2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

29 years of losing and dismal management is a tad dramatic. 

We had really good teams many of those years. 1992 1993, and 1994 were very good. That 1993 team was one of the best in league history - if Dunigan doesn’t get hurt they likely win. Go look at the scores vs the Esks during the regular season. 1994 lost by a cross bar interfering with a wide open Wilcox. 

2001 was one of the best teams in CFL history - they happened to play a bad game at the wrong time. 2002 they ran up against a future HOFer on a good team without Milt and lost a road game by a FG. 

2007 they were the better team - they just had Glenn break his arm on a meaningless play. 

There were other quality teams along the way. Nobody else went into two GCs with their backup QB starting, that’s for sure. 

12 hours ago, CodyT said:

You know what I love about die hard bomber fans? Through 29 years of losing, dismal management and coaching. Some real terrible terrible teams. Bomber fans still showed up to the games. I could be wrong but never do I remember a single game under 20 k. Nevermind 12k.

Everyone gives Saskatchewan the title for best fans because the riders are all they have. The reality is the Bombers have always been relevant in our province. Win or lose. With, or without the Jets 

Kudos

On another note though, I hate that I end of cheering for other teams to win games for the sake of the viability of the league. I shouldn't have to root for Edmonton to win a home game so they can start getting attendance up again. Cheering for Chris Jones to have success just seems... wrong

Nonetheless I feel bad for Elks fans. Good on the ones who stick around

We’ve had our share of low crowds when things were on a downturn here. From 1997-1999 we had a ton of no-shows, and barely averaged 20,000 paid attendance a game even with half price or giveaway tickets to paper the house. Actual in-stadium numbers were lower. Had almost a dozen games under 20,000 with a low of 15,000 in 1999. 

We’ve even had low crowds with a competitive team. Hosted a playoff game in 2003 with only 22,000 in the stands, and the infamous 12,210 home playoff game in 1988 when the fans stayed away en masse because the team lost 3 straight going into the playoffs that year. Then they got hot and won the Grey Cup, and all kinds of fans twisted ankles jumping back on the bandwagon. They even made T-shirts saying “I was 1 of the 12,210” to honour the diehards who did show up at that game. They sold 50,000 of them. 

Even as recently as our current dynasty, we’ve had the odd low crowd in the new barn. Had only 20,900 show up for a late season game in 2019, had 3 games under 23,000 last year, and 23,500 this year for A Grey Cup re-match. 

Bottom line, we have a solid fan base and are riding likely the greatest run of success the league has seen in over 40 years, and we still see some empty seats, should we shouldn’t feel too superior. If we lost 17 in a row, I guarantee we’d see a lot of empty seats, based on the 1990’s precedent. Let’s just enjoy the ride for now. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

56 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

29 years of losing and dismal management is a tad dramatic. 

We had really good teams many of those years. 1992 1993, and 1994 were very good. That 1993 team was one of the best in league history - if Dunigan doesn’t get hurt they likely win. Go look at the scores vs the Esks during the regular season. 1994 lost by a cross bar interfering with a wide open Wilcox. 

2001 was one of the best teams in CFL history - they happened to play a bad game at the wrong time. 2002 they ran up against a future HOFer on a good team without Milt and lost a road game by a FG. 

2007 they were the better team - they just had Glenn break his arm on a meaningless play. 

There were other quality teams along the way. Nobody else went into two GCs with their backup QB starting, that’s for sure. 

Also, and it's a minor pet peeve, it was only 28 years of GC failure... we won in the 29th year. 

13 hours ago, CodyT said:

You know what I love about die hard bomber fans? Through 29 years of losing, dismal management and coaching. Some real terrible terrible teams. Bomber fans still showed up to the games. I could be wrong but never do I remember a single game under 20 k. Nevermind 12k.

As much as I like the point you're making. This just isn't true. During the Reinbold days, crowds were often so small I was all alone in a upper deck section with my dad. We'd basically just go sit where ever we wanted up there. And once I was old enough he let me go down to the lower sections alone and I'd sit right behind the bench. We've had plenty of years with real bad attendance.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

As much as I like the point you're making. This just isn't true. During the Reinbold days, crowds were often so small I was all alone in a upper deck section with my dad. We'd basically just go sit where ever we wanted up there. And once I was old enough he let me go down to the lower sections alone and I'd sit right behind the bench. We've had plenty of years with real bad attendance.

looking back...1989 avg 23.7k...1990 avg 27.1k...1991 avg 27.7k...1992 avg 26.1k...1993 avg 25.1k...2000 avg 25.2 k...2001 avg 27k...2006 avg 26.9k...2007 avg 27.7k...2010 avg 26.1k...2011 avg 29.5 k....just for some of the leaner yrs

10 yr avg from the 1987 point was 26 391....10 yr avg from the 1995 point was 25 538...10 yr average from the 2011 point was 26 399 and the 10 yr avg from 2021 point is 27 683

so based on that we have had good and healthy/consistent support

Just now, Booch said:

looking back...1989 avg 23.7k...1990 avg 27.1k...1991 avg 27.7k...1992 avg 26.1k...1993 avg 25.1k...2000 avg 25.2 k...2001 avg 27k...2006 avg 26.9k...2007 avg 27.7k...2010 avg 26.1k...2011 avg 29.5 k....just for some of the leaner yrs

10 yr avg from the 1987 point was 26 391....10 yr avg from the 1995 point was 25 538...10 yr average from the 2011 point was 26 399 and the 10 yr avg from 2021 point is 27 683

so based on that we have had good and healthy/consistent support

ticket sales never has and never will = butts in seats. Which is why the L'ks can say they had 20,000 people there.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

ticket sales never has and never will = butts in seats. Which is why the L'ks can say they had 20,000 people there.

Being that this is a gate driven league, ticket sales are the engine that drives the organization.  Therefore if someone buys a ticket and then decides not to show up, oh well.  The only issue is when teams count "freebie" tickets because while they are important to grow the brand, too many freebies says something about the health of the franchise.  

32 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Being that this is a gate driven league, ticket sales are the engine that drives the organization.  Therefore if someone buys a ticket and then decides not to show up, oh well.  The only issue is when teams count "freebie" tickets because while they are important to grow the brand, too many freebies says something about the health of the franchise.  

I wonder how much revenue a “freebie seat” generates in concessions and merch? 

I guess I should get off my high horse. Not really though. If the average attendances listed above are accurate we've been somewhat consistent 

That being said, I really only became a die hard fan in 2005. Jim Dailey on. So as a fan, prior to 2019 I watched a lot of ineptitude as a young fan. Being dramatic on 28 years? Probably. Not winning a grey cup in that span, especially with an 8-9 team league is  quite awful.

I do agree that if we had lost 19 in a row our attendance would dip significantly. Thanks for the insight and the information all 

Edited by CodyT

53 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

From the ocean of empty seats at most games this season, I would predict most teams are going to lose a boatload of money, and yet the B.O.G. has agreed to increase the operating budget to pre-pandemic levels even with an attendance drop off.  So can we be sure they are still mainly operating as a gate driven league?

Personnel subject to the football operations cap include coaches, general managers, scouts, equipment staff, and video personnel.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/24/cfl-operations-cap-to-increase-to-pre-pandemic-levels-in-2023-report/

Edited by Fatty Liver

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

I guess I should get off my high horse. Not really though. If the average attendances listed above are accurate we've been somewhat consistent 

That being said, I really only became a die hard fan in 2005. Jim Dailey on. So as a fan, prior to 2019 I watched a lot of ineptitude as a young fan. Being dramatic on 28 years? Probably. Not winning a grey cup in that span, especially with an 8-9 team league is  quite awful.

I do agree that if we had lost 19 in a row our attendance would dip significantly. Thanks for the insight and the information all 

I also only became a fan around 2002/3 or so.

But I went to every game in 1998. I was one of the kids literally handing out free t-shirts to everyone who came to the game - we were given free seats to do it.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

From the ocean of empty seats at most games this season, I would predict most teams are going to lose a boatload of money, and yet the B.O.G. has agreed to increase the operating budget to pre-pandemic levels even with an attendance drop off.  So can we be sure they are still mainly operating as a gate driven league?

Personnel subject to the football operations cap include coaches, general managers, scouts, equipment staff, and video personnel.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/24/cfl-operations-cap-to-increase-to-pre-pandemic-levels-in-2023-report/

I don't think that they are getting a ton of new money from broadcast rights or merchandizing, so yes, I'd bet that we're still gate driven.  There are better people here than me who might know more about the nuts and bolts of this though.

I go back to 1968 watching the Bombers in person but I don't know if talking about attendance that long ago has any relevance to today. I do remember a crowd in 1970, the last regular season game of the year where only 8,000 fans showed up in a cold rain/snowstorm. In 1968, only 12,500 showed up at Winnipeg Stadium in a late season game in October vs Ottawa.

Edited by SpeedFlex27