Etch Fired

Jpan85

Wow and it only took them a month and a half to do it.  Things still moving at the speed of light in Winnipeg.

Cause it matters so much considering it's ******* december.....smh

Just goes to show the rampant dysfunction that still exists in the Bomber front office.  Power struggle for a month and a half over firing a coordinator.

Why are you married to this idea that the length of time it took to make the announcement automatically means there was a power struggle?   That's a pretty huge leap, based on complete lack of facts to support that.

It's a bit of a recurring phenomenon in these parts.

If you wear a hat it deters some of the temptation to pull one's hair out.  That's all the help I can offer.

On 1290 radio this afternoon, it was stated that Etchverry was a mentor to O'Shea and O'Shea said that he tried to get Etcheverry to change certain things about the defence but Etchverry was resistant to changes unless ordered to make them, and that was the point of separation between them.

As far as a replacement, Claybrooks and others may be promising but it seems to me that an experienced DC like Richie Hall or Mike Benevides would be better choices- particularly Hall if he becomes available.

I'd much rather we go forward with a guy who can build a great D around great players rather then a coach trying to fit mediocre players on an unproven defensive system.  The fact we have to settle for a guy like Kuale just because he suited Etch's D made absolutely no sense to me.  

This is Christmas coming early and of the two Coordinators I was much more unhappy with Etch because of his track record of mediocrity and their really was no way that his defensive would ever dominate for a full season.  

On 1290 radio this afternoon, it was stated that Etchverry was a mentor to O'Shea and O'Shea said that he tried to get Etcheverry to change certain things about the defence but Etchverry was resistant to changes unless ordered to make them, and that was the point of separation between them.

As far as a replacement, Claybrooks and others may be promising but it seems to me that an experienced DC like Richie Hall or Mike Benevides would be better choices- particularly Hall if he becomes available.

Who said anything about Claybrooks?!?!?  Talk about pulling a name out of nowhere.

Wow and it only took them a month and a half to do it.  Things still moving at the speed of light in Winnipeg.

Just goes to show the rampant dysfunction that still exists in the Bomber front office.  Power struggle for a month and a half over firing a coordinator.

Why are you married to this idea that the length of time it took to make the announcement automatically means there was a power struggle?   That's a pretty huge leap, based on complete lack of facts to support that.

I guess when you leave the fan base twisting in the wind for 7 weeks after the season, it leaves a lot of time for speculation. My bad, I guess. I should just buy my tickets like a good little boy and stop questioning anything the Bombers do.

I guess when you leave the fan base twisting in the wind for 7 weeks after the season, it leaves a lot of time for speculation. My bad, I guess. I should just buy my tickets like a good little boy and stop questioning anything the Bombers do.

Most of the fan base aren't pining away at whether or not our DC or OC are going to be fired or not.  They're actually living their lives and probably forgot about CFL.

The very few of us that do care, are here on this board or another one.

Wow and it only took them a month and a half to do it. Things still moving at the speed of light in Winnipeg.

Just goes to show the rampant dysfunction that still exists in the Bomber front office. Power struggle for a month and a half over firing a coordinator.

Why are you married to this idea that the length of time it took to make the announcement automatically means there was a power struggle? That's a pretty huge leap, based on complete lack of facts to support that.

"Twisting in the wind." Hahaha

You continually find new, idiotic things to complain about.

I'd much rather we go forward with a guy who can build a great D around great players rather then a coach trying to fit mediocre players on an unproven defensive system.  The fact we have to settle for a guy like Kuale just because he suited Etch's D made absolutely no sense to me.  

This is Christmas coming early and of the two Coordinators I was much more unhappy with Etch because of his track record of mediocrity and their really was no way that his defensive would ever dominate for a full season.  

While I don't mind that Etch is gone at all....of our two coordinators both have very mediocre track histories. We can pretty much Gaurantee 45+ sacks against next year with marcel coming back.

Wow and it only took them a month and a half to do it. Things still moving at the speed of light in Winnipeg.

Just goes to show the rampant dysfunction that still exists in the Bomber front office. Power struggle for a month and a half over firing a coordinator.

Why are you married to this idea that the length of time it took to make the announcement automatically means there was a power struggle? That's a pretty huge leap, based on complete lack of facts to support that.

I'm surprised he didn't say something like "the weeping and gnashing of teeth".  Gotta throw some biblical references in there to feel the gravity of the situation.  HOW DARE THEY WAIT THIS LONG TO TELL US!!!!

Or it shows a management team that has sat down and made a joint decision allowing time for contemplation, discussion and decision. View it as you will.

I'm surprised he didn't say something like "the weeping and gnashing of teeth".  Gotta throw some biblical references in there to feel the gravity of the situation.  HOW DARE THEY WAIT THIS LONG TO TELL US!!!!

AND THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

I have zero problem with them taking their time. Knee jerks to appease the fans reek of desperation. 

It looks like they did their homework, evaluated things, and then sat down with Etch and gave him his walking papers. 

I also dont buy this "losing out on others if we wait" stuff. 

Its a small league -- if there was a rock star coming available for the job the club would have initiated preliminary talks with him months ago. 

I would hope the club has been talking to Cortez. My guess is we have and simply can't afford him. 

The reality of the situation is such that we simply weren’t good enough on the defensive side of the football this season, and felt that we needed to go in a different direction in this regard

MOS pretty well summed this up:

We need less robbing of Peter to pay Paul.  You win with fundamentals, not gimmicks and gimcricks.  Once other teams started putting in max protection schemes, far too many guys in the back end, were hung out to dry, in terms of iso and angles on gap cancellation.

This move just had to be done.  Period.

Believe what you want but i gotta say the way it was handled seemed complete and fair to the nth.

Evaluate…talk…propose changes…make decisions.

It took time. So what.

And as to power struggles…abstract twittering. (a new phrase)

The Coach, with discussion and support, made this decision.

As it should be.

Lemmings Atomic. That's all they are. Can't question because you're not loyal. Can't ask why things are taking so long because you're impatient. Some fans would jump off a 500 meter cliff if Walters told them so just because Walters told them so. Relax he'd say, you'll land on your feet. Won't hurt a bit. They'd believe him. I'm just glad the guy is gone so we can move forward with a coach who can actually build a defense. Besides, like the majority of us didn't think it would end this way? 

You're assuming facts not in evidence. A couple of tweets from the media doesn't mean there was a power struggle. And just because the announcement was made today doesn't mean the decision wasn't made some time ago. In case you didn't hear, DeVone Claybrooks was in town recently for a meeting - note the use of the word "was", as in past tense. They wouldn't have met with Claybrooks if they hadn't already made the decision to let Etch go.

Lemmings Atomic. That's all they are. Can't question because you're not loyal. Can't ask why things are taking so long because you're impatient. Some fans would jump off a 500 meter cliff if Walters told them so just because Walters told them so. Relax he'd say, you'll land on your feet. Won't hurt a bit. They'd believe him. I'm just glad the guy is gone so we can move forward with a coach who can actually build a defense. Besides, like the majority of us didn't think it would end this way? 

There are so many strawmen in this paragraph you're going to have buy some farm land.

Nobody, literally nobody, is saying you "can't question" the team or franchise.

There are so many strawmen in this paragraph you're going to have buy some farm land.

Can't question? With the kool aid drinkers here??? Sure. Where have you been the past 6 weeks? Anytime anyone asked anything about the Bombers & the status of the coaching staff, in particular the coordinators... they were put down, insulted, mocked & ridiculed... You guys can mock me all you want for saying what I just did  but I feel vindicated as I was against this hiring right from the start & never changed my mind about Etcheverry & that eventually he would be fired. Hate to see anyone lose their job but he was the wrong hire from Day 1.

Who said anything about Claybrooks?!?!?  Talk about pulling a name out of nowhere.

Claybrooks has been mentioned on this forum several times, often facetiously, however.

In fairness Iso, you deserved to be mocked. You've become Nate-like in your world view. Everybody is a koolaid drinking lemming except you (and maybe Atomic). Only you can see things for how they really are.

Yup.. Its been pretty noticeable in the last few seasons.. Almost like he goes out of his way to argue the other side of the equation..

Can't question? With the kool aid drinkers here??? Sure. Where have you been the past 6 weeks? Anytime anyone asked anything about the Bombers & the status of the coaching staff, in particular the coordinators... they were put down, insulted, mocked & ridiculed... You guys can mock me all you want for saying what I just did  but I feel vindicated as I was against this hiring right from the start & never changed my mind about Etcheverry & that eventually he would be fired. Hate to see anyone lose their job but he was the wrong hire from Day 1.

No one is drinking the koolaid.  We're just not as impatient as you are.

For example, as much as I want MB gone, if they do get rid of him, I'm not expecting them to do it seconds after the Grey Cup.

No one is drinking the koolaid.  We're just not as impatient as you are.

For example, as much as I want MB gone, if they do get rid of him, I'm not expecting them to do it seconds after the Grey Cup.

Well, I agree but taking to a week before Xmas?? Anyway, I just felt like ruffling a few feathers on this forum with my comments so no harm no foul. Just glad Etch is gone.