The Manny Show - Loffler was a hit

HardCoreBlue

20 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

Loved the hit...but Loffler could have pulled up or gone by...his intention from the beginning was to nail him. In the end it hurt us two ways...the penalty...and making the lions mad.

If I'm the DC, I would tell Loffler to make the hit every time and to heck with the penalty if it is called.

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I really don't know how they expect loffler to stop on a dime like that. Personally I don't like that a clean non head shot hit is penalized.  

If that wasn't Arcenaux I'm not sure it's called cuz seen plenty of times where the flag isn't thrown 

Nowadays, regardless of who it is, it's called 99% of the time. I just think the pendulum has swung where we are witnessing a drastic change in how this game is being played. I understand why but . . .

Reminded me of the hit Demond Washington put on Fred Stamps in the end-zone a couple of years ago, Stamps left the stadium on a stretcher.  Although Fred was already on the decline, fair to say he was never the same player after that hit.  I know some fans love to see that level of brutality but player safety is more important than some wannabe warriors getting their jollies cheering as an athlete lies unconscious or crippled on the field.

9 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Would Arcenaux hit a DB in that position if he was blocking downfield?  Yes he would.  Why can't he be hit?

Wow, you nailed it JBR!  Arcenaux has ABSOLUTELY blown guys up, I mean, blown them up to smithereens, on MANY an occasion. He is a big, mean, nasty, effective receiver who completely manhandles little DB's and would absolutely NOT hesitate - at any point - to make a point to destroy a DB in a chase position, say, looking the wrong way. So, in this case, he just met a man who is as big and mean and he is...if Arcenaux gets up after that hit, there is absolutely (too many "absolutelys?") no way the ref chucks that flag.

2 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

Nobody is saying he shouldn't be hitting as hard as he does...but he has to pick his spots...and that was not one of them.

Given the laws of momentum and the spit-second in which the decision had to be made, I suggest that there was really no viable option.

11 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I don't agree with the majority on here. That WAS a great football hit. Over and over again. But, in that situation, it definitely was a penalty. Hitting a defenceless receiver. That penalty has been called in the NFL, CFL, and any FL league that has any credence. You see the consequences of that hit. Arceneaux -out.

Love the aggressiveness of the hit, and I wouldn't stop my players from doing it, because, it was close, and Loffler hit cleanly, but it is dangerous.

I'd expect a flag every time.

yeah I honestly hate seeing a player walking off like that, where its possible he might have suffered permanent brain damage.  It's injuries like that that may one day be the death of this game we love so much.

The way PI is called on now, on a close play in the end zone I'd rather a big body like Loffler try separate the guy from the ball with a big hit, than try get his hands in there and get a BS PI call (in this particular play he wasn't' close enough to do anything other than the hit, but just as a general thought). I loved the hit live, as brutal of a collision as it was. 

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah I honestly hate seeing a player walking off like that, where its possible he might have suffered permanent brain damage.  It's injuries like that that may one day be the death of this game we love so much.

Stamps will thank Loffler, if Manny is no go next weekend.  Love Denmark all to pieces but if he had to face Loffler I think he would revert to the fainting goat routine.

11 hours ago, blitzmore said:

Nobody is saying he shouldn't be hitting as hard as he does...but he has to pick his spots...and that was not one of them.

And then if Manny catches the ball, everyone is questioning Loffler for easing up and not playing to the whistle.

To be honest, this might not be a popular opinion with some people but last I checked, football is a job that these guys willingly participate in. It's not slavery, they're not being forced to go out there and compete in a barbaric sport that puts them at risk against their own will. For that reason, while I prefer to not see a guy have his brains scrambled if all things are equal, I don't care to see these hits removed from the game. I hate that what would've made highlight reels 20 years ago is now picked apart. That's a beautiful hit and I'm going to cheer every single time Loffler lays a guy out like that, medical implications be damned.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

And then if Manny catches the ball, everyone is questioning Loffler for easing up and not playing to the whistle.

To be honest, this might not be a popular opinion with some people but last I checked, football is a job that these guys willingly participate in. It's not slavery, they're not being forced to go out there and compete in a barbaric sport that puts them at risk against their own will. For that reason, while I prefer to not see a guy have his brains scrambled if all things are equal, I don't care to see these hits removed from the game. I hate that what would've made highlight reels 20 years ago is now picked apart. That's a beautiful hit and I'm going to cheer every single time Loffler lays a guy out like that, medical implications be damned.

If Manny catches the ball great...but he didn't and Loffler knew it...watch it again with an open mind.

15 hours ago, blitzmore said:

That's great until it costs you a touchdown.

It might cost you a touchdown then but do you think Manny would be very keen on going down the center again? Nothing is free. You want to protect your territory you have to fight for it. But in the end you own that chunk of land and that could save you a lot of touchdowns. Hearing footsteps is very distracting.

23 minutes ago, LeBird said:

It might cost you a touchdown then but do you think Manny would be very keen on going down the center again? Nothing is free. You want to protect your territory you have to fight for it. But in the end you own that chunk of land and that could save you a lot of touchdowns. Hearing footsteps is very distracting.

I was talking in this particular case...not in general...in that case I agree with you.

Edited by blitzmore

There was a play last night on MNF.  Giants receiver running down the sidelines and the ball is thrown to him, it's a 20+ yd pass.  The ball is overthrown, missing the receiver's hands.  Two steamboats later the Bengals DB plows the Giants receiver from the side, never slowing down or veering away when he certainly could have.  There is no flag from the refs and no reaction from the fans, coaches and commentators.  I know this was the NFL and not the CFL but they have arguably tighter rules concerning hits to defenseless players. 

Loffler had maybe a second to lessen his contact and he did somewhat by turning his head and he never left his feet.  I don't see how Loffler could have avoided the hit and penalty or not I'm glad he followed through.  It was a good football play to me.

I weep for our sport. When did playing and watching football start requiring panties. This PC nonsense has to stop. It's a violent collision sport. Plain and simple. If you don't like it you shouldn't be watching or playing it instead of trying to turn it into some mamby pamby sport.

I have been around football for a long time, and I am willing to make a pretty strong educated guess that every football player who saw that hit on the replays, even Arcenaux's team mates subconsciously, went "Whhooooaaaa.....NICE HIT!!"

Edited by gcn11

31 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

There was a play last night on MNF.  Giants receiver running down the sidelines and the ball is thrown to him, it's a 20+ yd pass.  The ball is overthrown, missing the receiver's hands.  Two steamboats later the Bengals DB plows the Giants receiver from the side, never slowing down or veering away when he certainly could have.  There is no flag from the refs and no reaction from the fans, coaches and commentators.  I know this was the NFL and not the CFL but they have arguably tighter rules concerning hits to defenseless players. 

Loffler had maybe a second to lessen his contact and he did somewhat by turning his head and he never left his feet.  I don't see how Loffler could have avoided the hit and penalty or not I'm glad he followed through.  It was a good football play to me.

Not arguably, ....definitely. The NFL has a rule against hitting prone people. The CFL has no such rule. By the letter of the rule that Loffler was flagged for, he did not commit the infraction.

3 hours ago, blitzmore said:

If Manny catches the ball great...but he didn't and Loffler knew it...watch it again with an open mind.

Really, Loffler knew it??... Manny's arms were still extended in the air (hence leaving his sternum exposed) when the hit happened... so in that approximately half a second from the time the ball skinned his hands to the time the hit was laid, Loffler is expected to analyse the situation, realize the pass was dropped and either completely stop his momentum or change direction on a dime at full speed... keep in mind Loffler clearly leads with his shoulder and aims for the body, not the head... I understand why the call was made, I don't agree with it, but I understand... 

29 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I weep for our sport. When did playing and watching football start requiring panties. This PC nonsense has to stop. It's a violent collision sport. Plain and simple. If you don't like it you shouldn't be watching or playing it instead of trying to turn it into some mamby pamby sport.

I have been around football for a long time, and I am willing to make a pretty strong educated guess that every football player who saw that hit on the replays, even Arcenaux's team mates subconsciously, went "Whhooooaaaa.....NICE HIT!!"

hey, I don't care what Loffler likes to wear under his uniform as long as he keeps hitting like that... ;)

Also, political correctness and player safety are completely different things...