Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

48 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

He's from before I followed football. Why does everyone hate him?

He's reviled by a few on here, but he is generally considered a Saint by most. He single-handedly saved the Blue Bomber organization, respected among his peers, started so many initiatives for cancer care. And probably one of the greatest presidents and COOs of any organization.

Surprised there isn't a statute of him at IG field.

2 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

He's reviled by a few on here, but he is generally considered a Saint by most. He single-handedly saved the Blue Bomber organization, respected among his peers, started so many initiatives for cancer care. And probably one of the greatest presidents and COOs of any organization.

Surprised there isn't a statute of him at IG field.

If I remember correctly, he saved the Bombers by being very fiscally responsible.  After they were on better footing though, the cheapness handcuffed the team a bit and that's when people turned on him.

Agreed that he did a bunch of good, but may have overstayed it.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We lose the best GM in the CFL & the asshat who's the cause of the cap gets to keep all of his jobs in Edmonton. 

we won't lose Walters. If it comes down to the cap being a problem then give Ritchie Hall a well earned retirement and hire a younger defensive coordinator and save money there.  Boom Walters is back. 

2 hours ago, Sard said:

If I remember correctly, he saved the Bombers by being very fiscally responsible.  After they were on better footing though, the cheapness handcuffed the team a bit and that's when people turned on him.

Agreed that he did a bunch of good, but may have overstayed it.

Like a lot of GMs & head coaches. Bauer did okay. Getting rid of Dave Ritchie was his mistake. Hiring Mike Kelly was his downfall.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

we won't lose Walters. If it comes down to the cap being a problem then give Ritchie Hall a well earned retirement and hire a younger defensive coordinator and save money there.  Boom Walters is back. 

I'd also hope that Miller & O'Shea would be willing to take financial haircuts to keep him.

I know  nothing about cui, but this?

"Tom Richards said Chris Jones has faced challenges with this young team, some pieces are coming together and there are some great signs that things are building on the field."

young team? lol.

manny arcenaux , for example. what team would take this guy?   

coming together?   their D took three straight penalties to give bombers a td last week, imcluding an int by that young man Ed Gainey.

explain firing cui, ok,   but it would have been better to leave Jones out of it.

Edited by Mark F

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Like a lot of GMs & head coaches. Bauer did okay. Getting rid of Dave Ritchie was his mistake. Hiring Mike Kelly was his downfall.

I'd also hope that Miller & O'Shea would be willing to take financial haircuts to keep him.

I’d argue it wasn’t getting rid of Dave Ritchie, but keeping Jim Daly in 2005 was the bigger mistake. 

Ritchie screwed up the team with roster management and personnel choices. (If we think Osh is bad for that..hoooo boy)

Keeping Taman around for another 5 years wasn’t great either but I get they couldn’t pay anyone else. 

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I know  nothing about cui, but this?

"Tom Richards said Chris Jones has faced challenges with this young team, some pieces are coming together and there are some great signs that things are building on the field."

young team? lol.

manny arcenaux , for example. what team would take this guy?   

coming together?   their D took three straight penalties to give bombers a td last week, imcluding an int by that young man Ed Gainey.

explain firing cui, ok,   but it would have been better to leave Jones out of it.

Arcenaux...Gainey...Leonard...Last yr Carter....and Mack Henry....retreads like Antiga.....not what and where you should be building a core...Tossing away prob one the best kickers in league...whom u may need for a lot of stalled drives....guaranteeing money to Corney.....a lot of this mess is right at Jones feet....he is doing it right on defence tho with some of the young guys in the defensive secondary, but he is going about it ass backwards in my opinion

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d argue it wasn’t getting rid of Dave Ritchie, but keeping Jim Daly in 2005 was the bigger mistake. 

Ritchie screwed up the team with roster management and personnel choices. (If we think Osh is bad for that..hoooo boy)

Keeping Taman around for another 5 years wasn’t great either but I get they couldn’t pay anyone else. 

Ritchie and Bauer were at odds, Ritchie knew it and held tightly to veterans to try and avoid giving Bauer a reason to fire him. It was moreso going with Daley that screwed things than firing Ritchie.  Firing Berry was a mistake, the bigger mistake was going with Kelly. Don't fire people and replace them with worse people.

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think taman was the key issue. Not that he couldn’t be a success but he couldn’t reign in Dave. We needed to re tool and get rid of long in the tooth vets make use of young talent etc Dave wouldn’t do that taman wouldn’t make him because Dave made taman. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ritchie and Bauer were at odds, Ritchie knew it and held tightly to veterans to try and avoid giving Bauer a reason to fire him. It was moreso going with Daley that screwed things than firing Ritchie.  Firing Berry was a mistake, the bigger mistake was going with Kelly. Don't fire people and replace them with worse people.

Still can't get over cutting Kevin Glenn.

I know people have strong feelings about the guy, but just getting rid of a starting QB for nothing is just crazy.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I know people have strong feelings about the guy, but just getting rid of a starting QB for nothing is just crazy.

Considering we traded a second rounder for Lefors and had to end up playing Michael Bishop it was absolutely awful in hindsight. Even with horrible QB play we were only one win away from a playoff birth. I’d imagine with Glenn starting with that 09 roster we would have likely been good enough for a home playoff game that year but this regime has made me forgive the short comings of previous teams, I don’t really sweat that stuff anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Considering we traded a second rounder for Lefors and had to end up playing Michael Bishop it was absolutely awful in hindsight. Even with horrible QB play we were only one win away from a playoff birth. I’d imagine with Glenn starting with that 09 roster we would have likely been good enough for a home playoff game that year but this regime has made me forgive the short comings of previous teams, I don’t really sweat that stuff anymore. 

I’m not sure we needed the benefit of hindsight for those moves.

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

this regime has made me forgive the short comings of previous teams, I don’t really sweat that stuff anymore. 

I am kind of the opposite. Past failures remind me how good we have it now, which is why I shake my head at what I consider is “roster management” B.S. O’Shea is not above criticism, and no one has suggested that, despite what the naysayers accuse the defenders of constantly to make their point. But those who want to turn on him and say we are winning by luck or that it will surely bite us in the loss column, despite no real evidence of same for the past 6 years, would do well to remember what we have and what might replace it. Everyone bitched about Cal Murthy’s tight pocket book and curmudgeonly attitude near the end when we lost talent and had an inevitable backslide, and rather than let him re-build again, the club  jumped on the newest shiny object and bought the snake oil and sizzle of Reinbold when there was no substance behind the sales pitch. Then after that black hole and the Ritchie resurrection, fans turned on him, then Taman and Bauer, despite success, because Ritchie liked vets and Taman preferred proven talent over draft picks, and were left in another re-build with Mike Kelly’s arrogance and then Joe Mack’s arrogance and incompetence, both with disasterous results. We finally have stability but some want to find a reason to nitpick O’Shea and find a reason to turn on him, making mountains out of molehills and looking for excuses to dump on him and be the first to say “I told you so” if he gets the axe. 

I’d prefer the Pittsburgh Steelers model where a coach is allowed to re-build over and over if he has a past track record of success, and it’s the players who are accountable if they fail. There is a limit to it of course, and all coaches have a shelf life, but maybe pump the brakes on all the hate about O’Shea’s inability to manage a roster until he actually starts to have a losing record AND can’t climb out of it with an attempted re-build. JMO. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Doesn’t matter if it’s coach player scout or other front office type. In pro sports before you cut a guy out right you need to have some one as good or better lined up. Unless it’s a totally toxic situation which Glenn certainly was not. 

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Doesn’t matter if it’s coach player scout or other front office type. In pro sports before you cut a guy out right you need to have some one as good or better lined up. Unless it’s a totally toxic situation which Glenn certainly was not. 

But if my recollection is correct and I was young but had season tix with the parents the year of Mike Kelly, Mike Kelly kinda turned that Glenn situation toxic pretty quickly. The Kelly year stands out to me big time, I remember sitting by his winnipeg gf, I remember the boat incident.  I remember the handled internally stuff, I seriously have so many memories.  I met Mike Kelly ffs. Just yeah thinking back, crazy **** 

Dude was a character but at that time I thought he was great and a breath of fresh air and he was very nice and polite to me 

Edited by Goalie

45 minutes ago, Goalie said:

But if my recollection is correct and I was young but had season tix with the parents the year of Mike Kelly, Mike Kelly kinda turned that Glenn situation toxic pretty quickly. The Kelly year stands out to me big time, I remember sitting by his winnipeg gf, I remember the boat incident.  I remember the handled internally stuff, I seriously have so many memories.  I met Mike Kelly ffs. Just yeah thinking back, crazy **** 

Dude was a character but at that time I thought he was great and a breath of fresh air and he was very nice and polite to me 

He brought in some good players in his one year with the team. He really built the nucleus of what would be the 2011 Grey Cup contending team. The big problem was he was very un professional, and obviously the big hole at QB. 

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

I met him a couple of times too and he was really nice and polite at those times too.  I really think that his big mistake was replacing Glenn in the offseason.  If he hadn't done that, I believe the team would have done much better that year and I wonder if the "handled internally" stuff would have even happened.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Glenn is too mediocre to win! So here's Stefan Lefors!

It was a pants on head stupid move because mediocre Glenn is a hell of a lot better than awful Lefors. Kelly made his mark alright,  and it was doomed to fail from the get go and everyone knew it.

didnt he also try to bring back playig under center with our QB too....which was an epic flop

1 hour ago, Booch said:

didnt he also try to bring back playig under center with our QB too....which was an epic flop

Wildcat! Lol. Kelly coached like he thought what ever he did 20 ish years prior would dominate no matter what. Funny thing is I’m certain he didn’t learn and still thinks the same thing. 

I think it’d be as viable to run a good split from under centre formations as full shot gun. but pistol is just a really good balance. Plus it’s easier to run far more zone run plays out of pistol or shot gun.  It’s tough to beat. To really make the old school drop back from centre stuff work you gotta have the blocking to widen the book ends and a good blocking back. Plus you can’t have a qb who is slow getting it out. 
 In general I feel like the classic drop back style is dying off even down south. Not a lot of teams running the 90s pro style offence or the outliers like wing T.