Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I just don't see how the OL could possibly get worse, with a whole year together, and now going into another season with the same personnel. Consistency/Familiarity is the #1 thing for an OL, so it just makes sense that they're going to get better and better. And it's not like the coaching is all new....last year's Asst OL coach just got bumped up a notch.

There aren't many drills that don't heavily favour DL in camp.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There aren't many drills that don't heavily favour DL in camp.

in the 4 v 5 (DL vs OL) drills i watch yesterday,  for the most part our OL was doing a good job keeping the DL contained,  especially at the tackle positions. Only one that really stood out tho busting through almost every time was Nevis, that's why he was an easy one to point out

10 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I expect really good things from the D-line this season. Westerman and Okpalaugo on the ends has me all kinds of giddy.

The amount our DL has improved is massive. Both ends, nevis, interior depth and corney is only gonna get better with time and reps. If we dont have a top 2-3 quality DL in the league this year some thing has gone horribly wrong. While our LB core will probably be less talented, its better fit and use should be an over all upgrade too. Front 7 should be real good this year. Temple/knox/?? should look an awful lot better at MLB behind this DL then what we saw last year. 

* obviously we didnt add westerman, i mean now having 2 prominent rush ends. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 minutes ago, rex said:

Any news on what is wrong with loffler?  I saw a report from training camp saying he was one of the "wounded" and not participing today. 

none of the training camp reports have a reason why, he was on the sidelines tossing the ball around though yesterday,  and was practicing for the first few days, maybe it's just giving him a break while they look at some others

On 2017-5-28 at 4:49 PM, BBlink said:

If I had to pick 1 new import receiver to make the team right now I'd say it would be Duncan. He has burned many DBs and makes the catches look easy. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table as a returner

Duncan released today. First import receiver released? Either way, sorry Duncan.

CFL News

Denmark: "Show me someone who has been as consistent as I have" - @Wpg_BlueBombers bluebombers.com/2017/06/01/den… #CFL #Bombers

?‍?Probably why Bomber players have a lot of respect for Matt Nichols...

Quote from Andrew Harris:

"He came in there and said, ‘I don’t know how it’s going to go, it may not always be pretty but I can promise you one thing: I’m going to be tough for you guys and I’m going to give it my all,’ " Bombers running back Andrew Harris recalled. "Sometimes guys say things and they can be all rah, rah but when he said that you could feel it, you knew it was genuine.

"We believed in him and that game we were a completely different offence."

"People see Matt at a practice or in a game but it starts in the classroom," added Bombers receiver Darvin Adams. "He speaks his mind, he lets us know where he wants us to be and wants to know what we’re thinking on plays. He is like another coach who is always looking to improve."

"I think there’s more to it, more to add," said Bombers coach Mike O’Shea. "As time goes on, there will be more and more things to be impressed with." - Jeff Hamilton - Winnipeg Free Press

MOS on Roberson:

He’s competing for a spot," head coach Mike O’Shea said. "What has he done? Everything we’ve asked him to do. He knows his plays inside and out. He runs hard in special-teams drills. He’s right up there, active, doing everything we’ve asked him to do. Seems to catch the ball well. Protects well. He’s certainly a real nice piece to have in there competing."

On Dressler:

Did you see him get behind the coverage today?" said O’Shea. "He’s fast, he’s still fast, he’s so fast. He’s quick, he’s so smart. I wasn’t on staff when he first came into this league but he’s still a good football player, he’s a good professional and he’s a damn good athlete. I don’t know that we should be saying ‘still,’ he is, he is. When won’t he be? I don’t know. He seems to love it."

Jermarcus Hendrick  It's June! #Cfl

"I'm in a good environment, good organization, good offence, around good people, playing some good football. I'm very very happy." - Kenny Stafford

Full video ▶️ | http://ow.ly/eWYu30ch43E

Mike O'Shea

"(John Rush) is tough and he's crafty. He just gets the game."

"I want guys on this team to have that experience." - What motivates Weston Dressler? Getting a championship for his teammates.

Darrin Bauming

Cut by the Dallas Cowboys recently, Quincy McDuffie is free to sign with any team in either league.

EDITWoods, who was last year's East Division defensive MVP, is reportedly mulling over deal with Argos. #Bombers happy with current core.

IMG_0415.jpg

Edited by Mr Dee
Addition

"I'm in a good environment, good organization, good offence, around good people, playing some good football. I'm very very happy." - Kenny Stafford

After being tire fire organization for so many years it's great to see players being impressed with our organization. The best teams year after year are the teams with a good stable organization. We've built a good core here in Winnipeg.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/03/sanchez-bc-lions-will-best-secondary-2017/

Who will have the best secondary in the league, bc, calgary, or hamilton.... :rolleyes::lol:

I heard someone on the radio questioning whether the Bombers could improve their secondary yesterday and that it was a weakness. This was an analyst. 

Am I taking crazy pills? This seems like one of  the Bombers strongest assets. 

Bombers D had a lot of takeaways last year but they also gave up gobs and gobs of passing yards, the most in the league by a fair margin.  Though we were middle-of-the-pack in points allowed. Bend, don't break.

This is the thing that has me wondering if we're headed for a 2012ish letdown ... in 2011, just like 2016, we made a ton of lucky plays on D but when our luck ran out in 2012, it wasn't pretty...

Edited by johnzo

4 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Bombers D had a lot of takeaways last year but they also gave up gobs and gobs of passing yards, the most in the league by a fair margin.  Though we were middle-of-the-pack in points allowed. Bend, don't break.

This is the thing that has me wondering if we're headed for a 2012ish letdown ... in 2011, just like 2016, we made a ton of lucky plays on D but when our luck ran out in 2012, it wasn't pretty...

I get where you're coming from but I thought that our dline and LBs were the weakness. 

I'm hoping for a 1990 sort of season and not a 2012. 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

There were a lot of other problems in 2012.  Lapo lost control of the offence to Crowton.  Both our starting tackles got injured and the "depth" behind them was terrible.  We had multiple injuries in the secondary which in addition to cutting Clint Kent really brought us down.  Joe Lobendahn was released after being a key part of the 7-1 run in 2011.  Buck got injured and our backups couldn't cut it.  Just a disaster all around.  I don't see the same lack of player depth and turmoil in the coaching staff this year.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I heard someone on the radio questioning whether the Bombers could improve their secondary yesterday and that it was a weakness. This was an analyst. 

Am I taking crazy pills? This seems like one of  the Bombers strongest assets. 

Easily the strength of the team. I wouldnt replace any of our starting secondary. I like fogg as the extra DB, but roc could take a job.

If you look at it on paper, the bend but dont break thing makes it look soft. But when you watch the games and factor in the amount of take aways that came from the secondary and how many of our points that set up its a no doubter. 

41 minutes ago, Atomic said:

There were a lot of other problems in 2012.  Lapo lost control of the offence to Crowton.  Both our starting tackles got injured and the "depth" behind them was terrible.  We had multiple injuries in the secondary which in addition to cutting Clint Kent really brought us down.  Joe Lobendahn was released after being a key part of the 7-1 run in 2011.  Buck got injured and our backups couldn't cut it.  Just a disaster all around.  I don't see the same lack of player depth and turmoil in the coaching staff this year.

agree 100% on the 2012 team. That style of agressive play that paid off in 2011 is also hard to sustain. But this D is the opposite of that. Our turn overs werent crazy bounces for the most part. It was a product of loose coverage and great play makers. They were able to really play to either make a tackle. PKD, or pick. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

is there no rookie diary this year? I just remembered, was really hoping faith would do one this year. 

I think now that they have Ed, they're letting him take care of all the media. There's usually a player profile to begin each TC update.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I think now that they have Ed, they're letting him take care of all the media. There's usually a player profile to begin each TC update.

But Corney did one last year (while Tait was also there).....