Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Hence no reason to pay JSK 140+K

I bet we get same type of production from Wilson..maybe not as many sacks as I think the Jeff's will gobble up a lot..but I bet a 80 to 90 tackles..couple picks and a forced fumble or two to go with Biggies production will be just fine..

On 2019-03-16 at 8:27 PM, Noeller said:

The entire front 7 is gonna be a load. I think Wilson will be a bit of a revelation on the weak side... 

Not holding my breath on Wilson, 3rd camp up here Id be kind of surprised if he emerged all of a sudden. 

That said I feel like wlb is not a hard spot to fill when you have a MLBer like bighill to play next to. I wouldn't be surprised to see us rotate that spot more than ever before. We always carry a lot of lbers, And it's even easier to find guys with a single strong area of play (pass rushing, coverage, tackle box scraping etc) and filling the role by committee.  

I feel like this would have been a great chance to move some guys around from previous years (loffler to wil for instance) but Im sure we will fill the spot with quality. I wouldnt be surprised if we see one of the NI Sts guys we are loaded with step into a larger role with a good chunk of the wil reps.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Not holding my breath on Wilson, 3rd camp up here Id be kind of surprised if he emerged all of a sudden. 

So how do you emerge in your 2nd year when you're behind Bighill and Santos-Knox? Coaches said before they got bighill he was an option in the middle and when JSK was hurt Wilson looked OK. I think you're selling him short based on circumstances. 

Count me in as someone not concerned about our WIL position with the rest of that front 7. Pretty happy with how our secondary is shaping up too.

Should have a great defense this year and that will be good enough to win a lot of games. Look at how many games Sask won last year with less of an offense than what we currently have. And now we have Willie Jefferson

Love that Nevis is back. That D-line is going to be insanely fun to watch.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/03/16/special-place-special-city-nevis-re-signs-winnipeg/

“It’s a blessing to be back in a place where the people all have the same mindset and that is to make that locker room better. It’s a special place in a special city.”

“The pieces to the puzzle are there,” said Nevis. “Getting (Jefferson)… man, that room is packed to the max with talent, with football IQ and determination. That’s a good group. It’s going to be fun.”

I got a feeling that they will diminish the NI starting spots to 6 when the 10th CFL team is confirmed. Teams will protect 6 NI starters in the expansion  draft so in essence they’ll be giving away their 7th NI starter.

If that will be the agreement, and it happens (10th CFL team) I think Im OK with that.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bombers to host Florida-based FA camp in April:

It’s anticipated that about 25-30 contracted rookies will be at camp, while another 10-15 will be working out with the possibility of a contract being offered. Plan is to have up to 15 receivers in Florida for this two day camp. - Darren Cameron

Camp will consist of all first-year players and be run by Head Coach Mike O’Shea and the club’s coordinators. GM Kyle Walters and assistant GM’s will also be in attendance

Edited by Mr Dee

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I hope we find someone to push him though. He needs to take his game to the next level this year.

If he didn't get hurt last year, he was on track to take the starting job from a supposed All Star......he's very very good.

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If he didn't get hurt last year, he was on track to take the starting job from a supposed All Star......he's very very good.

I'm cheering for Jones...  but 3 NI REC, 3 NI OL, Harris... 

That could mean...

Rose-Sayles-Fenner-Alexander-Humes(?)

Walters et al can recruit American DBs - I'm sure we'll have a couple good ones emerge in camp

On 2019-03-17 at 10:05 PM, 17to85 said:

So how do you emerge in your 2nd year when you're behind Bighill and Santos-Knox? Coaches said before they got bighill he was an option in the middle and when JSK was hurt Wilson looked OK. I think you're selling him short based on circumstances. 

3rd year and atleast 2 full camps, JSK wasnt JSK at the start of the year he emerged. The opportunity has been there for him. There was also talk of gauz (sp?) and a couple others who didnt pan out.  

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎14 at 6:37 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah... estimated Canadian population - 37.06 million (2018, according to google), USA - 327.02 million (according to google). Not only that, the differences in weather means in some southern states you can play football longer. As for loopholes... if we're just making rules with the intention of them being bypassed anyways, what's the point?

I always found the CFL draft particularly hilarious... you want to pick football players who's dreams will (most likely) be crushed. The ideal draft pick is someone just good enough to be a stud in the CFL, but bad enough NFL teams won't pick them up. Too good and you end up with a player that never plays a snap for your team... too bad, and well, you end up with Kito Poblah.

Why hate on Kito? The guy is an athlete. He's a Winnipeger, and has a football training business as well.