Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

21 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I was thinking that Charles Nelson and Wolotarsky might be the slots.  

I hope Nelson either makes it big with the club or is cut early, so I can forget about him completely or have a better frame of reference for him, because right now I hear that name and all I can think is:

Image result for charles nelson

17 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

2019-03-07    
WPG    OPARAKU, Chinedu    LB    I    Fairmont State    Add To    Active Roster

I believe we have him last year 

He was, I cant imagine mitch zalnasky trying to say that name. 

TIDBITS - CJOB Special. (Shorthand version)

Walters

Moving on from Dressler

Flanders - want more return ability - will see.

Matthews - he’s focused on NFL, but ‘could’ end up here.

O’Shea - regrets losing ‘good’ people, football and otherwise.

Jefferson will fit right in. Intrigued to see him play. 

Ultra competitive West. 

Negotiations- players will work hard to get what they want. Better partnership and communication now.

Couture ready? Yes. Gray will compete. No doubt OL can be as good. TC will determine who’s who and where they play.

Streveler- expand his roll..still Matt’s team. 

Augustine - will have to work on ST & protection. Will be competition 

2 spots open on Rec. 

Petermann & Simonize - both improved.

Knox to Wilson. Wilson was slated for MLB.

Mexican player in camp? Looking at it.

Globalization- to improve revenue streams. Likes the big thinking.

Nichols knee injury? Into good training. No knee concerns. Wants to be more consistent. 

Harris - doesn’t know where the money’s coming from when asked of teams signing Free Agents.

Brown & Tait - negotiations? Brown brings up a fund for injuries.

Tait - guranteed contracts? No go. Pie is too small. 

Sask. - Tait says it all depends on Collaros...otherwise - yeesh

Brown says they’re going to be terrible and hopes they’re terrible.

1 hour ago, Nolby said:

Very smart football player but age and injuries have caught up to him big time and we need a consistent receiving core.

It's too bad that Dress couldn't be added to our coaching ranks in some capacity....With the new regs. and limits on coaching staff that would be out the window....Bad timing...I guess the yahoos over there in greenland will now be chomping at the bit, to have him retire a green guy and add him to their hall of shame  

6 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

that will be a disadvantage to us, if that happens. we have a poor US scouting compared to other teams.

I'd argue the only American players we can't seem to find with the same success as other teams is at receiver. We do a pretty good job digging up DB's (Walker, Alexander), LB's (Santos-Knox), even RB's (Marshall, Flanders) since Walters took over.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Couture ready? - I think a lot of people down play the amount of in game time he saw last year. He played, a lot, and played well. The bigger question for me is who wins, Gray or Foketi?

Couture has dressed for 54 games...sure first year he didn't see field much, but the last 2 years has has seen significant reps so he is more than ready...his only real kock was size when he first entered league, but has added about 20lbs if not more since....so size is no longer an issue

Keep the ratio where it is.  It dropped from 10 starters to 7 and then down to 6.  It should NEVER drop any lower unless the league expanded to 12 or more teams.  It is the CANADIAN Football League and it needs to have as many Canadian roster spots as possible. 

Most domestic leagues around the world have rules for the number of starter spots and roster spots for its players.  It help promotes the sport within the country - both from a developmental and commercial perspective.  

It is short-sighted and lazy to lower the ratio and "let the best men play" as it will discourage participation and development of football players at the lower levels.  This will in turn lead to fewer quality players being available to make the jump to the pros...in turn, this leads to demands for a lower ratio and the cycle continues...This  doesn't even factor in reduced interest from the Canadian audience with fewer Canadian players in the league.  Reduced TV and live attendance are likely to follow.