Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

10 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Last year I thought Holm was the worst prospect I’d seen in this era. 
He’s been very good this year, I’m wondering (as you have more knowledge than me) who do you think would be a better option? (That we have right now)

Parker? I can’t think of anyone else that can play HB without messing up the secondary. 

His demeanor is what I'm most impressed with. He wants the focus on his team, not him.

Not losing his shite after getting flagged for something he clearly didn't do is showing he's well beyond his years.

The Dickenson brothers should show clips of him to their players on how to handle yourself on and off the field.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Last year I thought Holm was the worst prospect I’d seen in this era. 
He’s been very good this year, I’m wondering (as you have more knowledge than me) who do you think would be a better option? (That we have right now)

Parker? I can’t think of anyone else that can play HB without messing up the secondary. 

I would say Parker or Swarmay....Holm sure...has been decent....but has been targeted a ****-ton.....as evidenced by his targets and tackle....and his completion percentage against is prob one worst on team...sure he has some knockdowns, but u will get more than others when u are targeted 3x more than other db's

He's not a good tackler one on one...gets washed out and lost in traffic as he is built like a 13 yr old kid,...and for all the targets he has faced, obviously not a ball hawk as he just got a pick in game 8....Tackles are nice and all...but as a DB if you have a pile of them...that mans your receiver for ost part you are facing is making the catch....People make it seem like he is all over the field cleaning up everyone else's issues, and misses and tackling their guy...that is not the case....and could care about his fancy lil feet....I want to see loose hips and fluid transitions...I see more of that in others at practices I have attended....

a few comments were made in TC after a few of the projected starters went down with injury and everyone just glomming onto it now....why I dunno...Prob cause he a white db from a smaller program...who knows, and as far as speed there are others on the team with just as much speed as him, but are more physical and way better tacklers

I also work with athletes in and coming out o the Mountain West Conference for draft  day prep, as well as some recruiting and coaching so have a fairly good handle on what I see and how I determine things.....which is why I have the opinion on our roster use quite often and that some players get the benefit of the doubt due to being a longer tenured guy here...even tho they are not the best player in the line-up, and or coach Osh's hardcore love of some guys for his own reasons...some not sure why, and those players see the fieldthat is a fact and many here can argue or disagree with it...but it is what it is....There should be no reason Kramdi is starting before a few others...especially when his nationality isn't required in the ratio....same with Thomas....He really should have been sent packing after last yr, or cut/PR'd this yr...but that goes back to our lousy recruitment of Dlineman and having nobody to play the spot...There are a few other guys ..mainly tamers who have no real purpose being still here, s they serve no use other than this yr poor special teams play, but coach loves them...so they are here....Rant over...lol....all I have to say on that, as I know jackshit is gonna change save for some influx of injuries, or we really pooch a few games due to it, and the HC finally pulls his head out of his arse

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

His demeanor is what I'm most impressed with. He wants the focus on his team, not him.

Not losing his shite after getting flagged for something he clearly didn't do is showing he's well beyond his years.

The Dickenson brothers should show clips of him to their players on how to handle yourself on and off the field.

this is what any player should be focused on.....so again...media making mountain out of nothing makes me laugh

And who here loses their mind on a bad call...nobody, as thats the culture here....so I guess kudos to him for seeing the culture and the FIFO thing...but it's nothing to be applauded for

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

and his completion percentage against is prob one worst on team

It's actually the reverse...and not just this season.  But he only started 4 games last year and didn't play much D in the other 5.  He's got a better ratio of completions to targets than any DB in the league this year, even Nichols.  The only DB on our roster getting targeted less is Nichols, and the only DB on our team with fewer tackles per start is Nichols.

ADS, Houston and Lawrence are most targeted per start.

ADS as a corner on pace for 90 tackles in 18 games.  Don't think I want that guy out there over anyone else but maybe Lawrence.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's actually the reverse...and not just this season.  But he only started 4 games last year and didn't play much D in the other 5.  He's got a better ratio of completions to targets than any DB in the league this year, even Nichols.  The only DB on our roster getting targeted less is Nichols, and the only DB on our team with fewer tackles per start is Nichols.

ADS, Houston and Lawrence are most targeted per start.

ADS as a corner on pace for 90 tackles in 18 games.  Don't think I want that guy out there over anyone else but maybe Lawrence.

then lots musta changed the last 2 games as he was the most targeted by a long margin

1 minute ago, Booch said:

then lots musta changed the last 2 games as he was the most targeted by a long margin

ADS had two games of double digit targets.  He's in the top 5 and only played 3 games.

BC threw 20 balls at ADS and Lawrence 2/3 of their passes in the 30-6 romp.  Those guys on the sideline next matchup, BC can barely get a first down.

Our pass yards against (and yards against generally) has dropped dramatically with Kramdi at SAM over Darby.

Must be because he sucks so bad he's distracting the other team.

Lots to criticize but also need to make peace with reality sometimes.

Our pass rush could use a boost.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

ADS had two games of double digit targets.  He's in the top 5 and only played 3 games.

BC threw 20 balls at ADS and Lawrence 2/3 of their passes in the 30-6 romp.  Those guys on the sideline next matchup, BC can barely get a first down.

here are tackles per game avg

Nichols - 2.5

Rose - 2.6

Houston - 3.1

Holm -4.1

Swarmay - 4.6

Lawrence - 2.0

How is that number best on team?......

BC also had to deal with Rose/Nichols combo...which basically shut down a lot of their passing options...Wilson as well.....other factors you didn't factor in.

Provide these completion percentage numbers you are claiming as well...I have access to something but cant share here, and it doesn't correlate to what you claim

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Nichols - 2.5

Rose - 2.6

Houston - 3.1

Holm -4.1

Swarmay - 4.6

Lawrence - 2.0

BC also had to deal with Rose/Nichols combo...which basically shut down a lot of their passing options...Wilson as well.....other factors you didn't factor in.

Provide these completion percentage numbers you are claiming as well...I have access to something but cant share here, and it doesn't correlate to what you claim

Obviously teams will throw more to that side of the field. Holm/Rose/Kramdi vs. Houston/Nichols/Wilson.

Our secondary is amazing. This is nitpicky garbage at best.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Nichols - 2.5

Rose - 2.6

Houston - 3.1

Holm -4.1

Swarmay - 4.6

Lawrence - 2.0

Fair points on BC.  Also pretty significant having those corners confident to attack the ball and not just wait for it to get caught.  Gives a chance for Bighill to actually get home a couple times.

Numbers from PFF.  About the only good thing they do is give access to a data sheet with a membership.  Unfortunately it's weekly so have to compile it.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Fair points on BC.  Also pretty significant having those corners confident to attack the ball and not just wait for it to get caught.  Gives a chance for Bighill to actually get home a couple times.

Numbers from PFF.  About the only good thing they do is give access to a data sheet with a membership.  Unfortunately it's weekly so have to compile it.

PFF is bunk lol...but I guess when all there is basically what ya gonna do eh?

Our defense is shaping up nicely....can be even better tho....we have tons of depth and options...these are the games we should be trying to find the best opti9ons/combos and not standing pat...waiting for injury or a major screw up isn't the way to go about it in my opinion

32 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I don't 'lose' my mind I go balistic ....My better half says I get scary and I can clear a room pretty fast....I have to learn to keep calm BUT after all of the years connected to football I haven't learned that trick

I'm better than I used to be, but that was an extremely low bar. I'm not sure if it's the pandemic that changed me, or getting married, or just old age..... but I don't get as completely "ruined" as I used to. There were times I was inconsolable for most of a week following a loss. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm better than I used to be, but that was an extremely low bar. I'm not sure if it's the pandemic that changed me, or getting married, or just old age..... but I don't get as completely "ruined" as I used to. There were times I was inconsolable for most of a week following a loss. 

well....thankfully over past 3 yrs...including playoffs u have only had to deal with 9 of them...hahaha

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

well....thankfully over past 3 yrs...including playoffs u have only had to deal with 9 of them...hahaha

ha ha - this is also likely part of it! God help us all if we start sliding down the other side of the hill....... *taps forehead to knock on wood*

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

funny thing is I actually get more stressed watching games now... because now I expect them to win... when the team was bad (especially the really, really bad years) you'd just hope for the best but expect a loss...

It also helps my stress levels when I am watching the game live with 30,000 of my closest friends and family

13 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

I vent online with you clowns instead of screaming out loud at home.  I find this has helped my decent into madness slow a bit.

I tend to take losses very personally. I've only been a passionate fan since around 2018, so I've mostly experienced the positive moments. My son, nephew, and brother-in-law are devoted fans who have been through the tough times. I watch games and discuss football mainly with them, and they help me maintain perspective and appreciate our successes. They find it amusing when I get overly upset about minor setbacks since they've endured the darker periods of the franchise.

After a loss, I usually feel pretty down and don't feel like posting here. I've also missed most of the disappointing games this year due to being out of town camping with the grandkids. Maybe that's for the best, as I strive to maintain a positive and encouraging online presence regardless of my current mood.

I can think of so many times holm has gone full speed to the opposite side of the field to take a tackle on a players that’s not even his. Those numbers aren’t reflective of just completions. 

Anyway I’m logging on to see where Jamal went from the injury list. DT didn’t say anything about changes in his visits to practice. Maybe a new returner?

2 hours ago, Bombertown said:

I can think of so many times holm has gone full speed to the opposite side of the field to take a tackle on a players that’s not even his. Those numbers aren’t reflective of just completions. 

Anyway I’m logging on to see where Jamal went from the injury list. DT didn’t say anything about changes in his visits to practice. Maybe a new returner?

Yeah Booch is reaching hard on his criticisms of Holm. I've seen him make plenty of one on one tackles, he stopped mills from breaking a huge run last week. He doesn't take penalties. 

He's not the best DB on the team, but there is exactly zero reasons to take him off the field. 

At this point Booch is just being stubborn for the sake of it lol.