The Manny Show - Loffler was a hit

HardCoreBlue

To distract us from our current misery.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on Loffler's hit on Manny Arceneaux. Do you agree that these types of hits should be taken out of football?

Coaching PeeWee football this year, we were penalized on a few occasions both offense and defense in taking out players that didn't see it coming from a blocking or tackling point of view. And I'm not talking about the penalties that occurred 30 yards away from the play where a player takes out an an unsuspecting opposition. Those I agree in being penalized.

I'm all for player safety and I don't want to see players experience long term effects but I struggle with accepting that these types of hits being outlawed. Isn't there onus on all players to be aware of one's surroundings? Like in Hockey not keeping your head up when receiving a pass?  

Anyways, I'd like to hear what other's think. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

What if he'd caught the ball?  You have to make that kind of hit in the end zone.

That's a great point.

I'd like to ask CFL Officiating does the rule dictate that Loffler still gets penalized even if he caught the ball, i.e player in a vulnerable position? 

11 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

That's pretty much what I said during the game... Except I said you might as well put belts with little flags on the players.  That hit was perfect.

10 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I said the same thing to a co-worker not more than 5 mins ago- verbatim. 

Get your own lines.

The ball wasn't caught, it was already past the receiver when Loffler laid him out. In the old days, it's a great hit and my section is chanting 'bring out the meat wagon and get this game going'. Nowadays, it's a dangerous hit and will be flagged every single time. 

two big guys running full tilt towards each other. Loffler did not lead with his head. Turned away from the hit. The ball had just been tipped away as Loffler went for contact. Slowing it down and analysing is one thing. But in real time. There's no chance to change what you're doing. It happens way way way to fast. Like I said Loffler didn't do anything illegal. He got penalized because Manny got KO'd. Case in point...Dressler gets leveled the play before the field goal..no penalty on the same type of hit. Only one difference. Dressler got up. Accidents happen. When there is no illegal actions involved, you can't penalise a guy for an accident.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

two big guys running full tilt towards each other. Loffler did not lead with his head. Turned away from the hit. The ball had just been tipped away as Loffler went for contact. Slowing it down and analysing is one thing. But in real time. There's no chance to change what you're doing. It happens way way way to fast. Like I said Loffler didn't do anything illegal. He got penalized because Manny got KO'd. Case in point...Dressler gets leveled the play before the field goal..no penalty on the same type of hit. Only one difference. Dressler got up. Accidents happen. When there is no illegal actions involved, you can't penalise a guy for an accident.

They call roughing the passer all the time when a guy does not mean to but falls into the quarterback low or late

1 hour ago, Mike said:

May as well play touch football if that hit is a penalty.

i disagree with you on this point as the effect of head injuries is now well known whereas back in the days before concussions (a.k.a B.C.) player safety took a back seat to male bravado. i am all for a good sack, open field tackle or bone jarring hit when the player sees it coming but Manny had no chance on that play to protect himself and Lofler ought to know better than to hit him up high like that even though he led with the shoulder. the game was on the line and that hit added fuel to the Lions fire.

if that would have been one of the Bombers receivers we would all want and expect a penalty to be called.

Times have changes. if we want to see football we either accept that those kind of hits are penalties or talented athletes will choose other sports where they aren't as susceptible to brain injuries.

Loved the hit, I didnt think it deserved a penalty though.  I kept thinking about the terry ray hit on pat woodcock, but the difference there was Ray hit him as the ball was hitting his hands, Loffler had a full step or 2 after the ball went off his hands. I can see why it was called but it is what it is.

In the end I hope Arceneaux is alright

5 minutes ago, sportmentary2012 said:

i disagree with you on this point as the effect of head injuries is now well known whereas back in the days before concussions (a.k.a B.C.) player safety took a back seat to male bravado. i am all for a good sack, open field tackle or bone jarring hit when the player sees it coming but Manny had no chance on that play to protect himself and Lofler ought to know better than to hit him up high like that even though he led with the shoulder. the game was on the line and that hit added fuel to the Lions fire.

if that would have been one of the Bombers receivers we would all want and expect a penalty to be called.

Times have changes. if we want to see football we either accept that those kind of hits are penalties or talented athletes will choose other sports where they aren't as susceptible to brain injuries.

Loffler didnt have time to stop and say...oh ok he didn't catch it. He was in the air when Manny tipped the ball away. He was making a football play during the most important game of the year to seperate the ball from the rec. Didn't lead with his head. Even turned away from the hit. Two big guys running like that, there's bound to be an accident here or there. They called Loffler only cause Manny didn't get up. it unfortunate, but you can't penalise guys for accidents. If Loffler had jumped under Manny's chin, then sure that's not good. But he didn't. Manny was Ko'd as a result of playing hard football. Not cause Loffler tried to hurt him.

Edited by Bigblue204

I've seen opposition defenders try to separate the head from the body of  some of our receivers and it was not considered a penalty...Just a bull$hit call....This game is played rough (that was a clean hit by Loffler) AND if you can't take the heat ...get the hell out of the kitchen... I swear this game is turning into one for the mamby pamby's...O'Shea is still shaking his head on that one as I am about the stupid last call by him at the end going for the field goal....Horsefeathers.

we can't ignore the "what if he caught it" factor... this is Manny Arceneaux we're talking about here... if the ball is remotely close to him, there's about a 90% chance he's catching it...

So what if Manny had the ball in his hands and Loffler's hit jars it loose preventing a TD... does he still get a penalty?... Does that mean safeties are now in a lose-lose situation where they have to decide give up a TD or risk taking a penalty while knocking the ball loose, with a clean hit no less...

it's such a grey area in this case... it's a great hit and would hate to see it taken out of the game... but how do you protect a wr extending for a catch??

I don't agree with the majority on here. That WAS a great football hit. Over and over again. But, in that situation, it definitely was a penalty. Hitting a defenceless receiver. That penalty has been called in the NFL, CFL, and any FL league that has any credence. You see the consequences of that hit. Arceneaux -out.

Love the aggressiveness of the hit, and I wouldn't stop my players from doing it, because, it was close, and Loffler hit cleanly, but it is dangerous.

I'd expect a flag every time.

15 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

If that hit is going to be called a penalty every time, then I'm probably going to go ahead and take the 15 yards every time. Call it the cost of doing business. It's a shame that a clean hit draws a flag for being executed too effectively.

That is how I feel. I'm okay with the penalty because it puts the fear of God into em. They'll start getting the alligator arms in traffic.. 

Also, if ever there was a guy who deserved to take a hit like that, it's Manny Arceneaux, who's been imposing his physical will on DBs for years...