Lawless says there is trade market for Willy

Mike

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Ever since Dunk has appeared on the scene, he has made it apparent that he has good sources, backs up his writing with facts and has gained the trust and even accolades for his reporting. (see the Pedersen attack and defence of Dunk by other writers)

I would tend to believe in this article, especially since it's so detailed. 

This is good news for the Bombers and backs up the fact that Walters has a good handle on the SMS, as proven in the past.

How did that previous figure come about? That doesn't matter. It's what usually happens when you repeat something over and over. It tends to be taken as the truth. So many people repeated it, and some even questioned it repeatedly. 

Tell any story enough times and it will cease to be conjecture, and morph into reality.

#PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

If Dunk is correct, he says Bombers are likely to pay the most in the league compared with other clubs - $606k - for our 1-2 QB duo.

Folks have been throwing shade on Nichols for supposed lack of red zone production, and yet, over the span of games that Willy started since 2014, Bombers scored something like throwing 23 TDs. That's somewhere north of $30,000 per touchdown if his previous base packages were as reported.

No idea what Justin Medlock is paid, could it be around $200k? Whatever it is, he looks like an absolute bargain.

So our clipboard holder isn't over paid....lol ..What's the old saying..Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure...Not saying someone was floating a bunch of bull$hit initially about Drews contract but Dunk seems to put a whole new light on the facts...IF this last revelation is fact by Dunk we definitely can afford to keep Willy and finish the year with him and Nichols as our no 1 and 2...Kind of puts a kibosh on any trade talks for sure unless someone wants to give us a really sweet deal...Looks like Walters has had a handle on this from the get go...Nice.

I'm not sure exactly how performance based bonuses work in the CFL, but if it's like the NFL performance based bonuses can be deferred to the following seasons salary cap depending on risk assessment on whether the bonus is likely to be achieved or not. So if Nichols or Willy were to play lights out and earn all their possible incentives the cap hit this year could be limited. Curious to hear if that's the case with these numbers. Excellent report from Dunk though, 3downnation is quickly becoming the best CFL news resource out there.

That article by Dunk was awesome.

But one question, if we're having these issues with Nichols, how was the Trevor Harris contract structured? I haven't heard a single thing about Ottawa potentially have these issues, but you would think it would be a bigger deal over there considering that Burris and Harris have higher base salaries than Willy and Nichols respectively.

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

That article by Dunk was awesome.

But one question, if we're having these issues with Nichols, how was the Trevor Harris contract structured? I haven't heard a single thing about Ottawa potentially have these issues, but you would think it would be a bigger deal over there considering that Burris and Harris have higher base salaries than Willy and Nichols respectively.

I think the difference was that Ottawa went into the season knowing they would be paying both Harris and Burris so they would structure the rest of their contracts around that.

The assumption in Winnipeg was that if Nichols was playing a significant amount of games to get his bonuses, it would probably be because Willy was hurt and his salary would be on the IR, therefore the additional salary wouldn't matter since Willy's salary would be off the cap.

13 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Harris is getting a big raise in base next season from what I have heard. Burris is taking a cut.

do you think hank would sit on the bench next year for harris? I have trouble seeing that, but maybe he holds out hope for a chance to get in at some point. 

7 hours ago, yogi said:

I'm not sure exactly how performance based bonuses work in the CFL, but if it's like the NFL performance based bonuses can be deferred to the following seasons salary cap depending on risk assessment on whether the bonus is likely to be achieved or not. So if Nichols or Willy were to play lights out and earn all their possible incentives the cap hit this year could be limited. Curious to hear if that's the case with these numbers. Excellent report from Dunk though, 3downnation is quickly becoming the best CFL news resource out there.

yogi what in the blue hell are you talking about

10 hours ago, Blitzy said:

Please excuse my ignorance but where would Dunk get these numbers, are these 100% real? Not saying he's making them up or anything like that just curious.

Walters and Willy were both probably sick of reading and hearing about how overpaid Drew was as a backup.... this information takes some pressure off the team and Drew. I read about it frequently in the Drew Willy discussions.

so, I will go ahead and guess it came from the team.

might be embarrassing for the other Bomber reporters.

Edited by Mark F

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

yogi what in the blue hell are you talking about

Performance based bonus' add a variable to the accounting. You need to have cap room available when a player hits them, but if the player is not expected to hit an incentive, you don't want to hold cap space in reserve just in case the player exceeds expectations and wins MOP or has league topping stats. So you structure bonus' to be paid out at a later date so they count against the next years salary cap. Not sure if this is how it works in the CFL, but it is in the NFL. 

edit: rereading my posts, it kind of comes off that I think I know what I'm talking about. I want to make it clear I have no idea what I'm talking about. That post was supposed to be a question.

Edited by yogi

4 minutes ago, yogi said:

Performance based bonus' add a variable to the accounting. You need to have cap room available when a player hits them, but if the player is not expected to hit an incentive, you don't want to hold cap space in reserve just in case the player exceeds expectations and wins MOP or has league topping stats. So you structure bonus' to be paid out at a later date so they count against the next years salary cap. Not sure if this is how it works in the CFL, but it is in the NFL. 

Do you have any diagrams or charts?  This doesn't add up at all

It's how it works in the NHL as well. Chicago towards the end of this last season was looking at Panarin earning big bonus', and any amount that puts them over the current seasons cap is reduced from the following seasons cap, which in the NHL they have to be compliant with to start the next season. Like others, have no idea how this plays out in the CFL

On 8/30/2016 at 11:26 PM, Ripper said:

The Bombers would bring Durant in as a backup??  Ok, not much sense discussing this with you any further. The Bombers would be scary this year with doubles at the helm. Your ultimate undoing this year will be not having a qb. BC also sitting with a good team and no legit QB. Durant also would be awesome there. Anyway, I`ll respect your opinion even though I strongly disagree with it.

Durant in his prime wasn't that good especially when compared to QBs like Ricky Ray when he was in his prime. Durant's success has come from the fact that he could run the ball and was surrounded by a good team and especially a good Oline. A great QB can carry a team and Durant is carrying his team to a 1-9 record so far. But he is well past his prime and has blown out an elbow and an achiles recently so what do you expect? Darian Durant is a good player past his prime but never was a great one. I'd describe him as mediocre.

In his prime and when he's on even these days... Durant is very good. In his prime I'd have him behind Ray Calvillo and possibly Burris altho it's close there. Now? He's probably closer to the bottom than he is to the top. He's a good QB still but he's just not as good as he once was. Just like Ray. It's not like the riders O is the issue tho... it isn't.  They tend to put up points... their D sure sucks tho. Hmm then again in 10 games they have scored 195 points so... Ya.  Maybe their O isn't that great either 

Edited by Goalie