CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

5 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Our playoff defense in 2019 was generational, as was our regular season defense in 2021. That was no fluke.

last season the defence was outstanding. teams  struggled to score tdowns against the bombers.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

People might not want to acknowledge the level of difficulty cutting a 3 in 1 Natl. kicker caused the team in roster management, there may be measurable benefits down the road, but the cost of replacing him and the lost ratio flexibility he allowed has become a real inconvenience.  As much as I wasn't Leggs biggest fan, I don't think it's been worth the tradeoff.

was an issue I figured was gonna hurt us right from get go

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

So MOS could roster another LB or FB that doesn't play anyway? No thanks. Rather have Castillo. 

and yeah....at moment I have no faith in what he would have utilized with that DA spot....and won't until he gets on board and at least declares a Nationlized American which he hasn't lately anyway....not like he was using it to its potential like every other team in league does

Davis has been one of the best defenders in the league and made some remarkable plays from his position, I seem to recall a leaping one-handed INT maybe in 2019? I wonder if this had to do with him not reporting for training camp, bad blood maybe? Only speculation on my part

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Here are some other extremely key things that improved the 2019 team for the playoffs: Mason at SAM, Alexander at safety, Taylor at halfback. Jones at db as well. And yes collaros in for injured Nichols was part but they mare a lot of changes to the D leading into the playoffs that set the tone for what was to come, and make no mistake the 2019 playoffs the defense was lights out and a way bigger factor than the offense.

That secondary was lights out, especially vs. Calgary. I'll never forget the play where BLM was so flustered, that a throwaway didn't make past the LOS. I predicted a GC win after that play.

2019 - No Collaros = Not winning our last game = 10-7 = 3rd place = going into Regina with our backup QB starting his 2nd game not Calgary in the bitter cold = no playoff wins = no Grey Cup for 20+ years in a row.  

Without Collaros, we were 3rd in the west, 4th in the league = Mid-Tier. We won 2 games in our last 6 and would have only won 1 game out of the last 6 without Collaros. 

You don't have to agree with me, but you're wrong if you think we were top tier in 2019 or that we'd have won the GC without him.

29 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

2019 - No Collaros = Not winning our last game = 10-7 = 3rd place = going into Regina with our backup QB starting his 2nd game not Calgary in the bitter cold = no playoff wins = no Grey Cup for 20+ years in a row.  

Without Collaros, we were 3rd in the west, 4th in the league = Mid-Tier. We won 2 games in our last 6 and would have only won 1 game out of the last 6 without Collaros. 

You don't have to agree with me, but you're wrong if you think we were top tier in 2019 or that we'd have won the GC without him.

You don't have to agree with me, but you're wrong if you think the changes on D didn't have more to do with elevating the team considering how much streveler actually played in the post season. Collaros was part of it,  but his impact was more the following season. He and streveler both were big parts of the qb picture, it was solidifying the secondary that unleashed the defense to be an ungodly terror. 

All we needed for that run was someone to Game Manage the Nichols offense and the rest of the team would take care of everything else. I still believe healthy Nichols with Strev could have won us that GC. All we needed was a game manager to steady the ship and let the D do it's thing. 

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

All we needed for that run was someone to Game Manage the Nichols offense and the rest of the team would take care of everything else. I still believe healthy Nichols with Strev could have won us that GC. All we needed was a game manager to steady the ship and let the D do it's thing. 

I get what you’re saying, but can you honestly be confident in Nichols hitting the darts? Specifically the one from the last regular season game, and the deep shot to Adams in the WSF? 
In my mind, with Nichols every year would have ended like 2018 did. 

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Davis has been one of the best defenders in the league and made some remarkable plays from his position, I seem to recall a leaping one-handed INT maybe in 2019? I wonder if this had to do with him not reporting for training camp, bad blood maybe? Only speculation on my part

Or maybe because it’s 2023

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Except the D was so much better in 2019. Nichols was very good in a lot of playoff games for winnipeg but the D let him down. Let us not forget the team was 7-1 when he got hurt.

So yes I absolutely believe that a tandem of Nichols and streveler with as good as the D was playing can win that cup.

6 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I get what you’re saying, but can you honestly be confident in Nichols hitting the darts? Specifically the one from the last regular season game, and the deep shot to Adams in the WSF? 

yeah, that 2019 western final against the Roughriders was a real narrow thing indeed.  Hard to believe that we could have taken a step backwards at any position on the field and still won.

14 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

ummm. I hate to break it you. But in 2019 the Bombers...WITH Collaros were 3rd in the west. We went on the road to cgy then regina. Collaros played a huge part in both games and I'm not sure the outcome is the same if Nichols plays. BUT the Defence gave up how many TDs to ssk....in ssk? That was the start of the greatest Defence the CFL has ever seen. Without Collaros, the Bombers maaaaybe still had a chance at getting to the GC. Without the Defence playing the way they did, there is absolutely zero chance. 

I would post Collaros stats throughout the 2019 GC run, to show how steady, but unremarkable they were. But I can't find them because the CFL website is hot garbage.

15 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

We finished 3rd in the West in 2019. Not sure what you are talking about?

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think there was a little Collaros magic in our 2019 run for sure, but it is overstated. What ZC brought to us that year was a decent QB capable of running our offence in the absence of Nichols. A healthy pre-injury Nichols/Streveler stood a very good chance of running the table in the playoffs with that defence.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

ummm. I hate to break it you. But in 2019 the Bombers...WITH Collaros were 3rd in the west. We went on the road to cgy then regina. Collaros played a huge part in both games and I'm not sure the outcome is the same if Nichols plays. BUT the Defence gave up how many TDs to ssk....in ssk? That was the start of the greatest Defence the CFL has ever seen. Without Collaros, the Bombers maaaaybe still had a chance at getting to the GC. Without the Defence playing the way they did, there is absolutely zero chance. 

I would post Collaros stats throughout the 2019 GC run, to show how steady, but unremarkable they were. But I can't find them because the CFL website is hot garbage.

West Semi Final -- 11 of 21 for 193 yards and a TD
West Final  -- 17 of 25 for 267 yards and a TD
Grey Cup --  17 of 23 for 170 yards

I think the argument that is being made here, and that the Bombers were a 3rd place team, Streveler was at least somewhat injured (and underwhelming as a non-gadget player) and the depth QB was Sean McGuire. If you don't pick up Collaros, maybe you grab another QB instead and not have to trot him out there, but McGuire with his one career start, 15-36 for 221 yards that includes 1 TD against 4 interceptions doesn't really inspire much confidence. 

18 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ti-Cats basically gave Davis to the Stamps, sixth-round pick in the 2024 CFL Draft.  Vaughters may be out for the season so the Stamps had a big hole to fill.  Semi-pleased Walters isn't interested in old has-beens.

I'm with you on semi-pleased. Davis has declined, but he's better as a rotational player than our current depth. What's Walters' plan? Considering depth and overall talent level, where does our D-line rank? Five teams who are better? Four at best, possibly six? We need an upgrade in talent and added depth. Doesn't feel like a Grey Cup winning talent level D-line at present. Or entire defense for that matter.