Bombers Extend Zach Collaros

Rich

Thrilled about this move. I noticed in the game against Edmonton how much fun Collaros seemed to be having. He was on the sideline in a blow out and he had his helmet in his hand because he wanted to be back out there. I’m really happy for Zach, he’s playing the best ball of his career and his love for the game is apparent. After what he’s gone through he deserves all the success in the world. 

2 hours ago, itchy said:

Love the rubbing it in the face of the arm chair GM's who doubted him. a subtle FU to Rod Pederson as well.

There was nothing subtle about it. If there was a Ring of Honour for bad takes, Pedersen would be up there for this one, along with a bunch of Bomber fans when the trade went down. I’m not sure anyone, even those excited by the trade when it went down, could have imagined it would have worked out this well for the club or Zach three years in. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It is a tremendous extension. Using up our unused cap space I am sure.

Does the salary cap really work that way? Can you borrow from cap savings one year to apply to future years without penalty? Or a singing bonus is not part of the AAV?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

There was nothing subtle about it. If there was a Ring of Honour for bad takes, Pederson would be up there for this one, along with a bunch of Bomber fans when the trade went down. I’m not sure anyone, even those excited by the trade when it went down, could have imagined it would have worked out this well for the club or Zach three years in. 

As funny as the Rod clip is, it's what everyone was saying and thinking at the time.

It's what I was saying when the Riders first signed him, when they re-signed him, when they traded him, and when we traded for him.

Edited by Jesse

13 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I noticed in the game against Edmonton how much fun Collaros seemed to be having. He was on the sideline in a blow out and he had his helmet in his hand because he wanted to be back out there. 

I noticed the same thing in the loss to leo's.....As much as he wanted to see Dru Brown get playing time, I could see on Zack's face that he really wanted to be out there...It's the nature of the guy...a true winner

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

As funny as the Rod clip is, it's what everyone was saying and thinking at the time.

It's what I was saying when the Riders first signed him, when they re-signed him, when they traded him, and when we traded for him.

Me too- thought it was the prudent thing to do given our QB situation at the time. Thought he was good insurance and rental player... hooboy was I wrong... Exceeded all my expectations- actually obliterated them and then some.

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

There was nothing subtle about it. If there was a Ring of Honour for bad takes, Pederson would be up there for this one, along with a bunch of Bomber fans when the trade went down. I’m not sure anyone, even those excited by the trade when it went down, could have imagined it would have worked out this well for the club or Zach three years in. 

Does the salary cap really work that way? Can you borrow from cap savings one year to apply to future years without penalty? Or a singing bonus is not part of the AAV?

It is all when the money is actually paid. If we signed Collaros to a 3 year 550k contract but paid him 200k up front as a signing bonus his future cap hit is 200k less because of what we paid now.  I would imagine we paid him every dollar we could to the SMS limit as an up front signing bonus with that money counting against this year's cap. Given the amount of guys we have had do full terms on the 6 game that signing bonus was likely pretty substantial and would reduce his AAV in the next 3 years.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It is all when the money is actually paid. If we signed Collaros to a 3 year 550k contract but paid him 200k signing bonus right now, his future cap hit is 200k less because of what we paid now. 

That’s curious. I’m surprised teams have not abused that loophole to cheat the cap and load up for certain seasons. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s curious. I’m surprised teams have not abused that loophole to cheat the cap and load up for certain seasons. 

They have, we have actually....many times.  The SMS year runs to Jan. 2 I believe each year. Anytime you see big signings of extensions late in the season, or right up to January you are seeing teams looking to spend unused cap before the SMS deadline. As a general rule, unless teams really get decimated by long term injuries this amount is only a couple hundred thousand max but all teams try to use up current cap to offset future cap.

Edited by GCn20

Happens all the time, when players sign an extension or restructure their contracts.   Calgary did it with BLM a couple years ago. 

Because Mitchell agreed and signed the arrangement in December 2019, the $50,000 signing bonus counts towards the Stampeders’ 2019 salary cap. That allows Calgary to create $145,000 of cap room for the 2020 season with Mitchell on the books for $550,000.

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/27/bo-levi-mitchell-restructures-contract-with-stampeders/

17 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I noticed the same thing in the loss to leo's.....As much as he wanted to see Dru Brown get playing time, I could see on Zack's face that he really wanted to be out there...It's the nature of the guy...a true winner

For sure. My toddler woke up and watched the last quarter with me. She kept asking who that grumpy guy was whenever they showed ZC on the sideline. Had to explain that he really wanted to play but the coaches wouldn't let him. Haha

41 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Thrilled about this move. I noticed in the game against Edmonton how much fun Collaros seemed to be having. He was on the sideline in a blow out and he had his helmet in his hand because he wanted to be back out there. I’m really happy for Zach, he’s playing the best ball of his career and his love for the game is apparent. After what he’s gone through he deserves all the success in the world. 

totally agree with this

Holy hell the Rider fan take on this signing is hilarious.

1. Laughing at the Bombers for spending money on aging players.

2. Speculation about tax loopholes and cap circumvention.

3. Something about a history of the Bombers being an easy target for agents to bleed money out of.

4. The ludicrous idea that this somehow sets the market for Cody Fajardo!

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Holy hell the Rider fan take on this signing is hilarious.

1. Laughing at the Bombers for spending money on aging players.

2. Speculation about tax loopholes and cap circumvention.

3. Something about a history of the Bombers being an easy target for agents to bleed money out of.

Bombers can't hear that **** tho with 2 cup rings covering their ears. Rider fans are dumb 

Edited by Goalie