Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

2 hours ago, Jerry1377 said:

Why hate on Kito? The guy is an athlete. He's a Winnipeger, and has a football training business as well.

No hate for Kito here. Just sadness that he was never close to being the athlete he was supposed to be. A totally wasted draft pick.

2 hours ago, Jerry1377 said:

Why hate on Kito? The guy is an athlete. He's a Winnipeger, and has a football training business as well.

No hate, just a belief that one of the defining characteristics of a pro receiver is the ability to catch the ball.  It's the thing that's supposed to separate him from the Blue Bomber's accountant.

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/03/21/qa-gm-kyle-walters-2/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some good stuff here from Taiter...give him a click. Worth the read....

Always worth the read!

Thanks for that.

One of my fav parts:

We’ll watch some film with them, get them on the board. There are certain guys you interview… I remember Sukh (Chungh). The interview was fine and then once the film went on we saw him lean forward and his eyes light up as he talked about smashing guys. We knew then that this guy loved it.

Damn I miss him already.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Paying an offensive guard that kind of $$$ because he's Canadian is just all kinds of stupid. Canadian OL are always overpaid. That's the whole problem with the structure of the salary cap.

A Canadian OT of Stanley Bryant's calibre, capable of locking down his position, there it might be warranted

But we don't seem to see too many Canadian tackles anymore. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

A Canadian OT of Stanley Bryant's calibre, capable of locking down his position, there it might be warranted

But we don't seem to see too many Canadian tackles anymore. 

Not many Canadians can't play tackle at the CFL level. Coaches & GMs don't want their prize investment broken in two. 

On 2019-03-14 at 6:37 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah... estimated Canadian population - 37.06 million (2018, according to google), USA - 327.02 million (according to google). Not only that, the differences in weather means in some southern states you can play football longer. As for loopholes... if we're just making rules with the intention of them being bypassed anyways, what's the point?

I always found the CFL draft particularly hilarious... you want to pick football players who's dreams will (most likely) be crushed. The ideal draft pick is someone just good enough to be a stud in the CFL, but bad enough NFL teams won't pick them up. Too good and you end up with a player that never plays a snap for your team... too bad, and well, you end up with Kito Poblah.

Except Poblech was a supplemental pick.. even worse. 

yeah I looking for an expanded role for him and big things...He has the tools and the toolkit to be a ratio breaker type receiver in the fact that he almost appears to be an import talent physically and visually wrapped in a nice Canadian shell

Edited by Booch

We could start the season trying it..especially if Simonese shows he is a guy who can play side..stretch the defense..work across the middle at mid depth...and play a wait and see if we can land an NFL reject, or if we can't land say a Mathews before then..If we don't get him I can't see us throwing any money at whats left out there..we will go with what we recruit.

Adams,Demski, Woli, Simonese and whomever grabs that other import spot..be it Washington/Thompkins or Nelson as incumbents isn't end of world....or replace incumbent with a recruit who jumps off the page can work with Harris. Thompkins if actually used consistantly can give us what Dress did, if not more and be more durable and has more size

For some reason I have a gut feeling that him, as well as Washington could be legit 2nd year guys who can give us options and anywhere from 600 to 1000 yards if we don't dink and dunk all year

I'm not expecting much from Thompkins.

TBH I think there's a better chance of Simonise and/or Petermann taking a big step this season if given the opportunity, much like Wolitarsky did.  I like the versatility in the non-imports we have too, especially Wolitarsky and Petermann, those two could line up anywhere and get it done.  I don't expect Simonise to see much action inside but he has everything you want in raw talent for a boundary WR.   Demski has his role as a playmaker, I wouldn't even call him a receiver necessarily.

I think Nelson could be a good slot too.

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not expecting much from Thompkins.

TBH I think there's a better chance of Simonise and/or Petermann taking a big step this season if given the opportunity, much like Wolitarsky did.  I like the versatility in the non-imports we have too, especially Wolitarsky and Petermann, those two could line up anywhere and get it done.  I don't expect Simonise to see much action inside but he has everything you want in raw talent for a boundary WR.   Demski has his role as a playmaker, I wouldn't even call him a receiver necessarily.

I think Nelson could be a good slot too.

This and wait for a proven cfl commodity to be cut from the nfl the with cap space available.   We should be fine.