2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hall is indeed an amazing asset to have around, as long as it isn’t a pure hall d branded as a jy d. But I don’t think that’ll be it. Hall has always been a strong collaborator, as he talks about with buck. 
 He’s also just one of the best people in the league. I hope his health holds up and he can continue to fulfill a support role for a good while longer. 

I think jy will continue to play a coverage that’s off WRs and emphasizes staying in the back peddle as long as possible before making a break and a play on the ball/wr. I suspect we will see smaller cushions giving guys more of a chance of making a play, and I think we will see less mlb blitzes into a gap, and more “exotic” blitzes designed to get pressure for the guy rushing. 
 I wonder how jy and mos will look at the dl. In the past couple years we’ve seen great success with nose tackles, cheetah fronts, and the 30 front. The dt and de has been really bust with out sayles. Going to be interesting to see. I could see him really opening up things for kyrie too. 

Where does 8 years as a dc rank for the bombers? I feel like that’s got to be high on the all time list. 

Surprise delight in my newsfeed today! Had to make an offseason visit to this old internet haunt to chat shop.

What a pleasant twist to the club's strategy, promoting promising talents from within. I'm eagerly anticipating a similar upbeat vibe in the roster management this offseason, ushering in young blood to revitalize the starting lineup and bid farewell to the old spoiled milk. I'm ready for a wave of youthful energy at IG Field next season!

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Surprise delight in my newsfeed today! Had to make an offseason visit to this old internet haunt to chat shop.

What a pleasant twist to the club's strategy, promoting promising talents from within. I'm eagerly anticipating a similar upbeat vibe in the roster management this offseason, ushering in young blood to revitalize the starting lineup and bid farewell to the old spoiled milk. I'm ready for a wave of youthful energy at IG Field next season!

Chatgpt is back!

I kid. Love you.

This is good work by Osh.

Special teams were a problem this year. Hopefully Miller can straighten out coverages better. 

I appreciate that they had a succession plan in place for Younger. I didn't want to lose him, but I respect the heck out of Richie Hall too. We don't have the Cup rings if his defense doesn't step up. Honestly feel like he was consistently underappreciated.

Two new coordinators will definitely bring a different vibe next year even if both were with the team for a while. 

The only way I can see this making us better for next year is that Osh is essentially going to take over the ST duties and mentor Mike Miller on the finer aspects of coaching.

JY switching roles with Hall is likely not going to make us better. But it will keep us better for the long run.

3 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

I don't think you switch out older vets for younger players unless there's a valid reason to do so. Like the older player is making too much money. Or the older player's aren't performing anymore & there are guys ready to take their place. Replacing just for replacement sake gets a team a one way ticket to last place.

Happy for Jordan Younger as he finally gets to be DC for a Grey Cup contending team. He knows the personnel & I'm hoping he may want to do some things differently. Like making the secondary more aggressive & punishing receivers instead of playing soft. And please..... upgrade the interior of the DL. Get bigger, stronger & meaner.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't think you switch out older vets for younger players unless there's a valid reason to do so. Like the older player is making too much money. Or the older player's aren't performing anymore & there are guys ready to take their place. Replacing just for replacement sake gets a team a one way ticket to last place.

Happy for Jordan Younger as he finally gets to be DC for a Grey Cup contending team. He knows the personnel & I'm hoping he may want to do some things differently. Like making the secondary more aggressive & punishing receivers instead of playing soft. And please..... upgrade the interior of the DL. Get bigger, stronger & meaner.

This is the biggest key of this off-season to me. I’ve repeated it before but we need a true Nose Tackle on the roster. 

As far as DB’s, I think wbbfan suggested that with JY, we might see less of DBs quickly turning to run with WRs, staying in backpedal longer in order to break on the ball. 

This tweak could be huge for a guy like Parker who excels playing that style. 

We’ve had our most success the last few years when the DBs are coming down on routes. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I actually kind of missed Loquacious Larry. 
Gimmicks make the off-season more entertaining. 

It has been wonderful to witness our beloved football team emerge from the Canadian Football Hinterland.  Savouring their success is akin to the gradual imbibement of single malt.  Would that I still had young days ahead of me, and could fully take to the field again.

I think we all saw it coming but hoped for a miracle. Brown is as good as gone and it's a crying shame. Would love to get something for him before he walks, but I suspect teams would rather wait a month for FA than give up even token picks for exclusive neg rights... would be great to turn something out of nothing though, fingers crossed.

Where is a reasonable starting space for Brown?

Calgary ahead of Maier?

Saskatchewan ahead of Harris?

Ottawa ahead of Crum if they don't bring back Masoli?

Hamilton ahead of Bo?

BC, Montreal, Winnipeg, Toronto and Edmonton presumably all locked in.

I thought HAM for sure until Bo was brought back (thought he was gone based on his remarks at the end of the season). OTT seems like the path of least resistance, but as has been pointed out, that's where QB's go to die. SSK is rolling with Harris because <fart noises>, they could use a good young QB like Brown in the wings but Brown wants to start now, not later (it appears to me). CGY seems enamored with Maier, and he isn't thaaaat bad... call me a homer but I think Brown could do better.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Winnipeg needs to trade Brown's rights if he has no intention of coming back.

Trade his rights early for an Ottawa QB, they've got an excess and won't be able to keep them all.  It's better than bringing in a CFL new comer for the #2 spot. 

Masoli, Adams, and Crum are all currently under contract through 2024, while Nick Arbuckle is a pending free agent. Tyrrell Pigrome and Jake Dunniway, both of whom filled depth roles last year, are also signed for the upcoming season.

Bob Dyce has to think like Jones and make sure the RB's get off to a good start next season, if he can't show improvement there's a good chance he'll be fired by game 6.  What better way to ensure a good start than  committing to Brown and dumping Masoli's contract asap.

Edited by Fatty Liver