CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

All I can say is my favourite sports writer ever is Ed Tait. In terms of on air conversation, Bob Irving and Ron McLean are my personal favourites. I always felt like Cory Woron has been criminally underrated over his career. I'm likely the only guy here that listens to Sirius XM Prime Country channel, but there is a guy on there named Mike Terry that is spectacular.

Ron MacLean is a really interesting take. He has taken a bunch of heat about his comments on the HNIC panel, and in the wake of the Don Cherry firing. And he tries too hard with the puns, I find. But I also do remember him doing one-on-one interviews with players where he really shone and asked great non-traditional questions. I guess the medium is so important too, like having a longer free-form discussion rather than a short media scrum where you get one question, or a canned talk show interview for 8-10 minutes. I like the “After Hours” segment on HNIC for that, think Scott Oake does OK with it. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

All I can say is my favourite sports writer ever is Ed Tait. In terms of on air conversation, Bob Irving and Ron McLean are my personal favourites. I always felt like Cory Woron has been criminally underrated over his career. I'm likely the only guy here that listens to Sirius XM Prime Country channel, but there is a guy on there named Mike Terry that is spectacular.

The great interviewers actually listen to the answers and are willing to allow their interviews to go off course.  Nothing worse than interviewers ignoring answers that have obvious follow up questions. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You ever listen to Theo Von? It doesnt seem like the guy does much prep for the interviews but does tend to ask some interesting questions and does put his guests at ease.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I listen to Howard Stern on Sirius XM a lot and his interviews are mind blowing, everyone wanting to know how to interview people should listen to how he does it.  His preparation before an interview is bar none, he almost always blows away guests with how much he studies before he does his interviews.

Never been a huge fan of his but the few I’ve watched have been really good. He seems to wrap him self in an edgy cloak but is an excellent media type at heart. 
 Joe Rogan is really divisive these days, but especially for a none professional he has done some great interviews. I haven’t watched his stuff in a few years but he does have a lot. 

28 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Research, research and then more research. A guest respects someone who has taken the time to learn something about them and their work. 

I think that combined with the ability to make an interview not feel like an interview. Not being overly guided but more a natural conversation, and being genuinely intrigued and teachable is big too. No one wants to see an expert talk to a  none expert and see the none expert act like an expert. I think this is a pitfall rogan has fallen into at times. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Ron MacLean is a really interesting take. He has taken a bunch of heat about his comments on the HNIC panel, and in the wake of the Don Cherry firing. And he tries too hard with the puns, I find. But I also do remember him doing one-on-one interviews with players where he really shone and asked great non-traditional questions. I guess the medium is so important too, like having a longer free-form discussion rather than a short media scrum where you get one question, or a canned talk show interview for 8-10 minutes. I like the “After Hours” segment on HNIC for that, think Scott Oake does OK with it. 

Scott Oake is the first sports guy I remember not taking sports too seriously and it was so refreshing. 

I know people who have worked professionally with Maclean and my opinion of him has dropped accordingly. 

23 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The great interviewers actually listen to the answers and are willing to allow their interviews to go off course.  Nothing worse than interviewers ignoring answers that have obvious follow up questions. 

It HAS to be a conversation and not a scripted Q n A session. That's something young journalists do... They over prepare because they're terrified of the conversation. It's just a lack of confidence more than anything. As you get more experience, you gain confidence and a comfortability with open conversations. But you're exactly right... You have to be willing and able to let the conversation go where it will. That's just my take anyhow.

As for MacLean, I don't know if there's ever been a better conversational interviewer in Canadian sports than him. And it comes from an insane encyclopedic knowledge of virtually everything. He's like a jeopardy contestant, that guy. 

45 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

You’re not asking me, but there’s a world of difference between talk shows and interviews that really matter. 

Letterman in the Netflix format is far superior to the old days because he has all the time he needs now. 

As far as serious reportage, it’s hard to beat Maddow or Mehdi Hassan. They obviously put in the work. 

Bwha haa ha Rachel Maddow oh boy wow.  Anyway, whatever happened to old Strombo?  I liked his interviews on his show back in the day.

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It HAS to be a conversation and not a scripted Q n A session. That's something young journalists do... They over prepare because they're terrified of the conversation. It's just a lack of confidence more than anything. As you get more experience, you gain confidence and a comfortability with open conversations. But you're exactly right... You have to be willing and able to let the conversation go where it will. That's just my take anyhow.

As for MacLean, I don't know if there's ever been a better conversational interviewer in Canadian sports than him. And it comes from an insane encyclopedic knowledge of virtually everything. He's like a jeopardy contestant, that guy. 

How NOT to conduct an interview....talk about a crash and burn...

Hey guys, we're going to the Grey Cup tomorrow.  How cool is that????

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't want to say too much, but I know enough to know that some personalities that come across as authentic have actually (perhaps organically) become character actors.  Not questioning his knowledge or memory, but I think it's safe to say that's why we might get along.

30 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Bwha haa ha Rachel Maddow oh boy wow.  Anyway, whatever happened to old Strombo?  I liked his interviews on his show back in the day.

I really like Strombo too. 

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

How NOT to conduct an interview....talk about a crash and burn...

Hey guys, we're going to the Grey Cup tomorrow.  How cool is that????

Two dicks going to battle. Can’t stand either. It is a mega **** move to agree to some thing pre interview then throw it out the door. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I really like Strombo too. 

Two dicks going to battle. Can’t stand either. It is a mega **** move to agree to some thing pre interview then throw it out the door. 

It pissed me off when I first heard about it. BBT is a known ****** but he wants to promote the music, not the acting, and you agreed to go that route... Then you go against it. The whole thing was a train wreck. Not fun for anyone. And it's a lot of arrogance to think that manufacturing controversy is a good thing.

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It pissed me off when I first heard about it. BBT is a known ****** but he wants to promote the music, not the acting, and you agreed to go that route... Then you go against it. The whole thing was a train wreck. Not fun for anyone. And it's a lot of arrogance to think that manufacturing controversy is a good thing.

I felt sorry for the Boxmasters.  They just want to play their music and they tied themselves to a famous guy to help them gain fans but the guy they tied themselves to is a lunatic so now you have to sit through all of these awkward interviews with this meathead insulting the interviewer and going off on tangents about reading magazines totally unrelated to music when he was a child.  

You guys are probably way too young to remember Tom Snyder who was the host of the Tomorrow Show on NBC back in the mid 70's. I was a student at the U of M & I found that show fascinating. Snyder would come on right after the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He was an amazing interviewer. He could ask the tough questions (& he constantly did) & he was engaging & funny. He could put his guests at ease with a smile & a joke. His interview with John Lennon is something I'll always remember. 

Does the IE stand for Internet Explorer?  Not a bad tune but not a big fan of music without instruments honestly. I've become more of a classical music fan. Say what you want but Violins and string instruments are soothing for the soul 

Edited by Goalie