2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

On 2022-03-01 at 1:06 PM, TBURGESS said:

You're using terrible 'equivalencies' as usual & we don't even know if Tui wants to play any more. He's given up once before.

Nope just making a point that there are dark clouds out there everywhere and you seem particularly adept at finding them all and pointing them out. You must be a real hoot at parties.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

100%

I'd bet a sizeable sum that he is back and in tight contention for the vacated guard spot. Imo if its between gray and eli, eli wins the spot. 

I would say that with Dobson's signing in the USFL that the odds of Tui being resigned went up significantly. We may have been a little gunshy about resigning him before with Dobson expected to come, but now Tui almost becomes a necessity.

Edited by GCn20

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/02/cfl-fans-accuse-regina-hotel-of-cancelling-grey-cup-reservations-without-notification/

The world is such a different place since 2013....but Regina isn`t. Same old crap and the main reason they shouldn`t be hosting Grey Cups. I am still traumatized by how bad the Grey Cup experience was there in 2013. Price gouging being my main, but not only, complaint....and here we go again.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/02/cfl-fans-accuse-regina-hotel-of-cancelling-grey-cup-reservations-without-notification/

The world is such a different place since 2014....but Regina isn`t. Same old crap and the main reason they shouldn`t be hosting Grey Cups. I am still traumatized by how bad the Grey Cup experience was there in 2014. Price gouging being my main, but not only, complaint....and here we go again.

Same thing happened in Hamilton last year. A co-worker had booked a hotel over GC but the hotel cancelled the reservation because they could get more than twice the rate. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Same thing happened in Hamilton last year. A co-worker had booked a hotel over GC but the hotel cancelled the reservation because they could get more than twice the rate. 

That`s crap, and Hamilton has twice the hospitality infrastructure of Regina so this could get even worse. In 2013, I had the worst experience of my life at a Grey Cup game. I used to go to every Grey Cup and had a great time. The Regina debacle ruined it for me and I have only been to 2 since. It was a nightmare.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

That`s crap, and Hamilton has twice the hospitality infrastructure of Regina so this could get even worse. In 2014, I had the worst experience of my life at a Grey Cup game. I used to go to every Grey Cup and had a great time. The Regina debacle ruined it for me and I have only been to 2 since. It was a nightmare.

It's happened in Winnipeg as well so it's not all that uncommon unfortunately. 

This hotel could definitely have handled this much better though - I've read some accounts where other hotels realized they screwed up and didn't jack the prices for Grey Cup week, so they kept the existing reservations as is but any future reservations were made at a much higher rate.  Another version I've read was that a hotel cancelled all reservations but immediately rebooked the rooms at a slightly higher rate.  They then contacted the affected guests and gave them the option to keep the new reservation or cancel.   So same scenario but 3 different approaches... The Hampton chose the worst possible one.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I was planning to go this year to the Regina for the GC. But, unless I can find private accommodations, it will cost too much. 

We booked rooms a while ago as we found decently priced rooms (for GC week anyhow), but now this story has us checking to make sure our reservations are still in place! 😂

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

I was planning to go this year to the Regina for the GC. But, unless I can find private accommodations, it will cost too much. 

Booked an airbnb house back in December baby! Only one i could find listed that slept 12 in Regina. Put $1000 down on it already so it better not get cancelled!

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

The world is such a different place since 2013....but Regina isn`t. Same old crap and the main reason they shouldn`t be hosting Grey Cups. I am still traumatized by how bad the Grey Cup experience was there in 2013. Price gouging being my main, but not only, complaint....and here we go again.

Last time it was a tour bus company buying all the hotel rooms driving up prices & now this. Regina is too small to host the Grey Cup. It would be like Green Bay hosting the Super Bowl.

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Last time it was a tour bus company buying all the hotel rooms driving up prices & now this. Regina is too small to host the Grey Cup. It would be like Green Bay hosting the Super Bowl.

Pretty much. The tour bus is what I went on. Got to Regina to find out that my hotel room included a stranger as a room mate for the weekend. Went downstairs to the hotel lobby to see if they had any rooms available by cancellation and was told that the tour bus operator had first dibs on any cancellations as he had overbooked his bus tour. I ended up finding a room at a fleabag hotel, it was old but clean and private, as I did not want to be sleeping with a stranger in the next bed. That was just a start to the nightmare though, throughout the weekend I had a terrible time accessing taxis, or even getting a bite to eat without long lineups. I have been to many LDCs prior, and since, and never experienced anything like that in Regina. They can handle a football game, but they sure as heck can't handle the Grey Cup. It's beyond their scope.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Pretty much. The tour bus is what I went on. Got to Regina to find out that my hotel room included a stranger as a room mate for the weekend. Went downstairs to the hotel lobby to see if they had any rooms available by cancellation and was told that the tour bus operator had first dibs on any cancellations as he had overbooked his bus tour. I ended up finding a room at a fleabag hotel, it was old but clean and private, as I did not want to be sleeping with a stranger in the next bed. That was just a start to the nightmare though, throughout the weekend I had a terrible time accessing taxis, or even getting a bite to eat without long lineups. I have been to many LDCs prior, and since, and never experienced anything like that in Regina. They can handle a football game, but they sure as heck can't handle the Grey Cup. It's beyond their scope.

In 2013, I heard people had booked hotels in Weyburn & Moose Jaw. Like, why bother even going? Getting in your car after a night of partying & driving for 45 minutes to go sleep somewhere then having to drive back the mext day isn't my idea of fun. Especially after drinking. I'd just stay home  if I couldn't get a legit hotel in Regina. 

The only cities I'd go for the Grey Cup are Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal & Winnipeg. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In 2013, I heard people had booked hotels in Weyburn & Moose Jaw. Like, why bother even going? Getting in your car after a night of partying & driving for 45 minutes to go sleep somewhere then having to drive back the mext day isn't my idea of fun. Especially after drinking. I'd just stay home  if I couldn't get a legit hotel in Regina. 

The only cities I'd go for the Grey Cup are Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal & Winnipeg. 

I'd like to do Ottawa, as I've never been that far east. I've heard the city has a good party area....I'd be interested to see it. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I'd like to do Ottawa, as I've never been that far east. I've heard the city has a good party area....I'd be interested to see it. 

There should be some hot tubs available on the cheap. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Do what all Winnipeggers do. Leave Winnipeg at  6 am on Game Day, drive to Regina, see the game & drive back. Only 6 hours. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Forgot about Ottawa. Yeah, I'd add that city to my list.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's a very nice city ,  super clean and super safe and the downtown is alive (unlike here).       I'd say Ottawa and Quebec City might be the two best cities in Canada to visit.  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

It's a very nice city ,  super clean and super safe and the downtown is alive (unlike here).       I'd say Ottawa and Quebec City might be the two best cities in Canada to visit.  

hate to derail this thread, but I really want to visit QC. I love Canadian history and "Old Quebec" with the cobblestone streets, and what not, is near the top of my list. One day I'll get out there...

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've only been once for a UFC but I had a great time.  I was near the ByWard Market (about a 10 minute walk to Parliament Hill), super nice, very scenic area with a number of pubs.  I would go back in heartbeat.

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Two very different vibes but both awesome in their right. Ottawa has a lot to offer and it's safe and friendly. Same goes for Quebec City, and Old Quebec City is an amazing experience. Felt like I'd gone back in time when I was there.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ottawa was great. Byward Market is very good. A lot of the teams parties were there or at the convention center which is right by.