2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

48 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This... I don't get. Can anyone explain it? Has field goal kicking dropped that much on our To Do List of important positions? And please don't tell me Ali Mourtada is ready to step up. 

We build from our lines out. We ensured that we have those in place and the remaining positions took a back seat.

42 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've just won back to back Grey Cups, right?  If so, I think we can assume that the people that got us here know what they ar doing and have a plan.  So maybe, we can stow the hand wringing for now and see how things unfold.  

Such reasonableness and logic will not be tolerated here. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This... I don't get. Can anyone explain it? Has field goal kicking dropped that much on our To Do List of important positions? And please don't tell me Ali Mourtada is ready to step up. 

Ali Mourtada is ready to step up.

He may fail, but let’s give him a chance in camp first. Or bring in Jon Ryan and see if he can kick field goals. Or Liegghio. Or Crapigna. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Ali Mourtada is ready to step up.

He may fail, but let’s give him a chance in camp first. Or bring in Jon Ryan and see if he can kick field goals. Or Liegghio. Or Crapigna. 

Why on earth would we want to give chances to 3 guys that failed already or a guy who doesn't place kick??? Ridiculous. 

Medlock was brought in to compete with him, and outperformed him in camp, so he got cut. 

Plenty of kickers get second chances. With your mindset, Bob Cameron would never have been given a shot with the Bombers, having been cut 8 times previously. 

As last year showed, there’s always time to try out a new kicker. I don’t think the consternation is warranted just yet. 

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well for one thing kickers can get better... especially young ones. 

Believe that Lirim Hajrullahu would appreciate reading that comment after he was run out of Wpg a few years back, then to see many wanting him back last year.... Shake my head.

Secondly, Marc Liegghio's university kicking was absolutely nothing to worry about, pretty damn good in my opinion and an excellent draft pick!!!! The young man needs this fan base to back him, rather than hear the boo birds come as is the case... Wow, its sad reading some of the stuff on here. Sometimes I think I'm in the green/white site... Lets not do what has been done before to the above kicker who is kicking in the NFL, today.

Mourtada, well we need to be careful here. As has been said, he needs to make the adjustments and work on his craft. Definitely wasn't a Sergi but who knows he just may surprise us... I'm not giving up on him and for sure not going to crap on him as well. 

Sergi Castillo, well prior to Medlock, I liked him as a kicker when he was with us. He was good then and still is very good for our organization and looked like he was enjoying this time during the Grey Cup celebrations at the IG in December. The 2021 Grey Cup game was more than enough. I hope he does make his way back to the Wpg for the next couple years as our kicker. He's a keeper....

As far as our kicking situation in general, our management group, has had things in control for a few years now. Little is let out of the bag, until things are in place, i's are dotted and t's crossed before the fan base is made aware... We will be OK... Patience, I believe is required.

I don't post often, but have been on this site for a while.. and read most of the material..... Just my two cents, for what ever that is worth

2 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

Why on earth would we want to give chances to 3 guys that failed already or a guy who doesn't place kick??? Ridiculous. 

Ali and legs are raw enough that they could improve significantly. The other two are pointless to bring in. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

He wasn't let go due to performance his first time around. We had Medlock...so not quite the same. 

Sergio stuck around here for most of a year with the best kicker in league history in front of him. When he was let go he went to another team right away and was medlock esq then found his way to the nfl. Hilarious to try and paint that as negative. Not to mention no Castillo no cup last year. 

I still hope lirim is back.