Lawless says there is trade market for Willy

Mike

1 hour ago, White Out said:

Who's doing that?

"  Willy did himself no favours and is absolutely as much to blame for him getting knocked around as our line.  "

Go ahead. Read what I wrote for yourself. I realize that you have your dander up but take it down a notch. If you put Willy in the Bombers scheme right now there's no reason to think he'd suddenly start reading D's better. Does improved O line play mean he won't lock on to his 1st read for way too long? Get caught like a deer in headlights under pressure?

As far as your assertion that if it was Willy in yesterday I'd be calling for him to get out of town, I don't know how I can win that argument. You're attacking a  position that not only I haven't taken,  but, also suggesting that I'd want to run a QB out of town who's winning. I think you have to try and divorce what you think I feel about Willy and what I actually feel about him. Look at MOS. I hated the guy and was sick of his stupid smirking and his relentless Willy starting. At this point I'd be in complete support of extending him. Why? My opinions are malleable; results matter. I always thought Willy and MOS both were good guys who were obviously well liked (albeit I still think Willy might be a little below average IQ compared to other CFL qbs). If Willy came back in and was winning for us, I would be thrilled. I'm ok with being wrong, and it would seem that once MOS has come to the same conclusion I did, that Nichols is a better option, he's running a very solid football team. I support him fully. It's ok to be wrong and I was about MOS. I would suggest that you (and others who think Willy should get another try) reflect on your opinions and ask yourself this "do I really think Willy is a good qb or do I just not want to be wrong?"

Dont take it personally, just food for thought.

But you keep bringing up the wins like it matters so you are putting it all on the qb whether you believe you are or not. Nichols is essentially doing the same things now Willy was. Difference is the team specifically the defense has picked up it's game a ton. Willy won when they forced a ton of turn overs too. Don't even get into the intake either. Nichols has had several poor throws dropped and even on labour day could have lost on a poor throw that they called a soft PI on. Your hate for Willy really blinds you on this topic.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

3 dropped interceptions from the 3 interceptions they dropped.  A dig to Mcduffie in the first that was way in front of him and right into the DBs lap, a pick six if he didn't drop it.  Two deflections by DL that were up for grabs and easily could have been picked.

It's a pretty big stretch to call those deflected balls dropped interceptions. 

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Very true... that team was winning with great defence and an offence that was unspectacular but didn't turn the ball over.  Inevitably that offence started turning the ball over more and the wins were harder to come by.  The test of this team will be if Nichols can keep playing turnover-free football and whether the defence and special teams can bail him out if he slips a little bit.

Play calling to kick field goals.  Lapo drives me nuts.  There was a 2nd and long where he explicitly called a one read play for a 5 yard out to set up a 45+ yard attempt.

Not going to fly when you play teams that can score 3 touchdowns in a quarter without blinking.  

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But you keep bringing up the wins like it matters so you are putting it all on the qb whether you believe you are or not. Nichols is essentially doing the same things now Willy was. Difference is the team specifically the defense has picked up it's game a ton. Willy won when they forced a ton of turn overs too. Don't even get into the intake either. Nichols has had several poor throws dropped and even on labour day could have lost on a poor throw that they called a soft PI on. Your hate for Willy really blinds you on this topic.

And this is th  flaw in your argument. He is doing things better, and differently. He's engineering scoring drives when we need them. He's not turning the ball over. And he's making faster reads which means teams can't just blitz over and over again without consequences. 

You're just wrong. 

Have fun arguing guys. You're both champs at it. Nichols imo is doing a lot of things better than Willy was, such as hitting his deep targets and beating blitzes with greater frequency. Yes, that can be partially attributed to a revamped oline but Nichols still has to execute, and often does. Unfortunately his receivers (mostly 'second starters') have dropped a few TDs and that hurts his bottom line. However, he's seen defenses drop sure INTs after some bad decisions, and that helps his bottom line as well as our current win streak. There are a lot of moving parts on this team that are aiding our winning streak, but Nichols touches the ball on every offensive play and then some. He's a major player in this turnaround.

As a team they are dealing with the blitz better.  They are running the ball effectively which causes teams to back off and defend the field.  They are blocking both the OL actually doing their job and guys like Normand and Sheppard playing bigger roles.

Now they have to figure out how to convert 2nd downs.  First down production is really good.  I'd like to see the pocket move a bit and see less throws that cover a ton of field laterally, lower the degree of difficulty a touch and give Nichols more options in a route.

Nichols is playing way better then Willy,  I don't care if Willy had a reason to be scared and jumpy in the pocket.   

Anyone who watches the game can see that he makes much quicker decisions and his passes are accurate and rarely are uncatchable by the receiver.

Go back and watch old games of Brink and Goltz and watch them skip balls to the receiver ,   this and last season Willy was floating them off the mark and/or putting it right into traffic where defenders can make the play.   

Even local homer fan boy Matt D was impressed by how Nichols was able to drop a pass beautifully into the arms of Dressler while 3 DB's closed in. 

If you want to point a finger on the lack of TD's... point them to dropped passes and horrible play calls by LaPolice.  

I complained about it in the chat and in the GDT.... when we are 2nd and 8 ....  Lapo will call a 4 yard curl pass and hope that the receiver shakes the defender.    When are and 2nd and 4....  he calls a screen pass where the receiver catches the ball at the line of scrimmage.    When we play against a weak secondary (like Saskatchewan)...  he rarely calls the mid - deep passing plays.    It's frustrating to watch.     When I watched Calgary last night when they were 2nd and long.... they would call plays where the receivers catch the ball over the first down line....  

Nichols might be the QB Lapo wants, he who makes quick decisions and good reads.  Willy may have more tools on paper.  And Id like to see him play on this team now, show what he's got.  But the coaches and management see him every day.  If they cut him or trade him its because they don't feel he can be better for this team than Nichols.  

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nichols might be the QB Lapo wants, he who makes quick decisions and good reads.  Willy may have more tools on paper.  And Id like to see him play on this team now, show what he's got.  But the coaches and management see him every day.  If they cut him or trade him its because they don't feel he can be better for this team than Nichols.  

It think that judgment has already been made. one for five this year and overall .36 in his Bomber career.

Football is a team game and you need all three areas clicking to be a consistent winner, and not having to rely on an aspect of a team "trying" to do too much to make up for an area that is weak.

Right now are defence is playing great...teams are pretty much best in the league and the offence is doing what it needs to win and not taking unnecessary chances in doing so. Whats the problem with that. The offence can get better and more explosive, and I sure it will. Especially if we can find a bigger bodied receiver with speed and hands, have an inkling too we will be landing one soon which will really open up things for the run game, Dressler and others.

I would much rather have this stretch of wins coming they way they have with strong defence and special teams and adequate offence as opposed to high scoring shoot outs, especially when the season gets into the late fall and the defences really dig in due to the weather...that's when we will really see the impact this defence can win in generating wins. This is the type of team that can win championships...lights out on special teams and vicious ball hawking defence and offence that rarely makes mistakes and does whats needed to win...which is exactly what is going on right now.

Getting back to Lawless says there is a trade market for Willy ............

Gurley for Willy has a nice ring to it. :)

EDIT: 'Cept LeFevour got a win for the Argos and despite a couple of picks looks pretty good. Guessing any trade talk for Willy to TO will cool a bit now.

2nd Edit: Willy traded!

Edited by Doublezero

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But... you can't compare Nichols quick release to Willy's. Nichols gets rid of the ball quickly while Willy holds on to the ball too long & gets killed. There's an expression coaching qbs... "Trust your eyes". If you see it's open then throw it. Willy's problem is he doesn't trust his eyes. He sees open receivers but he hesitates. The tight window opens & closes fast in pro football. It's there & then it's gone. That's the difference between the 2.  Willy has to overcome those doubts, trust what he sees & throw the ball. If he doesn't then his career as a player may be coming to an end.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

But... you can't compare Nichols quick release to Willy's. Nichols gets rid of the ball quickly while Willy holds on to the ball too long & gets killed. There's an expression coaching qbs... "Trust your eyes". If you see it's open then throw it. Willy's problem is he doesn't trust his eyes. He sees open receivers but he hesitates. The tight window opens & closes fast in pro football. It's there & then it's gone. That's the difference between the 2.  Willy has to overcome those doubts, trust what he sees & throw the ball. If he doesn't then his career as a player may be coming to an end.

Posted this a few minutes before I heard about the trade. But still valid. Maybe AC can get more out of Willy than LaPo  & Buck could here.

2 hours ago, White Out said:

The debate will be finally solved. Willy will be given a chance to start in Toronto and I predict mediocre results. 

Oh yeah a team that got a hall of famer qb in Ray hurt because they couldn't protect him and made him look ordinary is going to prove a lot. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh yeah a team that got a hall of famer qb in Ray hurt because they couldn't protect him and made him look ordinary is going to prove a lot. 

The guy is a professional football player. He has to prove himself no matter where he plays. He has to have the ability to play well no matter who is surrounding him. I don't feel badly for him because he has to play on an average team.