....if you want kids to play, you have to find a way to be competitive with other stuff. That said, $245 doesn't seem like that much to me, and seems WAYYYYYYY cheaper than hockey, which I can't understand how parents pay for that every year...

The only equipment cost is the flags, which, I can assure you, are fully amortized. And, the t-shirts, which are sponsored. 

They need fields to play on, so that's a cost. Refs too.

But, compared to indoor, why the same cost? 

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There is no equipment. Flags and a couple balls I guess. Tackle is $290. There are no set practice fields, the games are held on fields that tackle uses from what I understand. There can't be that many refs per game, I've seen this flag football being played and there are never more than 2 that I can see. No facility costs for storing equipment. Coaches are volunteers (They ask if a parent would want to coach at the end of registration). So insurance, field costs and a couple shirts (all of which I pay for to play touch and it's almost half the cost). And like I said this is some how in partnership with the Bombers. How expensive would it be if they weren't partnered?? Or is it just a name recognition thing? I don't know...but I really hope someone in that organization knows that is a problem. I'm very likely going to be signing up, but damn the amount of kids who aren't going to be able to due to only cost...they gotta fix that.