Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Why are they busting people for pot when its about to become legal?  if anyone follows San Fran's lead, it just creates work later when they over turn it.

The entire purpose of a police force is to enforce the legislation that is currently in effect, they can't speculate on when, or if marijuana legalization will get punched through. Obviously, legalization is likely going to happen, as it stands right now though, it is illegal.

In football, would you get mad if a referee didn't let a team have their 2nd challenge in a game, because he knew that the next week the CFL was going to announce that each team was limited to one challenge? What if he was pretty sure they were going to change the rule say, 5 months from then?

Just now, Eternal optimist said:

The entire purpose of a police force is to enforce the legislation that is currently in effect, they can't speculate on when, or if marijuana legalization will get punched through. Obviously, legalization is likely going to happen, as it stands right now though, it is illegal.

In football, would you get mad if a referee didn't let a team have their 2nd challenge in a game, because he knew that the next week the CFL was going to announce that each team was limited to one challenge? What if he was pretty sure they were going to change the rule say, 5 months from then?

You're correct ofcourse.  But it's lame.  And his lawyer should simply delay until the summer and have the case tossed.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I guarantee even after they make pot legal, it will still be an offence to bring "unauthorized pot" into the country through an airport.

100 percent right.  He didn’t get found smoking a joint on a patio. He was found transporting a controlled substance across an international border.  You’d be in **** doing the same with alcohol or tobacco.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

As per the Duron Carter why they would charge him,  I can't speak for this particular incident.     Sometimes people can be unruly and very disrespectful to the police and at that point they will find anything to charge the jerk off merely to teach them a lesson.   For example if the police pull you over for a routine car check and you are nice and co-operate they will most likely let you go.   If you are a complete ass hat to them and act like you are king ****.... more then likely you will be getting a no seat belt ticket and whatever else they can find

There used to be a charge of "being an idiot under the Trucker's Act" or "drunk and refused to fight" that were go-to reasons to spend a night a guest of Her Majesty.

Police in Alberta are not going to be charging people with  over .08. That's a criminal offence, but they have discretion whether or not to charge;

and they are not going to be applying that law.

Provincial attorney general/Police/prosecutors  have wide discretion about who and what to charge. Which offences are priority.

little story: I was once driving through Wpg beach at night, in the middle of winter, on my way to Gimli, with my friend.  We were probably 19 years old.

Stopped by two policeman.

My friend chewed gum a lot, and used to wad the tinfoil wrapper into a little ball, kept it in his pocket. I guess we had to empty our pockets, and cops were sure they had a bust for some drugs.

neither of us did any kind of drugs, so no bust, but they searched every inch of that car. under hood, trunk, seats floor. It was actually funny.

Just now, Mark F said:

Police in Alberta are not going to be charging people with  over .08. That's a criminal offence, but they have discretion whether or not to charge;

and they are not going to be applying that law.

Provincial attorney general/Police/prosecutors  have wide discretion about who and what to charge. Which offences are priority.

little story: I was once driving through Wpg beach at night, in the middle of winter, on my way to Gimli, with my friend.  We were probably 19 years old.

Stopped by two policeman.

My friend chewed gum a lot, and used to wad the tinfoil wrapper into a little ball, kept it in his pocket. I guess we had to empty our pockets, and cops were sure they had a bust for some drugs.

neither of us did any kind of drugs, so no bust, but they searched every inch of that car. under hood, trunk, seats floor. It was actually funny.

That's a pretty weak probable cause to search the car.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That's a pretty weak probable cause to search the car.

Yeah, I think you're right, but it's pretty hard to argue with two cops, under those circumstances.

Or any circumstances really.

I thought Ricky Ray would retire. I know many people here thought he wouldn't. It's the Brady effect.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

WOW!  ....and for a sack of beans, no less. That's really interesting. I guess the guy is 34 and has 10 years of wear and tear on the tires...

When I first saw the news, it didn't include what went the other way.   When I heard it was a swap of 4th rounders plus a future 4th round pick, I thought that was really cheap for a guy who has dominated at his position.   Even given his age, he showed this year that he can still play.   I wonder if the Stamps asked him to retire and he declined?   Seems odd for a guy of his stature.