West Final GDT: Back to Back Champs vs Dome Boys

Nolby

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why the CFL wants to compete with the NFL on Sundays during the playoffs make no sense. Plus not having the games on network tv like CTV really hurts. The goal should be maximum exposure for the CFL but I dunno the way this league is run. 

3 things not mentioned that are important to consider:

1. Ratings are down in part compared to last year because Saskatchewan was not playing. Rider and Bomber games always draw the most eyeballs

2. The ratings do not account for streaming of games, which negatively affects the numbers. Actual total viewership will be higher than what the ratings reflect. 

And most importantly:

3. The CFL western final had better ratings than every other single sporting event on that day - including all the NFL games, and Maple Leafs game, and a Raptors game. 

League of course has issues, but adding some context puts those numbers in a much more positive light. 

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The issue with CBC  was that they only wanted to do Labour Day on and you miss half the season. I wish Sportsnet would get involved.

If Sportsnet does for the CFL what they did for the NHL broadcasts, hard pass from me. Although they way overpaid for the rights, their production and panels IMO are awful. And the last thing I want is resident malcontent Arash Madani becoming the Sportsnet face of “let me tell you why the CFL is irrelevant, bring on the XFL” every time he opens his mouth when he covers the league. 

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If Sportsnet does for the CFL what they did for the NHL broadcasts, hard pass from me. Although they way overpaid for the rights, their production and panels IMO are awful. And the last thing I want is resident malcontent Arash Madani becoming the Sportsnet face of “let me tell you why the CFL is irrelevant, bring on the XFL” every time he opens his mouth when he covers the league. 

Oh I agree. I mean I wish they'd get involved to give TSN competition and maybe force them to step it up. 

a combo of CBC and TSN (or Sportsnet?? or all 3??) would be pretty neat. But Streaming is really the elephant in the room. We talk about various TV networks..... but how much does streaming play into all of this? I think once streaming of live sports becomes more accessible (it's already getting there in the US.....Canada won't be far behind) it's going to really change the game. Just determining how many eyeballs were on a given game is going to be really difficult, I think...... though I'm sure there's monitoring tech that I'm not even aware of....... but it changes how you go about approaching advertisers. And WHICH advertisers.....if you'll pardon the pun, it's just a whole new ball game. 

never was a fan of the "numbers" as there is no way of even really knowing....how do u determine eyes on a game in venues...groups in a household...etc...etc...if there are butts in the seats...u know there are many multiples more watching....it's an antiquated thing and really wish they wouldn't even bother with "numbers"

and really...who really watches the ads, and has it influence them in any way...other than annoy a person watching the same ones over and over....people buy things based on what they want...and if its the trending thing...not a commercial...and advertisers will always be there to put their ads on the air anyway....

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I noticed and tried watching (It was a bit boring honestly) the QEW rivalry doc the CFL made on Crave. So maybe there's a relationship there that can be expanded?

wonder if there will be others...like a Prairie one

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

a combo of CBC and TSN (or Sportsnet?? or all 3??) would be pretty neat. But Streaming is really the elephant in the room. We talk about various TV networks..... but how much does streaming play into all of this? I think once streaming of live sports becomes more accessible (it's already getting there in the US.....Canada won't be far behind) it's going to really change the game. Just determining how many eyeballs were on a given game is going to be really difficult, I think...... though I'm sure there's monitoring tech that I'm not even aware of....... but it changes how you go about approaching advertisers. And WHICH advertisers.....if you'll pardon the pun, it's just a whole new ball game. 

I have streamed all the away games this year. It's been pretty good. I cut the cord 22 years ago and haven't looked back. 

It's a little bit too complicated for me to go that route yet. The thing I love most about my Roku TV is all the apps on the desktop that are easy to access. Once I can access my life sports right from the desktop of my TV with one click, then I'll be ready to go that route. But not until it's that easy. I live in a tiny town that happens to have the 2nd fastest internet in North America (a ridiculous, yet true, stat....crazy fibre optic ****) so I'll be ready when the tech is ready.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I would love for them to try Saturday games (again?). I know the bars and restaurants around the country likely agree too. It's gonna be hard for me to go out for some drinks after the game Sunday. 

As a former sports bar owner I can tell you emphatically that sports bars don't make much off of the CFL regardless. Sad but true. Hockey, UFC ppv, and NFL drive the sports bar business....in Manitoba anyway. Partners such as Labatt, Molson etc don't have any CFL driven giveaways or help with the CFL to draw people in to the sports bars for CFL viewing and frankly there is a reason for that. Sports bars will carry CFL games on secondary screens for those interested, but whether the game is a Saturday or Sunday it is not a sports bar engine...with the exception of local team big games, playoffs, and Grey Cup...really 3-4 CFL games a year.

Edited by GCn20

19 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I have streamed all the away games this year. It's been pretty good. I cut the cord 22 years ago and haven't looked back. 

Cut the cord years ago and stream all the games. I pay my 20 bucks a month during CFL season to TSN and then switch my membership to Crave for the remainder of the year. Used to keep TSN year round but discovered NHL66 and TSN became of no use to me for anything but CFL.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Games really should be on CTV as well as TSN.

I might be wrong but didn't they try Saturday for the playoff games about a decade ago and decide it did not work?

Not that I am aware of, but Saturday isn't great either. You are then competing with hockey in the home market and UFC in the sports bar/restaurant venue.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Steaming is the future and will bring glitches and frustrations. We will probably have to pay for each TV program or game we choose to watch which will likely be streamed directly from the content provider, taking the networks right out of the picture. Like it or not, this is the future.

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Games really should be on CTV as well as TSN.

I might be wrong but didn't they try Saturday for the playoff games about a decade ago and decide it did not work?

That's a lifetime ago even if it's true.

13 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Cut the cord years ago and stream all the games. I pay my 20 bucks a month during CFL season to TSN and then switch my membership to Crave for the remainder of the year. Used to keep TSN year round but discovered NHL66 and TSN became of no use to me for anything but CFL.

Not that I am aware of, but Saturday isn't great either. You are then competing with hockey in the home market and UFC in the sports bar/restaurant venue.

The NFL is a juggernaut. The NHL isn't. The CFL already competes with the NHL in weekends in October & November on weekends now anyway. 

31 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

2008 ESF was a noon start here on a Saturday. It was great, aside from being one of the saddest games in Bomber history. 

Agree, absolutely no reason to not do playoffs on Saturdays 

I just remember losing to the Eskimos - what made it the saddest? 

Other than me having bought Grey Cup tickets in Montreal hoping we would be there 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I just remember losing to the Eskimos - what made it the saddest? 

Other than me having bought Grey Cup tickets in Montreal hoping we would be there 

I remember that game. Greg Marshall utterly refused to cover passes in the flats all afternoon. One of the most infuriating games I've ever watched.

And just a quick comment regarding streaming - Get in touch with Jay Nova for one of his TV boxes. Literally every single channel you can imagine and then some, plus continuous 24/7 streams of movies and shows (current and classic). Just got my TV box from him a couple weeks ago, and I'll never subscribe to another streaming service again.