Grey Cup - Game Week Thread

Mark H.

27 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I will not invite bad juju onto this team by suggesting this will be an easy win - it won't be.

Noel Thorpe has that defence playing at an extremely high level and, as many have already noted, playing at this time of year is all about momentum and confidence.  Montreal has that in spades coming off their win in Toronto.

I think this game is going to be closer than people think.  Likely low(er) scoring.  It's going to be about which offence protects the ball (or conversely, which team capitalizes on offensive miscues).

Yup. They are on a 7 game winning streak that has to end at some point. I’m hoping that point is this weekend.

I said we need to neutralize Sankey. He may have just helped.

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup. They are on a 7 game winning streak that has to end at some point. I’m hoping that point is this weekend.

I said we need to neutralize Sankey. He may have just helped.

yeah...but that streak includes wins against CGY...OTT...OTT..EDM..HAM...HAM...big deal

11 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Fajardo or not, this won't be easy. Montreal D feasted on us this year. Buck needs to have some tricks up his sleeve. Hopefully he opens up the playbook.

“Feasted” would be a strong characterization… yes they had 2 pick sixes in the last meeting… but our O also put up 6 TDs against them in that game…

as others have mentioned… the key to winning this game is playing clean on offense and don’t let their defense/ST beat us

The big thing is with the way D's are collapsing on Oliviera, Zach has to call back to his Cincinnati and early pro days with some zone reads, pull the ball out and take the free first down, obviously don't be overly risky on taking hits.  You send everyone vertical and run a Zone Read to Brady...easy yards.  Then you have those boot passes they always run, those are a little more dangerous vs Montreal with the zone blitz stuff.  To me this is a game where it's really run and vertical passing for the offense, depending on conditions, you saw in the WF that neither team could really consistently pass because of how difficult it was to grip the ball in that damp cold right around the freezing mark.  If you need to grind out points that's fine because Montreal's O has no chance of getting them a big lead, but their D can.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

agreed....Our defence is playing much better, and has...all yr long...we shut down an offence that is significantly better than the offence MTL brings.....MTL defence albeit it good.....faced a Hamilton offence, and a T.O offence that was highly over-rated...and now has to face the highest scoring offence...one that has been to the big show now collectively 3 straight yrs...total different animal for them

We play clean, mistake free, and just do what we do best....I can't see a loss...especially considering how last yr ended up

Leading up to this weekend, Mass, Faj and company will milk this us against the world drivel.

Montreal was on a win streak and playing unbeatable defence the last time we played them. And look what happened. I really hope Scheon can play. 

51 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think it comes down to Zach not forcing crazy plays (i.e. turnovers)  and definitely no Prukop special package plays! 

If we get any sort of running production from Brady then things will be good for us.  That lack of any production in the 2nd half from him was concerning. 

I think they were stacking the box pretty hard in the second half.  

9 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

As of right now, it is supposed to be a high of +7 for the game. That should help us.

I do wonder if we went vanilla a little so as not to further injure or further aggravate the injuries that Demski and Bailey were dealing with.

totally did so as either were involved with any runs...which they do often, and also minima backfield motion....all the receivers actually played a pretty plain game

Edited by Booch

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/13/fit-check-winnipeg-blue-bombers-montreal-alouettes-set-uniforms-for-110th-grey-cup/

Coincidentally, Montreal wore their white away jerseys when they hosted the Blue Bombers during the regular season on Canada Day, losing by a score of 17-3.”

”Coincidentally”  no they didn’t. If you’re going to post an article about it at least do any research, 3DN.

🙄

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The parity in this league is at an all time low. 

I think it’s more quality than parity. I mean Edmonton got back into the play off chase. For sure the gap between the top 3 and bottom 6 was big though. At time worst in my life time was probably 2021. It was a one horse race the whole way. 

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

That isn't even what coincidentally means. In the original, or the new version.

Ya they meant incidentally, not coincidentally. But, again, this is what you get with bloggers that think they're real media.

Well, we stopped at the Bombers Store on our way to the airport today... Lots of players rolling in before hitting their bus to the airport. "Grey Cup Winston" asking @Coorsmanfor some help choosing a hat for his dad...ha Ha. Guess his parents are going to be in Ham for the game. Was hoping to see a limber and able walking Biggie but no sign of him... Ha ha. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think it comes down to Zach not forcing crazy plays (i.e. turnovers)  and definitely no Prukop special package plays! 

If we get any sort of running production from Brady then things will be good for us.  That lack of any production in the 2nd half from him was concerning. 

Disturbed they couldn't score when they were 1st and 10 at the Lions 3, that was critical "throat steppin time" and they failed to execute.  The Als saw how the Lions shut down the running game and will duplicate with a stronger front 7, I would hope they leave Zach in until they're at the 1 yd. line next time, giving them more options than a Prukop or Brady run.

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Disturbed they couldn't score when they were 1st and 10 at the Lions 3, that was critical "throat steppin time" and they failed to execute.  The Als saw how the Lions shut down the running game and will duplicate with a stronger front 7, I would hope they leave Zach in until they're at the 1 yd. line next time, giving them more options than a Prukop or Brady run.

Prukop should only ever see the field when he plunges foward. Period. His packages are terrible 

17 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

They couldn't stop Brady in either game in the regular season. Ouellete was at about 5 yards per carry on Saturday.