Bombers Extend Zach Collaros

Rich

33 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Low risk, high reward signing. If his performance drops off, you can cut ties.

Happy for Zach. Myself and many others thought his career was over after the Simoni hit.

If his performance drops off it doesn't matter because he gave us at minimum 2 grey cups in 5 seasons. MINIMUM. Guy is a legend no matter what happens here on out.

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Some interesting stuff in here.... 

"Since then all he’s done is play at a high level for Saskatchewan when healthy, be prematurely pushed out the Green and White door for an inferior passer,"

220px-Trollface_non-free.png

How can you care for yourself at home?

Put ice or a cold pack on the area for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Put a thin cloth between the ice and your skin.

Urinate often. Don't wait until you feel the need.

Avoid the situation that may have caused the painful erection.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Bombers made the Oline a priority when Walters took over and not since Zach became QB. 

Zach is just benefitting from having an awesome GM. 

100%. He’s done an unreal job of drafting and developing ol. Looking back at the top 3 rounds or so in his era I don’t think he’s missed on an ol. 

Three thoughts:

1. A $300,000 signing bonus, so he actually comes in cheaper cap-wise than his current contract. 

2. The “guaranteed money” part of the CBA is a huge positive development for the league. Players now willing to sign longer term, continuity for the club and the fans. Good article here:

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/18/zach-collaros-kyle-walters-agree-partially-guaranteed-contracts-will-help-cfl-build-roster-continuity/

And for anyone worried about having to pay a 37 year old $250,000, Bombers can make that back by selling 1,100 “Collaros” jerseys in the next 3 seasons. Now that I don’t need to worry about replacing it for a while, I am in. 

3. The conspiracy theorist on me loves the timing of this. Do it on an off-week to keep the vibes positive without being a distraction for next game prep, and also a nice reminder to all the writers hemming and hawing about the Rourke/Collaros MOP debate what Zach’s numbers are and how deserving he is of being the highest paid player in the league. A nice reset for the conversation. 

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It is all when the money is actually paid. If we signed Collaros to a 3 year 550k contract but paid him 200k up front as a signing bonus his future cap hit is 200k less because of what we paid now.  I would imagine we paid him every dollar we could to the SMS limit as an up front signing bonus with that money counting against this year's cap. Given the amount of guys we have had do full terms on the 6 game that signing bonus was likely pretty substantial and would reduce his AAV in the next 3 years.

yes u can use unused 2022 sms as upfront money now, for any future contract...which Walters does often to lessen the sms impact salary wise for the following year, allowing you more ability to retain guys, or go after guys...basically it's being paid for service in advance

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Three thoughts:

1. A $300,000 signing bonus, so he actually comes in cheaper cap-wise than his current contract. 

2. The “guaranteed money” part of the CBA is a huge positive development for the league. Players now willing to sign longer term, continuity for the club and the fans. Good article here:

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/18/zach-collaros-kyle-walters-agree-partially-guaranteed-contracts-will-help-cfl-build-roster-continuity/

And for anyone worried about having to pay a 37 year old $250,000, Bombers can make that back by selling 1,100 “Collaros” jerseys in the next 3 seasons. Now that I don’t need to worry about replacing it for a while, I am in. 

3. The conspiracy theorist on me loves the timing of this. Do it on an off-week to keep the vibes positive without being a distraction for next game prep, and also a nice reminder to all the writers hemming and hawing about the Rourke/Collaros MOP debate what Zach’s numbers are and how deserving he is of being the highest paid player in the league. A nice reset for the conversation. 

Bought my Zach jersey this year and am super pumped about this extension. 

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

They have, we have actually....many times.  The SMS year runs to Jan. 2 I believe each year. Anytime you see big signings of extensions late in the season, or right up to January you are seeing teams looking to spend unused cap before the SMS deadline. As a general rule, unless teams really get decimated by long term injuries this amount is only a couple hundred thousand max but all teams try to use up current cap to offset future cap.

yup...it's smart gm'ing and totally above the board...generally Walters always leaves a slush for this every yr...hence why we have been able to keep our core so intact

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Any extension you hear about before December 1st is doing exactly that.

Jones in Edmonton has already done it 3 times this yr that I am aware of...smart

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yep they clearly had cap room if they were working on a deal to bring Lawler back.  Since that fell through, that money can be used for deals like this.

yeah we had room..plenty of it so will use it now...expect others to be re-upped

also of note with Lawler...I heard from a very worthy source that the trade for him also had an extension for 2 yrs with it....

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Bought my Zach jersey this year and am super pumped about this extension. 

Same and got it signed at fan appreciation day, super awesome news. 

600k is actually excellent value for us and him. Great contract all in all. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

yes u can use unused 2022 sms as upfront money now, for any future contract...which Walters does often to lessen the sms impact salary wise for the following year, allowing you more ability to retain guys, or go after guys...basically it's being paid for service in advance

I assume this with the cuts means we’ve seen the last of the roster additions this year. Love the db changes this team could get major additions from the ir I’m hoping for good news In the next couple weeks. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Three thoughts:

Where did the 300k up front number come from? I can't seem to find that report.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Where did the 300k up front number come from? I can't seem to find that report.

The 3 Down report says in year 3 that $250,000 of his $500,000 base is guaranteed. So it is admittedly an assumption on my part that his base is consistent for all 3 seasons, which leaves $300,000. Would make sense if they are tapping into this year’s reserves that he gets up front money. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

The 3 Down report says in year 3 that $250,000 of his $500,000 base is guaranteed. So it is admittedly an assumption on my part that his base is consistent for all 3 seasons, which leaves $300,000. Would make sense if they are tapping into this year’s reserves that he gets up front money. 

That kind of makes sense. 

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Same and got it signed at fan appreciation day, super awesome news. 

600k is actually excellent value for us and him. Great contract all in all. 

I assume this with the cuts means we’ve seen the last of the roster additions this year. Love the db changes this team could get major additions from the ir I’m hoping for good news In the next couple weeks. 

wonder what portion of that was paid to him in 2022

I certain we will hear Woli is back doing some practice work...and Ellingson is back to full participant...and it wont surprise me at all if Wilson and Agudosi are limited participants...

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

wonder what portion of that was paid to him in 2022

I certain we will hear Woli is back doing some practice work...and Ellingson is back to full participant...and it wont surprise me at all if Wilson and Agudosi are limited participants...

Cheese and crackers ,even I could be half assed successful with that receiving core ...WOW!

Zach Collaros: "We have guys like Adam Bighill, Paddy (Neufeld), Jake (Thomas) and Stan (Bryant) and Willie (Jefferson) and Jackson (Jeffcoat), Mikey (Couture) and Jessie (Briggs).  Guys that I kind of sit back and I watch and try to take something from them. The way they conduct themselves. Not just in the building but at home with their families, too. I think I've grown a lot personally. So, I try to go out of my way to thank those guys for that and the way they handle themselves".

I love that quote because Zach mentioned Jessie Briggs who has been a Bomber now for nearly a decade. How cool is that? A backup linebacker who has seen a few starts when there were injuries in the linebacking corps & a hardworking special teams player. Not just that, though. What a nice compliment coming from a player like Collaros. I'm sure Briggs appreciates it. 

A Jessie Briggs story: In 2002, Jessie was an undersized running back for the Pee Wee team I coached with called the Southwest Calgary Wildcats. When I say undersized, If he stood 4 1.2 feet tall & weighed 80 lbs soaking wet that was a bonus. He played against linebackers who were 70 lbs heavier, His fullback was 160 lbs. My son Tyler was the Wildcats qb. These kids were 11 & 12 years old. 

We breezed thru the season 8-0 winning the South Division crown, We crushed our semi final opponent & then we faced our biggest rival, the Nothwest Calgary Cowboys who routinely won championships in pee wee & bantam every year. Their coaches & players always carried a swagger back then. They knew they were good & we hated them. They didn't like us much either. They went 7-1 with their only loss being against us in the regular season. 

We met the Cowboys in the Pee Wee City Final. It was a defensive game as it was 0-0 with only 2 or 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter. We called a run play up the middle between our Center & Right Guard. They both opened up a hole & little Jessie shot through for a 70 yard touchdown run. No one was going to catch him & we won the game 8-0. Converts were worth 2 points as they're not easy to do for 11 & 12 year olds.  We won the game & Jessie was the hero. We went on & beat a team from Edmonton to win the Provincial Pee Wee Championship. 

Jessie & his family moved to Kelowna in the off season after pee wee & he continued playing. I never saw him again until the Bombers drafted him & he had grown into a 225 lb linebacker playing for the Bombers. Now he's a 2 time Grey Cup champion. a leader on the team & hopeully going for a three peat. I'm sure Jessie remembers scoring that TD against the Cowboys, 20 years ago. It sure is a great memory. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27