Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

I don't know of too many people who watch because the amount of Canadians...also most I know could care less about ratio if it was reduced..or totally abandoned...and I feel the same way and thats coming from a former "Canadian" by birth player. 

I prefer to see the best players play..regardless of where they are from to be honest, but that being said I would keep the ratio to some extent if it ever came down to a decision, and would be all for a 2 on offence and 2 on defense scenario as you would get the best of the best in the Canadian talent pool. I would also lobby for each team having to carry a minimum of 5 Canadians on their PR to develop.

Don't think it is fair to the ticket buying fans to have to watch players like the Brock Ralphs of the world start on an offence when a stud American who can excite the heck out of a crowd, be cut loose soley due to ratio...grass roots ball would not diminish nor would Usports....it's no different in Hockey when they opened up the draft to europeans and Russians to get on NHL rosters...hockey in the U.S and Canada didn't wilt because the opportunities to play were lessened..all it did was make the quality of the NHL player exponentially better...and fans in Canada continued to follow their teams...same would happen in football...I would make an extra effort to come see a former Heisman candidate, or ex NCAA star player play than watching an unknown Canadian kid who played CIS ball, and not spectacularly just because he is Canadian

Ji

20 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It is short-sighted and lazy to lower the ratio and "let the best men play" as it will discourage participation and development of football players at the lower levels.  This will in turn lead to fewer quality players being available to make the jump to the pros...in turn, this leads to demands for a lower ratio and the cycle continues...This  doesn't even factor in reduced interest from the Canadian audience with fewer Canadian players in the league.  Reduced TV and live attendance are likely to follow.

It is short-sighted and lazy to just lower the ratio. 

Yes, we can have better players to fill the entire roster..and 95%+ of them would be Americans. And Canadian Amateur football would fall by the wayside..in favour of soccer, lacrosse and lawn bowling.

Roster management and development is the key. Work on that first and leave the ratio, the Canadian Football League ratio, alone.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the ratio is EXTREMELY important to me. I'd rather watch a team of all Canadians than a team of all Americans. The NFL can have all Americans....I want a league that's about MY country and people who were born and raised and went to school here!!

Count me in on keeping the ratio where it is.  The last thing I'd want to see happen is have a league that exists just to give marginal players a chance to get back into the NFL.  We're Canadian and Canadian players need a place where thy can have a shot at playing.  Get rid of the nationals and the next thing that will happen is "You know, we might as well play the four down version to help these guys stay NFL ready."  Thanks but no thanks.  

1 less NI per team = the 9 worst NI's not getting to play pro football in Canada.

The CFL has reduced the number of NI starters in the past, and it didn't stop folks from watching. Reducing the starters by 1 wouldn't stop (m)any folks from watching. I've never heard anyone say... 'If they don't start 7 NI's, I'm not watching any more'.

Personally, I think they should have reduced the number of NI starters by 1 when Ottawa came back into the league.

4 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Keep the ratio where it is.  It dropped from 10 starters to 7 and then down to 6.  It should NEVER drop any lower unless the league expanded to 12 or more teams.  It is the CANADIAN Football League and it needs to have as many Canadian roster spots as possible. 

Most domestic leagues around the world have rules for the number of starter spots and roster spots for its players.  It help promotes the sport within the country - both from a developmental and commercial perspective.  

It is short-sighted and lazy to lower the ratio and "let the best men play" as it will discourage participation and development of football players at the lower levels.  This will in turn lead to fewer quality players being available to make the jump to the pros...in turn, this leads to demands for a lower ratio and the cycle continues...This  doesn't even factor in reduced interest from the Canadian audience with fewer Canadian players in the league.  Reduced TV and live attendance are likely to follow.

Football participation is down in community & high schools that feed CIS programs across the country. How are teams supposed to start 7 Canadians when less players play collegiately. that is going to have a negative impact in the years to come. Here in Calgary a number of high schools dropped their grade 10 JV teams last year & didn't finish the season.  They just forfeited their games because they couldn't field enough players to safely play. How can you say it's lazy when the numbers are dropping? 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

1 less NI per team = the 9 worst NI's not getting to play pro football in Canada.

The CFL has reduced the number of NI starters in the past, and it didn't stop folks from watching. Reducing the starters by 1 wouldn't stop (m)any folks from watching. I've never heard anyone say... 'If they don't start 7 NI's, I'm not watching any more'.

Personally, I think they should have reduced the number of NI starters by 1 when Ottawa came back into the league.

The problem isn't with the number of NIs, its with the quality of players coming out of CIS. I say we improve quality of NIs so we can INCREASE the ratio.  

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The problem isn't with the number of NIs, its with the quality of players coming out of CIS. I say we improve quality of NIs so we can INCREASE the ratio.  

It's always going to be a numbers game. For every good Canadian there must be a hundred as-good Americans. Wouldn't be surprised if it's even more.

What we really need is more loopholes for guys like Ben Cahoon and Drew Wolitarsky to slip through and become eligible "Canadians"

Interestingly, Wolitarsky (my favourite Canadian on our team right behind Andrew Harris) wasn't born here, didn't go to school here, and didn't grow up here. It's his ability to play ball I like, even more than his shiny new passport.

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the ratio is EXTREMELY important to me. I'd rather watch a team of all Canadians than a team of all Americans. The NFL can have all Americans....I want a league that's about MY country and people who were born and raised and went to school here!!

How do you feel about watching guys like Wolitarsky, Waggoner etc.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

The quality of NI's gets a bit better every year. The best go to the NFL at least for a while. What we need is ENOUGH good NI's to have 7 or more starters on each team. There aren't enough of them to go round, let alone enough good NI's to fill every teams NI needs. That's why Canucks are paid so much more than imports.

Edited by TBURGESS

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

The quality of NI's gets a bit better every year. The best go to the NFL at least for a while. What we need is ENOUGH good NI's to have 7 or more starters on each team. There aren't enough of them to go round, let alone enough good NI's to fill every teams NI needs. That's why Canucks are paid so much more than imports.

Matt Dunigan Retweeted Krown Countdown U

160+ Canadian Football Players playing in the U.S. This is the cream of the crop! Awesome group!!! #cdnstrong

160+ Canadian Football Players playing in the U.S. This is the cream of the crop! Awesome group!!! #cdnstrong

Not sure if this includes pros or just refers to the college ranks but it's an indication that Canada is producing plenty of good players.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

19 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Keep the ratio where it is.  It dropped from 10 starters to 7 and then down to 6.  It should NEVER drop any lower unless the league expanded to 12 or more teams.  It is the CANADIAN Football League and it needs to have as many Canadian roster spots as possible. 

the ratio is currently 7 NI starters... was it ever six??

Again, it's a numbers thing. If less kids play the sport in HS because Mom is terrified her child will scramble his brains, it won't matter about training better NI's, unfortunately. The talent pool is reduced. 

That’s happened.  Issue becomes the NFL.  The ratio is quite high relative to who plays.  

TBH I think we are at peak football in Canada.  There are a lot of universities who are going to be looking at cutting athletic programs with austere governments reducing core funding and football will be high on the list as it is quite expensive to operate.

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That’s happened.  Issue becomes the NFL.  The ratio is quite high relative to who plays.  

TBH I think we are at peak football in Canada.  There are a lot of universities who are going to be looking at cutting athletic programs with austere governments reducing core funding and football will be high on the list as it is quite expensive to operate.

Insurance will kill the programs, I'm afraid. 

6 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Like Atlantic Canada that just can't compete anymore. 

When the Atlantic team comes in, I wouldn't mind seeing the No of NI starters drop to 6, and increase the active roster by one or two NIs. Young guys still get a chance to play and prove them self, earn spots. Teams can start that 7 and get an extra DI, but they aren't forced into starting someone whose a fringe roster guy. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Insurance will kill the programs, I'm afraid. s

And the Canadian media who are (IMO) just a little too happily zealous when reporting about former CFL players from the 70's who have no idea how to use their smart phones or unable to perform simple tasks  anymore.  Parents read that & don't let their kids play football. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And the Canadian media who are (IMO) just a little too happily zealous when reporting about former CFL players from the 70's who have no idea how to use their smart phones or unable to perform simple tasks  anymore.  Parents read that & don't let their kids play football. 

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don;t have a son, but I'd think long and hard about signing that permission form.

On 2019-03-12 at 5:07 PM, Booch said:

I don't know of too many people who watch because the amount of Canadians...also most I know could care less about ratio if it was reduced..or totally abandoned...and I feel the same way and that's coming from a former "Canadian" by birth player. 

I prefer to see the best players play..regardless of where they are from to be honest, but that being said I would keep the ratio to some extent if it ever came down to a decision, and would be all for a 2 on offence and 2 on defense scenario as you would get the best of the best in the Canadian talent pool. I would also lobby for each team having to carry a minimum of 5 Canadians on their PR to develop.

Don't think it is fair to the ticket buying fans to have to watch players like the Brock Ralphs of the world start on an offence when a stud American who can excite the heck out of a crowd, be cut loose soley due to ratio...grass roots ball would not diminish nor would Usports....it's no different in Hockey when they opened up the draft to Europeans and Russians to get on NHL rosters...hockey in the U.S and Canada didn't wilt because the opportunities to play were lessened..all it did was make the quality of the NHL player exponentially better...and fans in Canada continued to follow their teams...same would happen in football...I would make an extra effort to come see a former Heisman candidate, or ex NCAA star player play than watching an unknown Canadian kid who played CIS ball, and not spectacularly just because he is Canadian

That's him, officer- right over there. Take the shot before he gets away.

Edited by Tracker