D for Disaster (not D Fence)

BigBlue

When the game was over I first thought, that was very good, quite entertaining and tracked what I discussed at the beginning of the game day thread ... but then:

I started  to think. We just gave up 500 yards of offence in a monsoon.

At character time at games end, we stuck to a script of blitzing two almost every down. Reilly knew it and he just sat back and picked us apart throwing to the blitzers' vacated turf ... two of the easiest drives of the game and all the games work vaporizes in smoke

Sheesh!

Edited by BigBlue

This is one of those things people are going to use to harp on you about how you make too many threads.

This could easily fit in any post game discussion thread. You haven’t even created anything of substance here. You have four sentences, one fact and one thought.

I’ll share my thoughts though, since I don’t feel like being the guy who comes in here just to tell you what a grave mistake you’ve made ... our D looked predictable and unfortunately, it was being outcoached that did us in from what I saw ... didn’t catch the whole game, but I saw the end and it’s a classic case of being far too predictable in your schemes and trying to go to the well too many times. Might work against a Streveler ... not against a Reilly

There are some things in life that just don't make any sense. There are things we can't explain or understand, no matter how hard we try.

There are events that seem to have no reason and mistakes that appear to bring no lesson. There's darkness that can feel completely unbearable and light that can seem far too fleeting to trust. One day's happiness gives way to tomorrow's sadness. One day's loss is tomorrow's gain.

The challenges give the victories a greater sense of meaning. The pain gives us a greater sense of appreciation for the pleasure.

With over 500 yds. passing against...I think Ritchie needs a talking to...The personnel has changed but it appears not the schemes...With a stouter D this game could have been won...bad weather and all..Covering kicks is also a problem ….although we never had one returned for six like they did, they were sure getting a lot of yardage on poor tackling and everyone of their returns looked like an adventure on our part....Are we out kicking the coverage???  Randle island sunk (or stunk) on that td to start the game...not good enough

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

There are some things in life that just don't make any sense. There are things we can't explain or understand, no matter how hard we try.

There are events that seem to have no reason and mistakes that appear to bring no lesson. There's darkness that can feel completely unbearable and light that can seem far too fleeting to trust. One day's happiness gives way to tomorrow's sadness. One day's loss is tomorrow's gain.

The challenges give the victories a greater sense of meaning. The pain gives us a greater sense of appreciation for the pleasure.

giphy.gif

Disaster? I thought it was a great game. Bombers are exactly what I thought they were, a really, really solid team.

Your OC didn't help the rook when he needed it most; on the second to last  last series. He needed a couple of high % plays there. A run would have helped. Your D will continue to give up big plays as long as Gaitor remains in your secondary.

That’s the best quarback in league he is going to do that to teams in this league. Unlike last year there were no busts in coverage he threw it they made plays. If they make a couple plays on the ball it’s a different. People forget how great a QB Reilly is coupled with two recievers that can just go over top of guys it’s a leathal combo. Willy does not get 250 yards next week.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

With over 500 yds. passing against...I think Ritchie needs a talking to...The personnel has changed but it appears not the schemes...With a stouter D this game could have been won...bad weather and all..Covering kicks is also a problem ….although we never had one returned for six like they did, they were sure getting a lot of yardage on poor tackling and everyone of their returns looked like an adventure on our part....Are we out kicking the coverage???  Randle island sunk (or stunk) on that td to start the game...not good enough

Randle had solid coverage on that TD, misplayed it in the air.  It is what it is.  

I was pretty angry watching the game., but I had just come from a brutal city finals playoff where another coach almost had it out with our team. LOL

Streveler showed poise. We were hurt by a bunch of things. 

1) Special teams --- not sure what happened on the medlock fg kick, but that set us back. Same with some big returns.

2) Defense ---- too many 2nd and long conversions.  Too many times they had reilly tied up and couldn't get him to the ground

3) Proulx ---- sorry, but the fact the game went long is NOT a reason to put the damn whistles down. Many blatant holds among other things Edmonton should have been called for and had drives pulled back. Wasn't just one, was multiple. 

Ultimately though if the D can't seal the deal (and I think we have huge improvement there) we won't pull these ones off. No one expected us to be in this one at all, let alone be leading with a minute left. 

Bighill is a beast. Flying over the line. Huge pickup. 

I think you could point to a dozen things that lead to the loss. The glaring one being the D but it's not the only reason they lost. Reilly played amazing last night. Not many QBs are going to be able to break containment against us like he can. He is a big dude with strong legs and tack on the rain he's going to be hard to take down. The run D is pretty solid IMO. The secondary is still the scary part. Maybe it's first game jitters and learning to gel.......

4 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I think you could point to a dozen things that lead to the loss. The glaring one being the D but it's not the only reason they lost. Reilly played amazing last night. Not many QBs are going to be able to break containment against us like he can. He is a big dude with strong legs and tack on the rain he's going to be hard to take down. The run D is pretty solid IMO. The secondary is still the scary part. Maybe it's first game jitters and learning to gel.......

Agreed Reilly put on a show, pretty hard to fault the DB's or Hall on those bombs as he placed the ball almost perfectly and his receivers made some beautiful catches.  Could be the best group of receivers in the league and they still have Mitchell and Kriner in reserve. 

The difference in the D from last year to this year was easy to see.I feel there is a lot of improvement. Not one time was there a wide open Edm receiver that caught a ball for an easy TD. Yes they gave up 400yrds passing but one was a 100yrd strike where Randle missed the knock down, another was a PI call on Gaitor and another was a pass to Stafford (I believe) who had a step on our DB (one of Fogg or Alexander) and beat the DB with a jumping catch. That was probably 200 of the 400 yrds right there. All were situations where the DB and receiver were in a 1 on 1 battle and lost. I'm not saying they played bad, I am saying there were in the right place but simply missed knocking the ball down or lightly touched the receiver and took the PI.  Yes it was a loss but there is a lot of good to build from in that game. Confidence will grow, and everyone will tighten up their game a bit and one of any of those plays mentioned could have got the Blue the W. My 2 cents.

Edited by Firekid

Was just one of those games...our defense will be fine..especially the run defense

We gave up 80 yards last night in a game where running you think would be what a team would want to do condition wise

We ran for 137..so I guess the Edmonton defense is brutally as bad and they will have no hope in hell winning a Cup...

Edited by Booch

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Was just one of those games...or defense will be fine..especially the run defense

We gave up 80 yards last night in a game where running you think would be what a team would want to do condition wise

We ran for 137..so I guess the Edmonton defense is brutally as bad and they will have no hope in hell winning a Cup...

Reilly attempted 47 passes in a monsoon, that's a telling stat.  Harris only caught 3 for 6, that's another, he usually feeds on the Esks. secondary.

54 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Just to clarify, the field goal debacle was due to the wet field. The tip of the ball was placed on the ground and then it slipped back. Was a bobble or bad snap. Just shitty luck. I actually thought Medlock made a great play by not kicking it and giving Ross a chance to make a play.

It wasn't a long FG attempt, I think Medlock should have just followed through and not been so persnickety about the hold.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

If the even just went for the point after the Fogg TD. It’s a 9 point game they onside after last TD even with a two and out they have to go extra 20-30 yards. Or if they had that field position they probably run it.

I think that had more to do with the field basically being a big puddle at that point, going for 2.

Overall....is actually is better.....beaten by a great QB, who got some big-time catches. from talented R corps.   There weren't any massive busts, in the coverage.  Fogg and Alexander held up pretty good on that side....but Gaitor got roughed up quite a bit.   The distressing part is not making the stops in crunch time, and losing like that.....