Why We Lost

BigBlue

We lost the battle of the trenches. We could not put pressure on Masoli and if I am seeing straight, we did not come close to regularly threatening him with a sack ( I think we managed one). When Hammy ran the ball we looked rather porous.  Our vaunted front 7 looked rather "below average" as defences go. On the other side of the ball, we were not giving Streveler that extra second to find a receiver finally shaking coverage. He was under constant pressure that led to 10 straight 2 and outs. Neufeld was not making the same holes that Travis Bond was famous for. We could mount no sustained running attack, even with Andrew Harris busting a gut.

Ritchie's defensive back placement sucked. There is no other word for it. His umbrella, as usual, was too deep and Masoli feasted on multiple open receivers underneath. By way of contrast Hamilton played our receivers quite tight. Streveler did not have time for his receivers to work their way open. Ritchie's bend- don't-break defence was a feast for the Tiger Cats.

Maurice Leggett has no business returning kickoffs, unless we want to be regularly scrimmaging at the 20 yard line instead of the 35 or 40. That experiment has failed and it made a significant difference to field position.

Streveler was "tempered" instead of being allowed to lead. He does not need training wheels. He is an improviser that can make things happen. Instead he was left inside of Lapo's tightly controlled offence. Let the "stars" shine... PLEASE See how he did in the last couple drives (albeit against a prevent defence). I believe he could have done same thing in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

We can influence Lapo and replace Ritchie. But why we lost the battle of the trenches: I am not sure. Was it scheme? Was it attitude or overconfidence? Was it personnel? Coaching?  I don't have the slightest idea except that I keep hearing how talented we are. That talent didn't show up tonight.

Maybe we came in overconfident and resting on our laurels, not waking up until it was too late.

We are certainly outclassed by Hamilton. I tip my hat to them, but tonight only.

Rushing 6 and 7 into a max protect of 7 down after down is just beyond pointless.  DB's can't cover the whole field, you're either giving away deep throws or short throws.  That's why LB's are part of coverage too.  Hopefully the open spots on the field are the furthest from the QB so he has to be accurate and have time to get the ball there.  If it's a short throw, hopefully the window is small so the QB has to be accurate.  So pointless to blitz if you can't get there, and you make it predictable so they are literally scheming for it.  Just useless.  Masoli was literally throwing into 30 yards of field and the receiver would just run under it, catch the ball and then turn up for the next 5-6 yards for the first.

There's no deception in this defense and that makes it incredibly easy to beat.

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

Ths Bombers got called on twi holds I thought were highly interpretative by the zebras .... just because your block goes down doesn't mean he was held .... cost a 33 yarder by Harris and caused a drive to stall ... two big difference makers when we were driving to score

No the Chungh hold is a hold.  You can't stop moving your feet and hip toss the DL.

Add to this we have a Qb that is in his 3rd game of the year! We have to have patience with him...its taken Masoli 6 years to get where he is. And he hasn't won anything yet to prove he is a next level Qb ethier. Masoli has gotta do this all year and get the Tabbies in the playoffs before i put him in that zone.

We lost because rushing 4 gets no pressure, when we blitz we still can't get there, our secondary is playing a soft zone most of the time and get beat, then in man to man they get beat, our safety is never in good position to do anything,our offence has a fiery qb with little experience but is learning, Bowman and Adams are not up to speed ,but mostly we lost because the Ti-Cats scored more points.

Edited by bustamente

Hall is done....as long as we hold on to incompetent coaching we will suffer the consequences...The talent on D is there...Subpar performance Ritchie...time to hang em up...And please nobody try to say it isn't the coach who is out there making the plays...Tired of that one....The proof was all out there for everyone to see tonight and Hall can't hide anymore 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

No the Chungh hold is a hold.  You can't stop moving your feet and hip toss the DL.

The stupid thing about the Chungh hold is that is was on a delayed draw. So the smart thing would have been to let the defender through rather than block.

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

Hall is done....as long as we hold on to incompetent coaching we will suffer the consequences...The talent on D is there...Subpar performance Ritchie...time to hang em up...And please nobody try to say it isn't the coach who is out there making the plays...Tired of that one....The proof was all out there for everyone to see tonight and Hall can't hide anymore 

Coach will protect Hall. He won't throw him under the bus. Next game & every game after that we'll give up huge yards vs the pass. Things won't change. 

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Rushing 6 and 7 into a max protect of 7 down after down is just beyond pointless.  DB's can't cover the whole field, you're either giving away deep throws or short throws.  That's why LB's are part of coverage too.  Hopefully the open spots on the field are the furthest from the QB so he has to be accurate and have time to get the ball there.  If it's a short throw, hopefully the window is small so the QB has to be accurate.  So pointless to blitz if you can't get there, and you make it predictable so they are literally scheming for it.  Just useless.  Masoli was literally throwing into 30 yards of field and the receiver would just run under it, catch the ball and then turn up for the next 5-6 yards for the first.

There's no deception in this defense and that makes it incredibly easy to beat.

what is really stupefying is that we just kept trying it over and over and over. at some point you gotta go ouch that element is hot im gonna try some thing else rather then keep touching it. but nope.  

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Coach will protect Hall. He won't throw him under the bus. Next game & every game after that we'll give up huge yards vs the pass. Things won't change. 

I believe james stanley is here in part to take up the reigns of DC mid season if needed. Kinda like plop being ast HC and oc when mos was on the hot seat before turning the ship around. I could see young and younger as guys groomed to be dcs eventually as well. 

more and more the only thing left resembling the richie hall D is the stink of bend but dont break. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Classic Richie Hall game.

Lapo overthinking...

Neufeld is what he is...

Soo true. If our D plays competently lapo over thinking becomes a minor issue. Neuf idk how the guy sticks around. even with the right passport. He is beyond lousy even at guard. We gotta do some thing to get foketi in at guard, or take our lumps with the other younger nucks and let em develop. 

It would be interesting to hear the conversation between O'Shea and Hall going over game tape. 

Im sensing a lot of D players are being inserted under the bus and not his schemes/adjustments.

Probably a-lot of 'I drew it for them to be in a position of success, they didn't execute'. Classic coach statement when the heat is on.

Sometimes its actually true but in this case excuses are running thin for coach based on his body of work over the last few years.