Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

1 minute ago, coach17 said:

You're over thinking it. You never know when a gem will appear and of course you do want to recruit with that in mind. However finding the next one is not all that easy. Other things come into play like signing castoffs who might have been overlooked or not needed , trades etc. With the strong veteran core and some prospects looking good on the practice roster, I think we will be ok. we for sure do not want to do a Wally and start cutting vets who might still have some serviceability, but although Wally  is a hall of fame coach , I do not remember him winning many multiple or back to back championships. I think this regime is doing it right and rewarding those who have put it all on the line. When the time is right I think they will mostly  move on , on a term that everyone can accept.

I’m overthinking it because I’m irked that our problems from last year appear to be even bigger problems this year? 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

The big decision we made this year that irritates me is we brought an entire batch of receivers to camp to take up spots, gave none of them any significant level of game or practice time with QB1 and then cut every single one of them. The only one that even made the PR is a gadget guy who is a carbon copy of a guy we had last year.

If you decided before camp even started that none of them were going to get an opportunity to show out, why did we even bring them all in?

That's probably more a factor of who was willing to come vs. Not. This management group seems to know which prospects are going to be the guys before they even get here and wait for them to show up all the time anyway.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I’m overthinking it because I’m irked that our problems from last year appear to be even bigger problems this year? 

Maybe, but lets see how our talent we have plays out and see who we might bring in. Having Kongbo sign with the Leos is certainly a big loss. For sure no one in training camp or preseason came as advertised except maybe Thomas, Caba might also be an answer. We might also be stronger in the back end with Alexander and Darby starting the season , so that might make a difference. Until we play a regular season game with real bullets flying we wont know how this will play out. Preseason is for trying to figure out what and who works best.

More maneuvering to come.  By my count they have 6 guys left who would need a DI spot to get on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

A global kicker makes sense if they are in the same ballpark as Legghio due to the cap savings. Every little bit might add up to enough to help our our Dline right now.

Makes no difference until next season cap-wise.

If they wanted the best cap value they'd have kept Liegghio doing all three jobs.  The only kicker not making minimum is Castillo.

Based on these cuts ..seems obvious Brady O..Bighill.. Jeffcoat and likely Lawrence and Rose are all game 1 starters...like was alluded to by Osh..and from personal experience "injured" guys who media and fans see at open "practice" are doing a lot of work "in the dark" hence why I was never too concerned..I also have seen several and talked to a few working out...and can say non issue

Haba is a guy likely to rotate in...just cause was a late to camp guy doesn't mean just a fly by night invite...circumstances may have only made coming late work for both parties...he had good burst...used leverage real well and will be a handful ..gets under and low to ground and is a tackles nightmare...he's a more compact faster version of Jeffcoat

Hopefully Parker isn't hurt too bad..I actually thought he was a victim of a solid nut shot..and too much was made of Rose last yr..was hurt for good 2/3rd of season but soldiers thru it...Him and Lawrence are the best (and most experienced) corners here...I have zero concern there...BA and Darby to start season...same with Lawrence makes us better than where we started last yr...Nichols..the best in the biz we know is solid...that other half not sure who gets it...regardless...will be a better backfield than last yr

Our kicking situation is better than last yr...our QB stable in my opinion is better than last yr...I'd say our receivers are too... especially when Lawler is back...On-line as well is better...I have zero concern with age of Stan...his play hasn't suffered...and now we have capable and proven reserves in Eli..Dobson..and Kolo...plus Richmond....and the Japanese fella is also serviceable

I tho too was dissapointed in what we brought and did with import linebackers as I would hope/think this yr is the transition yr with Biggie...unless he totally shoots out the lights..then I will give him some leeway into 2024 but will want to see huge competition for his spot...Wil...crapshoot who gets it...Brian Cole tho...wouldn't shock me until Wilson is back...maybe we go Canadian...I'm sure we have a plan...

All in all I didn't expect any big surprises..because why should we have...and it would have taken an all world effort by someone for that to be even considered...and that never happened...and really ..nobody last yr showed huge regression from age...we had a lot of season long injury issues which hinders a lot of guys...and we still piled up 15 wins...now tho...if the same cast of characters have same season long issues...this regime will move on...make a trade...or bring someone in...or give someone inhouse next in line their shot...we have seen all the above done by them...I trust the process and decisions they make..tho have made it known I have questions and beefs with at times odd roster management and player usage...but again..we winningest franchise over last what..3 ..4 yrs??

And also not concerned with the aging issue others have...today's 30 to 35 yr old athlete is not the same cat it was in the 80's..90's and even early to mid 2000's...so again...that doesn't concern me

Was a little taken by surprise with the release of Leggs...... but I had a feeling going into the offseason that if a kicker showed up in 23' camp that performed well, that Leggs would be on the block....Proved to be the case and really IF the Aussie can keep kicking the way he has we'll be in good shape.....No worries with Castillo on board....the guy is money....So we'll see how this all shakes down as we get into the reg. season....The biggest find has to be Pigrome....That is one helluva signing and makes it for me....Kick the tires on McCalister and or the lemonater ....that could be the missing piece on D if we can get it done

1 hour ago, Mike said:

For me the biggest "hole" we had last year was our kicking game, which eventually did bite us in the ass in the Grey Cup game.  That hole has been completely filled and now I have confidence again in our kicking game.  We shouldn't lose too many games this year due to kicker brain farts like we did last year.  And I'm happy.  Let's go blue - 18-0 this year.  Looking forward to watching Bo Levi running for his life this Friday!

Edited by kelownabomberfan

29 minutes ago, Booch said:

I tho too was dissapointed in what we brought and did with import linebackers as I would hope/think this yr is the transition yr with Biggie...unless he totally shoots out the lights..then I will give him some leeway into 2024 but will want to see huge competition for his spot...Wil...crapshoot who gets it...Brian Cole tho...wouldn't shock me until Wilson is back...maybe we go Canadian...I'm sure we have a plan...

I've been operating under the assumption that Cole would be our MLB if Bighill is missing...so maybe gets in at WIL?

I share the concerns that @Mikeand @Jesse and others have about the DL and our linebackers. Hopefully Haba can give us a solid 20-25 snaps out of the gate and contribute. Would take Lemon there too.

Don't like the WIL situation or even no real back up for Biggie.

Great point on the Wrs. 

Its weird that the regime has such great OL, DB and WR talent and depth but doesn't seem to be doing the same at DL and LB.