CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

So.....Macadoo is now going to "advise" on the defensive side of the ball.......is that a we gotta pay him anyway, so instead of firing him we will just distance him from the offence?....or is it a matter of Jones just doing his bud a solid?

If we fire him, he'll take all our secrets and give our opponents an advantage! ;) 

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

So.....Macadoo is now going to "advise" on the defensive side of the ball.......is that a we gotta pay him anyway, so instead of firing him we will just distance him from the offence?....or is it a matter of Jones just doing his bud a solid?

He did wonders for every defense he faced!

31 minutes ago, Booch said:

I would suggest it's a bit of both. They gotta pay him anyway, and Jones is still feeling the football ops pinch and can't really afford to let staff go. 

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

basically eh?...

Yea...I support the football ops cap so that you don't have Saskatchewan spending 4 million a year more than the other teams per year, but I really think that teams should be able to turn over coaching and management whenever necessary without the new guys having to be hamstrung by it. 

I find it hilarious that the Riders are the biggest victims of the rule they forced to be created. HILARIOUS. Can't get rid of Dickie even though he is god awful, and it was their own freewheel spending that bit them in the ass. All boils down to them poaching Jones and Murphy and paying them both gobs of money. lmao.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yea...I support the football ops cap so that you don't have Saskatchewan spending 4 million a year more than the other teams per year, but I really think that teams should be able to turn over coaching and management whenever necessary without the new guys having to be hamstrung by it. 

they should tweak that...especially when u have a dumpster fire like edm that if u can a guy mid season that salary is off the books at a pro-rated amount if not all of it

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

they should tweak that...especially when u have a dumpster fire like edm that if u can a guy mid season that salary is off the books at a pro-rated amount if not all of it

Just off the books entirely. Let them, and the new coach, hire the staff they want within the yearly ops cap but outgoing not count. An incoming coach shouldn't have to shorten his bench or hire the old coordinators just because of the cap. It cheapens our product. Look at Edmonton. It is a direct result of awful coaching partly due to Jones not being able to choose his guys and have a full coaching staff.

Edited by GCn20

32 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Did it also lead to his new career as a tax swindling politician and disreputable business owner?

We have a thread for responses like that in the general discussion. Keep politics over there. This is football talk.

2 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Was the Ops cap introduced during Ambroise's reign? While the sentiment behind it is a good one I think, the execution is extremely lacking and detriment to the overall goal, a  scenario that seems hallmark of Randy's time at the helm.

I believe it was implemented under Ambrosie. Not a bad idea...just needs some changes so that franchises are able to change staff when necessary.

Edited by GCn20

39 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Just off the books entirely. Let them, and the new coach, hire the staff they want within the yearly ops cap but outgoing not count. An incoming coach shouldn't have to shorten his bench or hire the old coordinators just because of the cap. It cheapens our product. Look at Edmonton. It is a direct result of awful coaching partly due to Jones not being able to choose his guys and have a full coaching staff.

Chris Jones is the sole reason there is an Ops cap so he has nobody to blame but himself.  If you're going to let him off the hook here, what's next?  Another secret stash house for extra players not on the books?  

I feel bad for Cui because he inherited that mess but their BOD should be given the axe since they started the tire fire by signing a guy like that to a long term deal while still paying the previous coaches.  They should have waited for Cui's hiring to be finalized & allow him to hire who he wanted.   I do think the Ops cap should have some tweaks to it though. I don't think it's fair they get fully guaranteed contracts while players don't so make it a similar scenario.  Only partially guaranteed contracts if you meet certain criteria, otherwise the team is only responsible for the current season.  

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Chris Jones is the sole reason there is an Ops cap so he has nobody to blame but himself.  If you're going to let him off the hook here, what's next?  Another secret stash house for extra players not on the books?  

I feel bad for Cui because he inherited that mess but their BOD should be given the axe since they started the tire fire by signing a guy like that to a long term deal while still paying the previous coaches.  They should have waited for Cui's hiring to be finalized & allow him to hire who he wanted.   I do think the Ops cap should have some tweaks to it though. I don't think it's fair they get fully guaranteed contracts while players don't so make it a similar scenario.  Only partially guaranteed contracts if you meet certain criteria, otherwise the team is only responsible for the current season.  

He hasn't done anything to right that ship. He could dump Jones at any time and should have last offseason. Jones is not fully guaranteed. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

He hasn't done anything to right that ship. He could dump Jones at any time and should have last offseason. Jones is not fully guaranteed. 

It was reported by 3DN that way but, unless he's lying to save face, Cui shot that down recently while also admitting they are still paying guys like Sunderland and Elizondo.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It was reported by 3DN that way but, unless he's lying to save face, Cui shot that down recently while also admitting they are still paying guys like Sunderland and Elizondo.

that's what I thought... Cui just recently said they're in cap hell, so they can't do much. Still think they could punt Jones and promote Geroy and Coordinators to higher posts, but yeah, they're a bit handcuffed right now. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Mea culpa... I should have known. 

3DN seemed to stick to their story a bit when Cui's comments came out - they pointed out that they had several sources confirm their information was accurate, so who knows. 

Playing Devil's advocate, Cui might be spinning things and not being entirely truthful - after years of promoting fights, this should come naturally to him now!  By saying his hands are pretty much tied, it gives him an out as to why they aren't doing anything.  They made one nothingburger move with McAdoo to make it look like they are trying but are they really?

If any changes were made to the Ops Cap to help out the Elks they should also benefit teams like the Bombers.

Remember, the Bombers are hampered by the cap from retaining their staff for a number of years now and they still need to find money to re-sign Walters. The Bombers should be able to give their staff raises and retain the guys they want.

32 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

If any changes were made to the Ops Cap to help out the Elks they should also benefit teams like the Bombers.

Remember, the Bombers are hampered by the cap from retaining their staff for a number of years now and they still need to find money to re-sign Walters. The Bombers should be able to give their staff raises and retain the guys they want.

Walters has been here a while now...so not like he should get...or expect a massive bump....a lil extra to top what he has made up to now should suffice....players take less to play here...would be a good vibe if coach and or management did too so as to fit the narrative here

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Jones bro imo. He always hire mcdoodoobird

17 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Chris Jones is not the sole reason there is an OPs cap. The Riders stupidity in giving him a blank cheque, and to spend willy nilly at his whim for guys like Murphy is why we have an ops cap. You can't blame Jones for that. The Riders should have known better. Of course a GM/HC is going to spend the resources you give him and if you want to pay him an outrageous salary to do it...he'll take it.

17 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I believe that last year Jones also mentioned that he had to run short on coaching staff for last year and this year due to the football ops cap. That hurts the product. As much as I don't like Jones or Edmonton, it hurts the CFL to have a team unable to properly prepare their players.

Edited by GCn20

20 hours ago, Booch said:

Yes.