Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

Okay, so the off season officially begins now that the Grey Cup is over. Lots of topics for discussion in the months to come with the Bombers & the League. A new CBA needs to be negotiated sooner rather than later.  Will there be an eventual agreement or a lockout? How much will the salary cap go up? Randy Ambrosie is on record that wants the cap to significantly go up so that is a positive.  Will Bo Levi Mitchell sign with an NFL or perhaps another CFL team? What about Mike Reilly & Trevor Harris who are also free agents? There's a new start up league called the  AAFL & there are legit concerns that it'll draw star CFL players away or hamper free agent signings with CFL teams. Coaching changes in BC & Toronto. The continuing evolving story of the expansion Halifax Schooners & possible exhibition games in Mexico. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

They will get the new cba hammered out. Players aren’t getting their offseason bonuses until the deal is signed and with the new leagues starting up owners actually have motivation to give more to the players.   It will take some time but I think it gets done in January.

That actually is pretty fast. January is 5 weeks away. I don't think it gets done that quickly. Hopefully before free agency. 

25 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

DOn't we normally have two threads? One for the league off season and one for the Bombers off season?

One size fits all, I guess.  Seems like a no brainer to me. One discussion thread for everything. But if someone feels we should have a Blue Bomber off season discussion thread then feel free to start one. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One size fits all, I guess.  Seems like a no brainer to me. One discussion thread for everything. But if someone feels we should have a Blue Bomber off season discussion thread then feel free to start one. 

I dunno, having to sift through all the other teams' **** to check out the bombers stuff seems to be a chore. I guess if it gets to kooky, we can split the thread later... though that Might be a lot of work for the mods. 

14 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I dunno, having to sift through all the other teams' **** to check out the bombers stuff seems to be a chore. I guess if it gets to kooky, we can split the thread later... though that Might be a lot of work for the mods. 

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

yes mods please split thread into two or more

Nyoo2ak.gif

OK going to get this started. I live in Calgary and have had business corporate season tickets for a number of years. Part of my marketing budget - not a Stamps Fan by any stretch of the imagination! However I do rub elbows with a number of folks that are true die hard Stamps fans (we still are friends for some reason). So chatting after the cup at lunch today and rumor (and I did see this over on the Riders site) is that their DC - Devone Claybrooks has some interest down south with one or two NFL teams. Just rumor and speculation but these guys I am talking to seem to know a few things around the internal workings with the Stamps. 

Maybe he is afraid of the Winnipeg Canadian Mafia? :)

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Curious to know what happens if there is no new CBA before FA? How can you attract and sign players without being able to pay bonuses?

That's the hill Ambrosie is going to die on if the players don't sign the CBA fast.  Teams will start working around his decree, the BOG will lose confidence in him and he'll quietly be pushed out like Orridge.

Heard from a friend that does legal work locally for a player agent that lots of jokes being made at Ambrosie's expense during Grey Cup week and level of respect for him dropping rapidly.  Comparisons of Ambrosie to Trump in terms of ignorance and another joke about the irony of him being the guy having to deny the link between football and CTE.