Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't agree. Yes, we have some holes on defense on the interior of the DL & linebacker but otherwise we're solid. We roll with 2 Canadian running backs in Oliveira & Augustine. They're not going to switch ratios to an American as that means a Canadian will have to play elsewhere probably on defense in the secondary so Salima is the better back than Augustine but he gets cut & an underperforming & more expensive Augustine makes the roster. That's the down side of having a ratio.  

Isn’t that the point we’re making though? We had these same holes last year (rotational LB and DE) and they’re only going to become a bigger issue this year as our players get older and we appear to have done absolutely nothing.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s tough to say, because in a lot of cases they didn’t even really get a chance to compete. Who the hell competed with Adam Bighill in training camp? Lol

We used to have four pre season games & the rookies got lots of chances to show off their talent & really push the veterans. Not anymore. Decisions are made off just one or 2 series in maybe only one game & practices. It's not the greatest way to evaluate anyone. I wish we could share practices with other teams. Have a scrimmage against another CFL team. Anything to better evaluate talent. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't agree. Yes, we have some holes on defense on the interior of the DL & linebacker but otherwise we're solid. We roll with 2 Canadian running backs in Oliveira & Augustine. They're not going to switch ratios to an American as that means a Canadian will have to play elsewhere probably on defense in the secondary so Salima is the better back than Augustine but he gets cut & an underperforming & more expensive Augustine makes the roster. That's the down side of having a ratio.  

I'm not predicting the wheels to fall off, for the record. I think we have far and away the best roster in the league.

But as guys get older, you want to be able to find guys to come in behind them. Neither Jefferson or Jeffcoat should be playing as many snaps as they did last year, and there's no one coming up behind them. We don't have any linebackers as far as I can see. I'm very happy with our depth in the secondary and our offence is pretty set, but there's some clear planning for the future that needs to happen on D that seems to be being ignored.

Just now, Mike said:

Isn’t that the point we’re making though? We had these same holes last year (rotational LB and DE) and they’re only going to become a bigger issue this year as our players get older and we appear to have done absolutely nothing.

No idea why it's so hard to recruit a big DT to take care of the run inside & push the OL on the pass rush. I will agree with you on that. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The group they had last year went 15-3 and could have easily been 16-3 and won a 3rd straight grey cup with a couple made kicks... that's how. 

I know you're big on younger exciting players but not like these guys were all that shaky.

That's the point he's making about this being a recruiting fail.

Just now, 17to85 said:

The group they had last year went 15-3 and could have easily been 16-3 and won a 3rd straight grey cup with a couple made kicks... that's how. 

I know you're big on younger exciting players but not like these guys were all that shaky.

I wasn’t looking to cut Bighill or Jeffcoat or anything like that, that’s not what I’m after. I’m not even sure my complaint (more of a frustration, I guess) is even directed at the coaching staff although I think part of it is.

It just feels to me like we almost wasted training camp. It feels like instead of finding some answers to the questions our roster has, we’re just banking on the questions going away and I don’t think that’s a safe bet with our roster getting older and older. Let’s not kid ourselves, we’re not aging into our prime here, we’re aging out of it.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We used to have four pre season games & the rookies got lots of chances to show off their talent & really push the veterans. Not anymore. Decisions are made off just one or 2 series in maybe only one game & practices. It's not the greatest way to evaluate anyone. I wish we could share practices with other teams. Have a scrimmage against another CFL team. Anything to better evaluate talent. 

No one wants more preseason games. Rookie camp started a month  ago. They've seen lots of the kids.

Just now, Jesse said:

I'm not predicting the wheels to fall off, for the record. I think we have far and away the best roster in the league.

But as guys get older, you want to be able to find guys to come in behind them. Neither Jefferson or Jeffcoat should be playing as many snaps as they did last year, and there's no one coming up behind them. We don't have any linebackers as far as I can see. I'm very happy with our depth in the secondary and our offence is pretty set, but there's some clear planning for the future that needs to happen on D that seems to be being ignored.

I don't think we should expect another 15-3 season. The Lions will be tough as will the Stamps in the West. Hamilton looks like it could make some noise. I'll he happy with 13-5 if we finish first. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Easily🙃

Our O should be very good. Guess this means Brady is good to go also so our O should be strong  

I got questions about the D tho for sure. LB and DT still ?? 

DBs look solid as a group. Strong depth 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Mike said:

And even 2019 and 2021 when the D was rolling it was based on depth.  Jefferson especially wasn't out there every down.  Jeffcoat often was when he was able to dress.  But the success of that pass rush was predicated on dressing 7-8 DL.  Jeffcoat, Jefferson, Kongbo, Hansen, Richardson, Nevis, Thomas was the 2019 playoff DL.  Roh filled in that season when Jeffcoat was out.

The depth is really lacking now.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I wasn’t looking to cut Bighill or Jeffcoat or anything like that, that’s not what I’m after. I’m not even sure my complaint (more of a frustration, I guess) is even directed at the coaching staff although I think part of it is.

It just feels to me like we almost wasted training camp. It feels like instead of finding some answers to the questions our roster has, we’re just banking on the questions going away and I don’t think that’s a safe bet with our roster getting older and older. Let’s not kid ourselves, we’re not aging into our prime here, we’re aging out of it.

We seeing the effects of the other leagues siphoning off talent, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Our O should be very good. Guess this means Brady is good to go also so our O should be strong  

I got questions about the D tho for sure. LB and DT still ?? 

DBs look solid as a group. Strong depth 

WIL, DT and DE are big concerns.  As they were last year.  Hoping Cole can do more than chase kicks this year, but he didn't show much in preseason.

Thomas looks good at DT, but they have to get him on the roster.  Not too enthusiastic about any of the rookie edge guys, need to see more of Haba.  Bennett won't be much more than filler.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then what is the problem? They've evaluated & made their decisions. 

The problem is we appear to be banking on our impact defensive players to gain the ability to play MORE as they age through their 30s. That doesn’t seem like a safe bet to be making.

Our offense looks scary good but honestly, our front seven rotation looks really ugly to me on paper this year. You’re not going to convince me that Ricky Walker and Jake Thomas is the combination that is all of a sudden going to let Jefferson/Jeffcoat run wild.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I am disappointed that none of the DEs or LBs jumped out either.  But it was always gonna be hard for them when Hansen and Wilson are still in the coaches plans obviously. And Clements for his faults is still a guy been around.

Just now, Mike said:

The problem is we appear to be banking on our impact defensive players to gain the ability to play MORE as they age through their 30s. That doesn’t seem like a safe bet to be making.

Our offense looks scary good but honestly, our front seven rotation looks really ugly to me on paper this year. You’re not going to convince me that Ricky Walker and Jake Thomas is the combination that is all of a sudden going to let Jefferson/Jeffcoat run wild.

Agreed. If I was Walters I'd be chasing Sean Lemon right now.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I hope they use Lawson a lot more this season.  Might help vs the run so we don't get gashed as much.  Use Thomas on passing downs more.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Now, one kid that made the roster is Haba, who was only signed on May 30th. They must like him a lot.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I am disappointed that none of the DEs or LBs jumped out either.  But it was always gonna be hard for them when Hansen and Wilson are still in the coaches plans obviously. And Clements for his faults is still a guy been around.

The big decision we made this year that irritates me is we brought an entire batch of receivers to camp to take up spots, gave none of them any significant level of game or practice time with QB1 and then cut every single one of them. The only one that even made the PR is a gadget guy who is a carbon copy of a guy we had last year.

If you decided before camp even started that none of them were going to get an opportunity to show out, why did we even bring them all in?

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're over thinking it. You never know when a gem will appear and of course you do want to recruit with that in mind. However finding the next one is not all that easy. Other things come into play like signing castoffs who might have been overlooked or not needed , trades etc. With the strong veteran core and some prospects looking good on the practice roster, I think we will be ok. we for sure do not want to do a Wally and start cutting vets who might still have some serviceability, but although Wally  is a hall of fame coach , I do not remember him winning many multiple or back to back championships. I think this regime is doing it right and rewarding those who have put it all on the line. When the time is right I think they will mostly  move on , on a term that everyone can accept.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

The big decision we made this year that irritates me is we brought an entire batch of receivers to camp to take up spots, gave none of them any significant level of game or practice time with QB1 and then cut every single one of them. The only one that even made the PR is a gadget guy who is a carbon copy of a guy we had last year.

If you decided before camp even started that none of them were going to get an opportunity to show out, why did we even bring them all in?

Because they ran out of kicking nets.