Lawless says there is trade market for Willy

Mike

This changes everything.

This is why Dunk is the man - this is some incredible reporting. And it goes to show that maybe all of us should keep in mind that things are never as straight forward as they seem. Those contract details are VERY detailed.

The one thing I'm confused about is that it doesn't seem like Willy could've made 400k this year. How has this been reported all along?

And there we have it....we can (likely) afford to keep them both. So unless there are REALLY  good offer coming in, we keep them both. I like incentive-based contracts, it's a win win for everyone. And never mind, if Nicholls gets hurt do they have the faith in Davis to step in?? Don't think so.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

This changes everything.

This is why Dunk is the man - this is some incredible reporting. And it goes to show that maybe all of us should keep in mind that things are never as straight forward as they seem. Those contract details are VERY detailed.

The one thing I'm confused about is that it doesn't seem like Willy could've made 400k this year. How has this been reported all along?

Assuming Dunk's numbers are right, I'd keep Willy around for the rest of the year. 

I do wonder how he got his numbers and breakdown, why everyone one else has reported different numbers, and why there is so much bonus money considering this contract was supposed to be more base, less bonuses.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Assuming Dunk's numbers are right, I'd keep Willy around for the rest of the year. 

I do wonder how he got his numbers and breakdown, why everyone one else has reported different numbers, and why there is so much bonus money considering this contract was supposed to be more base, less bonuses.

Dunk's numbers are detailed enough and his reputation is strong enough that I would trust them 99.9999999%

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dunk's numbers are detailed enough and his reputation is strong enough that I would trust them 99.9999999%

I 100% believe that Dunk believes his numbers are accurate. He wouldn't publish them if he didn't. They are as good as the source that gave them to him in the first place. Leaked by the Bombers to diffuse the $400K backup QB argument?

Questions remain tho. Who is the source? How did everyone else who also have sources get it so wrong?

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

This changes everything.

Interesting that if Willy had started every game, he would make 311k, exactly 100k less than what Penton reported.  What are we missing here?

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I 100% believe that Dunk believes his numbers are accurate. He wouldn't publish them if he didn't. They are as good as the source that gave them to him in the first place. Leaked by the Bombers to diffuse the $400K backup QB argument?

Questions remain tho. Who is the source? How did everyone else who also have sources get it so wrong?

Dunk definitely has a league source - doubt this came from the Bombers.

This article here from TSN lists all of the QB salaries http://www.tsn.ca/eskimos-sign-qb-reilly-to-contract-extension-1.471943 and it has Willy making 410k base with no bonuses.

They cite their source as Loonie Cap   http://www.looniecap.com/

First time I've visited / heard of Loonie Cap.  It is a weird site, it looks like they simply publish Excel spreadsheets.    Under the Source column for Willy's contract, it says Y (as opposed to blank), but they don't disclose who or what the source is.

I find it hard to believe Willy's 400k salary would be all base with no performance bonus.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

This article here from TSN lists all of the QB salaries http://www.tsn.ca/eskimos-sign-qb-reilly-to-contract-extension-1.471943 and it has Willy making 410k base with no bonuses.

They cite their source as Loonie Cap   http://www.looniecap.com/

First time I've visited / heard of Loonie Cap.  It is a weird site, it looks like they simply publish Excel spreadsheets.    Under the Source column for Willy's contract, it says Y (as opposed to blank), but they don't disclose who or what the source is.

I find it hard to believe Willy's 400k salary would be all base with no performance bonus.

It's not the first time I've heard of that site, but if TSN is using it as a valid source, give me a break. That site is a joke.

When Bombers renegotiated with Willy last year, Kirk Penton reported (quoting sources) that Willy's salary for 2016 would be $410,000 for this season including performance incentives. http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/05/01/bombers-sign-qb-willy-to-extension

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Bombers clear the air for everyone and trade Willy - but seems the base pay package might not be a barrier for another club to pick him up.

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

When Bombers renegotiated with Willy last year, Kirk Penton reported (quoting sources) that Willy's salary for 2016 would be $410,000 for this season including performance incentives. http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/05/01/bombers-sign-qb-willy-to-extension

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Bombers clear the air for everyone and trade Willy - but seems the base pay package might not be a barrier for another club to pick him up.

And Dunk (who I believe over Penton easily) has quoted 361k if he hits EVERY single incentive, including 30k for winning league MOP.

Ever since Dunk has appeared on the scene, he has made it apparent that he has good sources, backs up his writing with facts and has gained the trust and even accolades for his reporting. (see the Pedersen attack and defence of Dunk by other writers)

I would tend to believe in this article, especially since it's so detailed. 

This is good news for the Bombers and backs up the fact that Walters has a good handle on the SMS, as proven in the past.

How did that previous figure come about? That doesn't matter. It's what usually happens when you repeat something over and over. It tends to be taken as the truth. So many people repeated it, and some even questioned it repeatedly. 

Tell any story enough times and it will cease to be conjecture, and morph into reality.