Bombers Extend Zach Collaros

Rich

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The 3 Down report says in year 3 that $250,000 of his $500,000 base is guaranteed. So it is admittedly an assumption on my part that his base is consistent for all 3 seasons, which leaves $300,000. Would make sense if they are tapping into this year’s reserves that he gets up front money. 

Maybe a little bit this year.  There's a ton of bonuses, house allowance etc.

3 years is great news and allows the Bombers to develop a replacement. I think Dru Brown played very well in BC with a few replacements in front of him. Give him the same protection as ZC and I think we win that game. Would like to continue to develop him as the heir to the throne. He would be 29 at that point. Will Dru hang around 3 years as a back up to develop though or would he jump at a starter chance on another team if available? In saying that I don’t know his current contract length. 

14 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

3 years is great news and allows the Bombers to develop a replacement. I think Dru Brown played very well in BC with a few replacements in front of him. Give him the same protection as ZC and I think we win that game. Would like to continue to develop him as the heir to the throne. He would be 29 at that point. Will Dru hang around 3 years as a back up to develop though or would he jump at a starter chance on another team if available? In saying that I don’t know his current contract length. 

Try and keep em. A couple mental errors vs BC,clean em up and we win. Zach could go down with injury,decline etc. Dru has a good arm,has wheels and a solid oline,nows the time to develop.

16 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I think he is under contract next season.

19 hours ago, Jesse said:

Dru Brown is probably the best looking prospect we've seen at QB, but there's no way he sticks around for  3 more years if he continues to look good.

Probably not. However, if we develop him and he goes on to start elsewhere it's still good for us. Anytime a good starter is added in this league everyone benefits as it allows for crap QBs to be turfed/demoted.

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Didn't willy throw for like 400? 

Not in his first CFL start.  

"Willy made his first CFL start on September 16, 2012, in Montreal against the Montreal Alouettes. He completed 22-of-35 passes for 225 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions in a losing effort.[11] Willy earned his first CFL win as a starter on July 27, 2013, against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats where he completed 14 of 25 pass attempts for 269 yards with three touchdowns and zero interceptions in relief of the injured Darian Durant.[12] In two seasons with the Roughriders, Willy was utilized in a backup role. He dressed in all 36 games over his two years with the team, and started four, passing for 1,182 yards with nine touchdowns and five interceptions. Willy was also a part of the 101st Grey Cup champion team in 2013."

His first start in Winnipeg:

PASSING

DATE WEEK OPP COMP ATT YDS TD INT AVG
06-26
1 TOR 19 27 308 4 1 11.4

23 hours ago, Jesse said:

Dru Brown is probably the best looking prospect we've seen at QB, but there's no way he sticks around for  3 more years if he continues to look good.

Brown would have to be careful where he chooses to go, he's not a world beater like Collaros, he looks good enough playing on a G.C. bound team, but may not be particularly effective if thrown into the fire of a bad team like the current version of the Riders.  He'd be just another of the hundreds of CFL QB's that come and go within a few years, simply because they landed on the wrong team at the wrong time.  A good team makes every QB look better just as a bad team makes every QB look worse.

Just now, 17to85 said:

All this talk is highly premature.  Brown has stepped in and looked decent in relief when he has had to this year but there is a loooonnngggg way between decent in your first start (which still included 2 ints for touchdowns and a loss) and starting qb.

Yeah, I was talking after next season...and only if he got some opportunities and looked like he was improving. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

All this talk is highly premature.  Brown has stepped in and looked decent in relief when he has had to this year but there is a loooonnngggg way between decent in your first start (which still included 2 ints for touchdowns and a loss) and starting qb.

I like Rasheed Bailey as much as the next person, but targeting him 14 times was......interesting.

10 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I like Rasheed Bailey as much as the next person, but targeting him 14 times was......interesting.

Why? Our receivers are strong as a group, any given game a different guy can step up.  Brown targets different guys than collaros who targeted different guys than streveler who targeted different guys than Nichols. Just the way it goes when you are strong as a group moreso than strong based on one or two individuals. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Why? Our receivers are strong as a group, any given game a different guy can step up.  Brown targets different guys than collaros who targeted different guys than streveler who targeted different guys than Nichols. Just the way it goes when you are strong as a group moreso than strong based on one or two individuals. 

Because 14 targets is an interesting amount?

I would target Sheed in a clutch catch situation....or u need a first down...u know the dude will give it 110 percent to scratch and claw to get it, plus in his time here he's made many great catches...and clutch...that being said we have the luxury of pretty much any of our guys with that same attribute...and will be getting 2 more ultra clutch guys back in Woli and Ellingson.

Game dictates who and where the ball goes..the Lions were trying to limit/shut down Schoen and Demski...so Sheed got the balls...and produced...it's what good teams do