Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

The sports reporters are in a rut and are going with the status quo. I suppose a little laziness sneaks in too..

Easier for them to just show up and listen to what the coach has to say post practise and regurgitate his quotes than to actually write their own opinions on what they might see, or god forbid watch practise and ask some relevant questions afterwards. Instead they take the easy way out, who's hurt, coaches thoughts on mundane things, bang out their article for the day. Really a damned shame. 

I have a breaking report. The team is planning which players to take to Regina for the game Saturday. A roster will be released by Friday.  Look for all 4 QBs to play. Sam Hurl will get reps at MLB and numerous Bomber fans will be pissed off. Multiple players will audition for the returner job. If the Riders win, their fans will flood message boards to talk about how the Jones Plan is coming to fruition.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

This year's coverage rivals that of yesteryears but I'm not going to pick on Tait. This year he's got a different slant on the Bombers and he writes excellent articles which help fill a more long term coverage.

What we're missing, and sorely in need of, is the day-to-day doses that we crave.

Where are the comparisons on receivers and who's catching what and looking real smart in doing so?

How are the D-linemen looking? The O-line guys in feeding them off?

Kick returners? Who's doing it?

Aside from the incumbents, who's running wild?

Speaking of Wild, is he being challenged? 

What kind of workouts are happening in day 2? Day 3?

What kind of throws are those QBs making? Are they looking sharp? Or not?

Opinions count. So who are the leading contenders? Who's faltering?

What about the draft picks? The heralded ones? The unheralded?

I think these guys who cover the Bombers have a good idea what is going to happen each day of TC from the briefings, and yet, that's all we get...brief reports..if any.

Do we miss Lawless that much? No. He didn't come though much either.

The sports reporters are in a rut and are going with the status quo. I suppose a little laziness sneaks in too..

wasnt it last year they talked about how all of them were treating it like a get together, hardly any one watching what was going on playing on phones etc and wanted to do better? I remember bob talking about it for sure. I wish tsn1290 would have westy n walby do TC reports.

I haven't read a word about Thomas Miles performance at MLB this camp, instead we get "human interest" stories like this.

Miles uses voice away from gridiron

You don't find many linebackers auditioning for the role of an extra in an opera.

But Winnipeg Blue Bombers newcomer – and Winnipegger – Thomas Miles has been using his voice for something other than trash talking opponents during his spare time.

“I'd like to sing in an opera eventually,” said Miles, a linebacker with the Blue Bombers who signed on March 6 after he was released by the Toronto Argonauts. “I've been an extra in operas. They call them supernumeries. I've been in four of them. It started when I was at U of M. They were looking for guys to be soldiers in the production of Aida. I thought it could be fun.”

Miles didn't have a background in the performing arts, but his passion for them has grown immensely over the past few years.

“This was my first introduction and the centennial concert sells out and it's a blast,” said Miles. “It's intense. You see the glints off the spectacles. It was cool though. In Aida, we had a stage built up, we were 20 feet in the air, marching around with shields and swords. It was a riot.

“(Blue Bombers linebacker) Moe (Leggett) is doing voice lessons right now and I want to get into it too. I would love to be in the chorus at some point. That's the goal.”

kwiebe@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/WiebeSunSports 

I assume the local media don't speak about who is looking good and bad mainly because the local media has no idea whether a guy is playing good or bad.   What would be really really nice is if the local media can send maybe some former Blue Bomber players and/or football coaches who are still around town to take a look at camp and give their feedback since they would have a much better eye.   

As for Jeff Hamilton,  wasn't he covering on 1290 last week?

42 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I assume the local media don't speak about who is looking good and bad mainly because the local media has no idea whether a guy is playing good or bad.   What would be really really nice is if the local media can send maybe some former Blue Bomber players and/or football coaches who are still around town to take a look at camp and give their feedback since they would have a much better eye.   

As for Jeff Hamilton,  wasn't he covering on 1290 last week?

Get Addison Richards to do it

Bombers picked up 6'3", 230 lbs receiver Dan Williams out of Jackson State.  He signed with the Raiders shortly after this year's draft but was released.

Bombers also released Canadian 2015 sixth round pick Justin Warden.

EDIT: OK never mind this is in the Around the League discussion thread.

Edited by Atomic
stupid thread organization system is trash

40 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Out indefinitely with carpal tunnel syndrome after writing his first sentence.

I thought carpal tunnel syndrome had to do with finding a fish in the passage from the dressing room to the field and being traumatized by it.

Quick update from camp - went Monday and Tuesday.

I missed the first half Monday, and so the last hour and a bit I saw was all special teams. Walked over and watched the OL practice but nothing too noteworthy. 

Tuesday was a lot more fun from a fan perspective. Chris Randle had a really nice interception early on against the offense. I will say that in camp this year the defense seems extremely vocal, in a good way. Lots of coaching between each other and just a lot of fun too. Leggett can be heard just talking a bunch, at one point yesterday he was literally barking for a few minutes. Heard Randle walking the sidelines too.

Shayon Green spent some time on the sideline with Jamal Westerman working on hand technique. 

Defensive tackles got to practice hand swipes and rips against the anchored tackle dummy. Ekakitie got some ribbing when he was the only one who didn't flip it completely on its side. Needed to get his hand under the armpit more, which the coaches pointed out. 

As for the QBs, I thought Lefevour looked erratic. Overthrew several balls and one in the turf. Nichols looked pretty good. Davis didn't stand out one way or the other. Apodaca had very limited reps- mostly hand offs and I only saw one short throw from him. 

And just in general, I really like our coaching staff. I like how they coach in practice and how they interact with the players. Different vibe than say, Doug Berry in the golf cart. 

?‍?I bet you Keith Price (QB prospect BC Lions) won't be with the Lions for very long..

DB Chris Greenwood forces a fumble as he returns from missing the majority of camp. Big week ahead for the second year player. #Bombers

CFL News

A father & his young son were at #Argos practice on Tuesday, making the trek from Indiana. Why? - @tsnmikehogan #CFL via @TorontoArgos 1/2

They fell in love w/ uniqueness of #CFL after watching it on ESPN. Wanted to see a game live, so they made journey north - @tsnmikehogan 2/2

- Drew Tate: Never been in an offence like Ottawa's tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1… #CFL #Redblacks via @tsn1200

3downnation 

Longshot?: The Calgary barn may have only been half-full – odd for a game that wasn’t televised – but it was enough to draw talent evaluators ranging from Craig Smith (Winnipeg) to Hamilton GM Eric Tillman.

Darrin Bauming - The defence is winning the day at #Bombers camp. Pick party — Smalley, Goodman, Porter.

- Six interceptions as the #Bombers work heavy in 12-on-12 team reps today. @TjHeath34 with a pair, and Tahaan Goodman with two as well.

Jeff Hamilton

Kevin Fogg, who hasn't practised all training camp, is doing sprints from one side to the next. Had lower-body surgery in the off-season.

?‍? Now we know the answer to how McLoed Bethel-Thompson ended up an Argo...

3downnation

Toronto announced the signing of quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson on May 22, days before training camp opened. Behind the scenes, general manager Jim Popp orchestrated a neg list swap for the 28-year-old pivot, sending Ball State defensive back Eric Patterson to Winnipeg for the rights to Bethel-Thompson.

Caught the last hour or so today, defence had a couple picks (didn't have a program so I don't know who made it) guys said they had 3 or 4 today. Defence looking good, Denmark and Dressler made some nice grabs but defence usually there pretty quick to contest. Nichols was the best qb that I saw, looks like lefevour took some style lessons from Ricky ray, shaved head and big ears, great look. Davis is fast and might be a competition between he and the other two to play some goal line snaps. Leggett was on the field but not in pads, he's tough, I'm guessing he'll be out there week one. 

Edited by Gotmilt

16 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Caught the last hour or so today, defence had a couple picks (didn't have a program so I don't know who made it) guys said they had 3 or 4 today. Defence looking good, Denmark and Dressler made some nice grabs but defence usually there pretty quick to contest. Nichols was the best qb that I saw, looks like lefevour took some style lessons from Ricky ray, shaved head and big ears, great look. Davis is fast and might be a competition between he and the other two to play some goal line snaps. Leggett was on the field but not in pads, he's tough, I'm guessing he'll be out there week one. 

Which QB was throwing the intercepts?

Can confirm Darrin Bauming looks like the only reporter actually watching any practice, has a guy on a laptop taking notes I believe.

Bob Irving showed up at the very end at the same time as Sara Orlesky for interviews.

Edited by Gotmilt