Week 7 - E(l)ks @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yup pretty sure Schoen didn't play after getting popped. 

He went to the room with the trainer but came back a few minutes later.  Stayed on the sidelines in full gear but didn't see the field again unless I missed it.

My fault for taking him in the LOTW...

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That was worse than ugly.... Hideous? As Matty Geebs said, it's a win but I'm not ******* happy about it. Any team besides the LOLks beats us tonight. That first quarter was basically an embarrassment. Remember the first two games of the year and how our O looked?? What the **** happened from then to now?

Entertaining game, good to see the Elks play marginally better.

I just watched the game on the PVR,  those first 3 quarters were ugly.    

Kramdi looks like Bambi on ice,  seriously what a liability on the field he was spinning in circles and biting on everything.  

Jeffcoat + Willie whiffing on lots of tackles that made a huge difference in the first half.  Walker had a solid all around game he's under rated.

Mike will be happy that DeMario Houston scored a freebie interception... all while being the only guy who was completely burned on the field for a massive 80 yard TD.  

It was nice seeing some fire or energy and some seriousness from the guys in the 4th quarter,  completely different body language and maybe it was Brady and his intensity rubbing off on the others?

Lawler is friggin awesome,  now if Schoen can get off his cold streak then what a 1 - 2 punch.     

We need to bring in more guys like Daramy-Swaray,  that guy doesn't whiff and is consistent.  

TBD on what happens going forward....  I'm glad they ended on a positive note but that first half was ugly as can be.  Edmonton really wasn't doing anything special at all and we kept giving them chance after chance.   

This BC game will be very interesting (or possibly ugly) to watch.  I hope they wake up during the break.  

Edit:

Forgot about 2 more complaints...

Pru-Crap on his sneaks

Pierce on his play calling for the first 3 quarters... very bland and predictable.  

Edited by Brandon

Well...they did almost everything they could to throw that game away. Ugly win, but I've seen uglier. 

Oline is officially a problem. There were a couple plays to be made out there but Collaros couldn't step into the throws. I'm not too down on Buck after that game, though the predicable run game for the first 3 Qs was frustrating. But Brady also just flat out missed some holes.

Defence, holy hell do we need some DE depth. Hopefully Haba is back after the break, because if I have to watch Bennet come in for Jeffcoat on passing downs 1 more time I'm going to lose it. Bennet has a lot of fight and puts in a lot of effort. But it's literally all for nothing. The guy should just not being seeing the field as much as he is.

Castillo showing he is human. Seems the entire team is struggling right now. But it's a good time to have those.

Shout out to Johnny A and Mcrae for the solid hands on those short kick offs Edmonton was doing (which I love and want the Bombers to do)

10 hours ago, bustamente said:

Eli seeing a lot of game action this week

got 2 holding penalties too, but was solid in the 4th

Edited by Bigblue204

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Didn’t like that call on Cole … he didn’t even hit Cornelius, he ran into him and made a clear effort to pull up. Sell job. 

I thought was an extremely weak call. At the game the flag didn't even come ouut until the LK player came and bumped Cole long after the play was over. I thought it was going to be a misconduct against the LK's lost my shi$t with Proulx announced roughing the passer.

From where I was the hit from Cole looked to be helmet to helmet. I assumed that's why it was called.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Schoen must be hurt.

“I’m a little beat up but I’ll be alright,” he said, appearing in good spirits. “That’s football, you’re gonna take some hits like that and so is what it is.” quote from him in a 3down article.

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Well...they did almost everything they could to throw that game away. Ugly win, but I've seen uglier. 

Oline is officially a problem. There were a couple plays to be made out there but Collaros couldn't step into the throws. I'm not too down on Buck after that game, though the predicable run game for the first 3 Qs was frustrating. But Brady also just flat out missed some holes.

Defence, holy hell do we need some DE depth. Hopefully Haba is back after the break, because if I have to watch Bennet come in for Jeffcoat on passing downs 1 more time I'm going to lose it. Bennet has a lot of fight and puts in a lot of effort. But it's literally all for nothing. The guy should just not being seeing the field as much as he is.

Castillo showing he is human. Seems the entire team is struggling right now. But it's a good time to have those.

Shout out to Johnny A and Mcrae for the solid hands on those short kick offs Edmonton was doing (which I love and want the Bombers to do)

got 2 holding penalties too, but was solid in the 4th

Eli had 2 holding calls?  I only recall Kola getting penalized a couple times.

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Mike will be happy that DeMario Houston scored a freebie interception... all while being the only guy who was completely burned on the field for a massive 80 yard TD.  

It’s not my fault you don’t know what you’re watching. I thought that interception was his second worst play of the game. Should’ve knocked it down, although at that point in the game it was absolutely irrelevant. Did he get burned on that double move? Absolutely. Great job by McAdoo to set that one up. I also think Houston kind of slipped, which isn’t an excuse but hey whatever, it happens.

I’ll stand by my opinion on Houston. I’ll take a combination of him and Nichols that effectively takes the strong majority of the targets away from one side of the field and forces the offense to do all kinds of stuff to free up their preferred receivers. I’m not going to rag on a guy because he gets beat on a double move every now and then. Get back to me when teams stop actively scheming to avoid throwing the ball in his direction as much as they can. 

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Agree. I know Brady is kind of off limits to critique - Winnipeger, loves puppies ... - but I really think he'd be better as a secondary running option. I like him, and I know, he leads the CFL in rushing. But, he's not a threat that opposing defenses game plan around. He's not quick, shifty, and doesn't find holes enough for defensive coordinators to worry about in scheming. Unfair comparison, but he's not prime Andrew Harris. He's a great grind out the end of a game RB; get 4 tough yards RB. I'd like to see another RB share time with him who is a threat to break big runs. Even at UND he had another RB he shared time with. McRae - maybe. Likely someone new. 

Save for a few personnel  tweaks, and some scheme/playcall changes to me a lot of the issues with us almost seems to be a sync/cohesion issue....a bit odd considering the amount of players that came back....but also not considering the injuries and player movement trying to make things work, as well as stocking the cupboard with the right depth and development pieces on the PR

The bye week this yr couldn't have came at a better time, and should allow the coaches to do some deep thinking and figure things out...Some 6 game guys will have had 2 weeks of practice...the bye week and then the week leading up to the BC game to get their legs and wits under them.

Defensively we cannot trot out a front 7 with only 6 dlineman, 2 of which hardly deserve to be on the roster, let alone heavy rotation guys...we are fine at end...excellent with Haba there, or if they bring in Lemon if he out longterm for that 3rd rotational piece...Walker has made me a believer as thats 3 games now he has been disruptive and made plays...so healthy doses of Lawson beside him, and minimal Jake, and a way to get Fox as a DA to help there would do wonders

We cannot...I mean CANNOT run out any combo of Kramdi/Briggs/Mauro with Biggie....or we will see running QB's eat our lunch....for like what....the 5th time next game...enough is enough....Wilson back with Biggie will alleviate one part of that, and if they dont want to use Darby again then use Parker there...a legit fast physical guy who can tackle and lay some wood....and if they dont want to do that...BA would be perfect and able to be involved in the play alot and cause havoc, and Darby could go back to safety, as he prob a better safety than BA anyway save for the big hits....but the big hits are great and all...but a pick or a pass knock down is better

Sort out the DB's and keep them in same spot to gel...Rose and Nichols we know what that would be, and the leadership and smarts of Rose alone would be beneficial more than anything....ADS needs to stay on..as he gets better and better and never misses taking a guy down...Houston I think as well is fine on the other corner....he's still learning and gets bet the odd time...but what DB doesn't, and how can you take out a guy with a penchant for getting a turnover...and I know u all drool over Holm's member...and the media is too....but we would be a better defence with Parker or AD at the halfback spot...see more upside there...more physicality and way better tackling...which we need bigtime...he's done some good things...everyone has...but he also gets targeted...a lot...and there is a reason for it...plus he has the physicality of a teenage girl...no offence to any teenage girls, but thats a big issue ...he'd be a great extra DB tho right now as he could slot in to a few positions and I guess retirn a kick or 2....but that be a bit sketchy too as his times he has done it since he been here haven't been very comforting

Fix these lil things up...allow them to get in sync and re-familiarize themselves with one another....and things should be fine if our Co-ordinators get their heads out their butts before the 4th quarter

Just now, Geebrr said:

Houston definitely tried to jump a route when Cornelius pump faked and got caught - he also definitely tripped.

Mitchell is also a good receiver with speed. 

I’ll definitely take it, it’s going to happen with the cover corners who don’t see a lot of targets. It was the same thing with Alford. Often gets forgotten that the other team gets paid to play too. Just as much as Houston can jump a route successfully, the other team can bait him successfully.

Overall, I’d take Houston as easily one of the top 2-3 corners in the CFL. Seems like guys like BVD prefer a player like Abu who gets targeted 10 times a game for 6 first downs, because he limits gains to just past the first down marker as a sure tackler. That’s not to rag on ADS either, but there’s an obvious reason why teams are picking on him - it’s better than throwing it to the other side of the field.

7 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Agree. I know Brady is kind of off limits to critique - Winnipeger, loves puppies ... - but I really think he'd be better as a secondary running option. I like him, and I know, he leads the CFL in rushing. But, he's not a threat that opposing defenses game plan around. He's not quick, shifty, and doesn't find holes enough for defensive coordinators to worry about in scheming. Unfair comparison, but he's not prime Andrew Harris. He's a great grind out the end of a game RB; get 4 tough yards RB. I'd like to see another RB share time with him who is a threat to break big runs. Even at UND he had another RB he shared time with. McRae - maybe. Likely someone new. 

Harris was never quick or shifty either, he just had that spin and hurdle that Brady doesnt. Brady is a beast though and will grind you down. That run in the 4th where he lowered his pads and mashed that Elks linebacker into a fine paste was a thing of beauty. He's never going to win a footrace to the endzone, but thats O'Shea/Bomber football and the type you need to grind out wins in the cold playoffs. No one wanted to tackle Brady last night in the 4th quarter. He was punishing them. Love me a big back.

20 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I wish MOS laid into Briggs for two dog **** tackling efforts on Crum last week like he went in on Cole after. 

thats one his boi' s tho...and u will never see it

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s not my fault you don’t know what you’re watching. I thought that interception was his second worst play of the game. Should’ve knocked it down, although at that point in the game it was absolutely irrelevant. Did he get burned on that double move? Absolutely. Great job by McAdoo to set that one up. I also think Houston kind of slipped, which isn’t an excuse but hey whatever, it happens.

I’ll stand by my opinion on Houston. I’ll take a combination of him and Nichols that effectively takes the strong majority of the targets away from one side of the field and forces the offense to do all kinds of stuff to free up their preferred receivers. I’m not going to rag on a guy because he gets beat on a double move every now and then. Get back to me when teams stop actively scheming to avoid throwing the ball in his direction as much as they can. 

Yeah...every guy will get beat...and eat a double move....But him and Rose will be our best corner combo in whatever spot they use them

13 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

with our offence tho...he shouldn't have to be...and he hits hole hard now, so 8 to 20 yard pops at a time while he is punishing guys, and taking their will to get in the way is perfect...when we get back to using some misdirection and incorporate Demski and Bailey into the run game...to really open up the intermediate to deep areas for Lawler and Schoen...and come Oct and Nov....u really thik a defense is gonna like having a guy like BO trucking them all game?....I know I wouldnt