Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I work in the Cannabis industry, the legal one! I'm not a dealer lol. Anway, has it been confirmed that he was crossing an international border or had? He could have been boarding a plane in Saskatoon to go somewhere else in Canada, is why I'm asking. If he did go international, for sure smuggling charges and he's a dumb ****. If not, for a possession charge to stick he would have to have a decent amount on him. Though that might be different with it being in an airport.
As for his WPG charge, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he had cocaine. Just a guess but I don't know why they wouldn't say it was cannabis if that's what it was. His previous charge could also be playing a role  in his most recent arrest.

Either way I love it! **** YOU DURON! 

Too late!! He has ****** himself!

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Yes I can. CFL teams can cut ties with a player at any time - all they have to do is cut him.

If not, then the Als can also be fined for cutting Darian Durant.

Who gets to decide the difference between the two scenarios?

The League Office & Randy Ambrosie. He's not clueless like Jeff Orridge was. You don't think that when a CFL star is cut after one year he won't know? Then there's social media with guys like Justin Dunk & other media members posting stories that so & so has a tryout with the Bills, Dolphins, Jets or other NFL teams. It'd be hard for teams to hide it. They'll comply. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

With Carter i tgink the fact the Winnipeg charge has been kept under wraps till now leads one to believe it possibly a more serious charge/offence and that a) he never told the riders of it or (b) they did find out and they themselves were trying to hide it..which would be a standard grease ball Jones move.

Anyway wonder what he was doing here at that date anyway which is kinda curious.. and also wonder if riders knew prior to resigning him if they would have...

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

my everlasting memory of Federkeil is him whining when we signed Stanley Bryant, saying that shitty teams have to poach from others. Have hated him since. 

Ditto. He can eat all the turds.

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

Tell me what you think of Vernon Adams

Nice guy. Tries hard. Loves the game.

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ugh Hughes in Saskatchewan makes me dread listening to Suitor this season.   Over the last many years the guy can not stop babbling about Hughes non stop whenever Calgary played.... this will only amplify the level of annoying so much greater. 

The Riders remind me of ambulance chasers. They sign everyone they can. Why am I not surprised they made a deal for him.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Ugh Hughes in Saskatchewan makes me dread listening to Suitor this season.   Over the last many years the guy can not stop babbling about Hughes non stop whenever Calgary played.... this will only amplify the level of annoying so much greater. 

Would like to see Hughes and Jefferson v Jeffcoat and  Okpalungo 

10 hours ago, Mark F said:

little story: I was once driving through Wpg beach at night, in the middle of winter, on my way to Gimli, with my friend.  We were probably 19 years old.

Stopped by two policeman.

My friend chewed gum a lot, and used to wad the tinfoil wrapper into a little ball, kept it in his pocket. I guess we had to empty our pockets, and cops were sure they had a bust for some drugs.

neither of us did any kind of drugs, so no bust, but they searched every inch of that car. under hood, trunk, seats floor. It was actually funny.

Cops in Winnipeg Beach, eh? It's entirely possible they were just on a slow shift... pulled you two over because it was something to do.

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

Police in Alberta are not going to be charging people with  over .08. That's a criminal offence, but they have discretion whether or not to charge;

and they are not going to be applying that law.

Provincial attorney general/Police/prosecutors  have wide discretion about who and what to charge. Which offences are priority.

little story: I was once driving through Wpg beach at night, in the middle of winter, on my way to Gimli, with my friend.  We were probably 19 years old.

Stopped by two policeman.

My friend chewed gum a lot, and used to wad the tinfoil wrapper into a little ball, kept it in his pocket. I guess we had to empty our pockets, and cops were sure they had a bust for some drugs.

neither of us did any kind of drugs, so no bust, but they searched every inch of that car. under hood, trunk, seats floor. It was actually funny.

The old punchline states that your friend refuses to provide his name, and gives the cop the foil ball. He then says: "You don't need my name; this silver bullet will tell you everything you need to know about who I am." (Oldster alert)

21 hours ago, Mark F said:

Police in Alberta are not going to be charging people with  over .08. That's a criminal offence, but they have discretion whether or not to charge;

and they are not going to be applying that law.  Provincial attorney general/Police/prosecutors  have wide discretion about who and what to charge. Which offences are priority.

little story: I was once driving through Wpg beach at night, in the middle of winter, on my way to Gimli, with my friend.  We were probably 19 years old.  Stopped by two policemen. My friend chewed gum a lot, and used to wad the tinfoil wrapper into a little ball, kept it in his pocket. I guess we had to empty our pockets, and cops were sure they had a bust for some drugs. neither of us did any kind of drugs, so no bust, but they searched every inch of that car. under hood, trunk, seats floor. It was actually funny.

FYI: I am not sure if your statement about police having a great discretion deal of  discretion about charging drivers who blow over .08 is accurate. For one thing, you can be under .08 and still be charged/convicted, and the same applies if you are not even behind the wheel . Refusing to provide a breath sample is also an offence. Being wrecked on other MAS's is also going to get you in trouble.

Edited by tracker

1 hour ago, tracker said:

FYI: I am not sure if your statement about police having a great discretion deal of  discretion about charging drivers who blow over .08 is accurate. For one thing, you can be under .08 and still be charged/convicted, and the same applies if you are not even behind the wheel . Refusing to provide a breath sample is also an offence. Being wrecked on other MAS's is also going to get you in trouble.

Changes are coming to the way drunk drivers are policed and prosecuted in Alberta with the provincial government set to issue a directive to police that will largely decriminalize impaired driving, CBC News has learned. 

Officers will be given wide discretion whether to criminally charge those who blow over the legal limit. But, for the most part, first time offenders will see roadside administrative sanctions rather than face criminal charges according to CBC sources.

The model Alberta is working toward looks much like British Columbia's, with fines, roadside towing and licence suspensions issued by police instead of criminal charges being laid.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/drunk-driving-laws-decriminalize-2018-changes-police-licence-1.4468021

well, that's what alberta /bc are doing. not here I guess.

Edited by Mark F
link added

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

DWI charges are hybrid- both a summary and a criminal offence. Summary offenses are provincial charges and in Manitoba fall under the Highway Traffic Act, but the criminal charges are federal and must be changed by Parliament. Alberta may change their equivalent of our Highway Traffic Act, but since the criminal charge fall under federal law, I'm not sure  how that is going to work there. Provinces govern driver and vehicle licensing so if convicted, you could still go to jail but still keep your license.

3 hours ago, tracker said:

DWI charges are hybrid- both a summary and a criminal offence. Summary offenses are provincial charges and in Manitoba fall under the Highway Traffic Act, but the criminal charges are federal and must be changed by Parliament. Alberta may change their equivalent of our Highway Traffic Act, but since the criminal charge fall under federal law, I'm not sure  how that is going to work there. Provinces govern driver and vehicle licensing so if convicted, you could still go to jail but still keep your license.

Hybrid - can proceed by indictment or summarily.  They are criminal code charges (federal) and are not ever "provincial".   .08 and drive while impaired are criminal code charges but law is administered provinically. 

On 2/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, Booch said:

With Carter i tgink the fact the Winnipeg charge has been kept under wraps till now leads one to believe it possibly a more serious charge/offence and that a) he never told the riders of it or (b) they did find out and they themselves were trying to hide it..which would be a standard grease ball Jones move.

Anyway wonder what he was doing here at that date anyway which is kinda curious.. and also wonder if riders knew prior to resigning him if they would have...

Bet that's why he never got a suitable offer from the NFL. He was complaining about having to run a 40. More like he was scared to pee in a cup.