3 random questions

TrueBlue4ever

Based on topics that came up in this weekend’s games:

1. The Alouettes “dribble kick for a first down” play: like or dislike?

2. If Zach struggles in the WF (and his post-season history suggests a non-zero percent possibility of this) should we consider bringing in Dru Brown to spark the offence, or do we sink or swim with Collaros and let him ride out the rough patch? How much rope does/should Collaros have?

3. Pure hypothetical since none of this may come to pass, but if the Bombers had to pick between having Dru Brown or Chris Streveler on their roster next year, who do you choose?

1. It's objectively dumb, but I love when teams reach deep into the rule books and exploit random junk like this. I expect the rule to be changed in the off season so the kick has to travel at least 10 yards.

2. When have we ever brought in Dru to spark the offence? This is Zach's team. Zero chance.

3. I would prefer Strev as a 1b to Zach, as he is a guy you can throw out there to run his package. Dru is the guy you want if Zach is going to miss a game, but Strev is the guy you want playing with Zach. 

1. Like that the coaches found a way to exploit the rule. Can't see any good way to 'fix' the rule. Gotta go 10 yards means blocked punts have to go 10 yards past the LOS before that kicking team recovers to keep the ball. Right now it's just past the LOS which is why the dribble kick works. 

2. If Zach struggles, we leave him in to right the ship. Dru did well against Calgary who only won 6 games & who didn't pressure him all game long, but that's not a likely WF scenario. 

3. I doubt that either Brown or Steveler will be on the Bombers next year. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

2. If Zach struggles in the WF (and his post-season history suggests a non-zero percent possibility of this) should we consider bringing in Dru Brown to spark the offence, or do we sink or swim with Collaros and let him ride out the rough patch? How much rope does/should Collaros have?

3. Pure hypothetical since none of this may come to pass, but if the Bombers had to pick between having Dru Brown or Chris Streveler on their roster next year, who do you choose?

1 - Dislike needs to go

2 - Define struggle... if we are still in the game and he has done nothing but fumbled and thrown picks and it's the 4th quarter then yes.   Zach will have a long leash though.

3 -  Strev no question about it,  but I don't see him being back next season.   

1....Like.....there isn't enough 'trick plays' attempted by the teams as far as I'm concerned....Livens the game up BUT as what has already been said....it has to go 10 yds. to be recovered

2....Not the final, but in the Cup last year, we could have used a little different look with Brown, especially knowing Zack wasn't 100 percent..Keeps the opposition off balance using a tandem of excellent quarterbacks 

3...I believe either one of Brown or Streveler will be on our roster next year....Have a feeling that Brown is going to be offered big coin that we can't match which leads me to think Streve will be our back-up

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

1 - Dislike needs to go

2 - Define struggle... if we are still in the game and he has done nothing but fumbled and thrown picks and it's the 4th quarter then yes.   Zach will have a long leash though.

3 -  Strev no question about it,  but I don't see him being back next season.   

Strev will.be in Canada next yr...98.98768 percent here

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

1. It's objectively dumb, but I love when teams reach deep into the rule books and exploit random junk like this. I expect the rule to be changed in the off season so the kick has to travel at least 10 yards.

All the rule has to be is that the recovered kick is like any play from scrimmage....so you need to gain the yardage for a first down.  Pull the play on 2nd and 10, gain 2 yards, then it's 3rd and 8 for example.

1, I’ll take any flavour in cfl play call. 

2, yes highly unprobable but it could happen. Probably take 2 or 3 pick 6s or a ton of turn overs or complete in ability to move the ball til late and some how still being in the game. It is probably the least likely thing to happen. 

3, streveler is the better win now option. Can’t pay brown competitive money to sit on the bench where as streveler can contribute or the offence plenty as qb2. 

I'd take dru and strev over just Zach cuz no way we can afford Zach plus brown or strev but we probably could make brown and strev work cap wise but I'm a cold hearted prick who only cares about winning and the future and not the past especially In sports. 

Eventually u gonna have to transition to a younger core group... as a cold hearted prick, I think this off season might be time. We hosting 2025. Some of our guys don't got 2 seasons in them still. 

Edited by Goalie

In all honesty/reality...we don't know what we can afford or are willing to pay, and also don't know who the team has already decided thatthey will be moving on from....Also a player like Stan if he had a pretty good feeling that he was done after this yr has likely told the team...so they can allocate his potential salary gain elsewhere already, and know what they may need to use out of 2023 6game savings for re-upping for 2024 to ease the 2024 SMS ...lots in play, and we will be able to keep whom/what we want...And you can bet Schoen and Lawler will both be back next yr...Bailey too...Especially if we win this yr.....if we don't he may move on

3 hours ago, Booch said:

In all honesty/reality...we don't know what we can afford or are willing to pay, and also don't know who the team has already decided thatthey will be moving on from....Also a player like Stan if he had a pretty good feeling that he was done after this yr has likely told the team...so they can allocate his potential salary gain elsewhere already, and know what they may need to use out of 2023 6game savings for re-upping for 2024 to ease the 2024 SMS ...lots in play, and we will be able to keep whom/what we want...And you can bet Schoen and Lawler will both be back next yr...Bailey too...Especially if we win this yr.....if we don't he may move on

Yeah it’s a huge off season any thing is possible cap wise. We gotta bring back schoen and Brady first and build around that. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'd take dru and strev over just Zach cuz no way we can afford Zach plus brown or strev but we probably could make brown and strev work cap wise but I'm a cold hearted prick who only cares about winning and the future and not the past especially In sports. 

Eventually u gonna have to transition to a younger core group... as a cold hearted prick, I think this off season might be time. We hosting 2025. Some of our guys don't got 2 seasons in them still. 

that’s an interesting point. I’m sure you could have both for less than 600k too. But damn, it’d be hard to walk away from Zach. Tbh I can’t imagine the mafia doing that unless Zach is awful in the post season. They can’t walk away from more mediocre players. 

Streveler is at least as good as Prukop on short yardage and may well be as good as Dru Brown as an understudy to Collaros and thus, realistically could replace both of them, Then scouting could focus on finding a diamond in the rough among the young QBs who have the physical tools but are in need of seasoning- what the 3rd QB designation was intended for.

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

If ZC wins the Cup, there is no way he is traded. No way.

Prukop is good on sneaks,  and when he does decide to keep the ball instead of handing it off he can get some really good yards.   His passing looked awful the other day and was nothing special.

Strev is great on sneaks,  and when HE decides to run with the ball it's magic.  His passing is greatly under rated and before LaPo was getting cute with the play calls and just let him run a basic offense he was making lightning quick decisions and can hit receivers in stride.       I'd imagine 3 years with NFL training has improved the passing game big time.   

Zach is staying until he decides to retire... see his W/L record for any questions on if we ever move on from  him.  

11 hours ago, Nolby said:

Zach will stay in but he doesn't have a history of playing well in cold weather during the playoffs here. If he's struggling and were losing, bringing in anyone to help you win the game should be a possibility.

He's lost one cold-weather game in the past three seasons? Last year's GC? 

On 2023-10-29 at 11:36 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

This is a fun game... I'll play along

1. It's kind of a stupid play... but then again, it's one of those quirky CFL things that is so lovable... let's keep it

2. I think Zach's leash will be very long... Unless he's fumbling and throwing picks left, right and centre... or hurt... I don't see a scenario where he's pulled 

3. If we're ignoring the money... you'd have to think Streveler is the better option... though I am very intrigued by @Goalie's suggestion of a Brown/Streveler combo... maybe we win it all again this year and Zach decides he's had enough... if we could somehow secure both those guys... I would be very happy with that option

Edited by bearpants

I am surprised that with the many qb injuries in the NFL Streveler  hasnt been signed by an NFL team.

Dru  might be a bit better at reading a defence than streveler. 

the dribble kick is an insult to the league.

being an old guy, I like putting in backup qb when starter is struggling. standard procedure at one time.

huffnagle , clements I think.  no idea what the "analytics" say.

trueblueforever could,dig some up maybe.p

Edited by Mark F