2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

5 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Streveler did it in the 2019 semi.  Temp -11.

LTF for Wpg on the 13th is a high of -8

Streveler platooned in that game and had a total of 11 snaps behind centre.  Not sure even Strev could have lasted if he was the starter and took every offensive snap. In fact, I would have bet heavily against it happening and that is probably the main reason we went out and got ZC. 

However, if BC were to platoon Rourke and VA maybe that could be effective if done right.

Edited by GCn20

1) Marcus Brady was a truly awful back-up QB in the CFL...... I have no idea what kind of coach he'd be.

2) Comparing Rourke and his bum foot to Streveler and his injury in 2019 is laughable. Rourke is a good QB, make no mistake, but Chris Streveler is a Manimal. He's not fully human. I personally don't believe Rourke has the internal (or external, for that matter) strength to do what Strevy did in '19. 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

INteresting with a at least one HC job open wonder if Marcus would looking into being a HC in the CFL

He'd be an interesting choice. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

1) Marcus Brady was a truly awful back-up QB in the CFL...... I have no idea what kind of coach he'd be.

2) Comparing Rourke and his bum foot to Streveler and his injury in 2019 is laughable. Rourke is a good QB, make no mistake, but Chris Streveler is a Manimal. He's not fully human. I personally don't believe Rourke has the internal (or external, for that matter) strength to do what Strevy did in '19. 

If the Lions ask Rourke to do what Streveler did in 2019 he'd be done & finished as a player by halftime of the semi final. The way Campbell disregards the safety of his players, I wouldn't be surprised. 

33 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Streveler platooned in that game and had a total of 11 snaps behind centre.  Not sure even Strev could have lasted if he was the starter and took every offensive snap. In fact, I would have bet heavily against it happening and that is probably the main reason we went out and got ZC. 

However, if BC were to platoon Rourke and VA maybe that could be effective if done right.

Every qb hates platooning or alternating. My son was a qb at SFU back in 2014 & he had to do that with the other qb. There wasn't really a starter all season. My son quarterbacked SFU to a win over Dixie State & then started the next week against Iowa State. He threw a TD pass but had 3 intercetions & 6 sacks that game before Jacques Chapdelaine replaced him in the third quarter. Iowa States's DL overwhelmed SFU & Tyler was running for his life. It was then Chap started alternating qbs.  Both guys hated it. Just pick one guy & then trust him. Jacques couldn't do that.

I was good friends with Greg Barton who played with the Argos back in 1971-73. He shared the qb duties with Joe Theismann his first year & he told me both of them couldn't stand it. They alternated every series not because it was some kind of strategic advantage. It was because HC Leo Cahill couldn't make up his mind who should start. That went on until Greg broke a finger on his throwing hand muid season & Cahill gave the starting job to Theismann. 

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Every qb hates platooning or alternating. My son was a qb at SFU back in 2014 & he had to do that with the other qb. There wasn't really a starter all season. My son quarterbacked SFU to a win over Dixie State & then started the next week against Iowa State. He threw a TD pass but had 3 intercetions & 6 sacks that game before Jacques Chapdelaine replaced him in the third quarter. Iowa States's DL overwhelmed SFU & Tyler was running for his life. It was then Chap started alternating qbs.  Both guys hated it. Just pick one guy & then trust him. Jacques couldn't do that.

I was good friends with Greg Barton who played with the Argos back in 1971-73. He shared the qb duties with Joe Theismann his first year & he told me both of them couldn't stand it. They alternated every series not because it was some kind of strategic advantage. It was because HC Leo Cahill couldn't make up his mind who should start. That went on until Greg broke a finger on his throwing hand muid season & Cahill gave the starting job to Theismann. 

Absolutely not an ideal situation to platoon unless you have a guy with a unique skillset like Strev brought to the table. However, I am not sure that Rourke's foot lasts a full game if they don't, and VA isn't good enough to advance his team. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

55 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He'd be an interesting choice. 

If the Lions ask Rourke to do what Streveler did in 2019 he'd be done & finished as a player by halftime of the semi final. The way Campbell disregards the safety of his players, I wouldn't be surprised. 

They cannot ask Rourke to run the ball, that's for sure. However, they might try him for a few series and alternate with VA and hope someone catches fire.

Just now, Goalie said:

So... who has Rourkes baby first? Farhan or Arash 

Farhan and Arash wish they were having Rourke's baby.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Absolutely not an ideal situation to platoon unless you have a guy with a unique skillset like Strev brought to the table. However, I am not sure that Rourke's foot lasts a full game if they don't, and VA isn't good enough to advance his team. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Err on the side of caution with Rourke. Yeah, I want to win as a HC especially at the CFL level. But I wouldn't want to be the  head coach who wrecked his career. 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

fwiw - 

Rourke will be in the NFL in about 3 months.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Err on the side of caution with Rourke. Yeah, I want to win as a HC especially at the CFL level. But I wouldn't want to be the  head coach who wrecked his career. 

Me neither, not sure Campbell is of the same opinion though.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Being that job 1 of any coach is winning, everything else has to be secondary to that.  So if Campbell thinks that his best chance of winnig is Rourke, he'd be silly not to play him. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I think in @GCn20's suggestion about platooning QBs... Rourke = Collaros and VAJ = Streveller... both significant downgrades (with Rourke's injury)

Edited by bearpants

27 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Being that job 1 of any coach is winning, everything else has to be secondary to that.  So if Campbell thinks that his best chance of winnig is Rourke, he'd be silly not to play him. 

Agreed but if it backfires & he reinjures his foot all fingers will be pointing to the medical staff & Campbell. It's a significant risk.